1st DWC complete!

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by shortnbushy, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Hi guys,
    First solo grow, 2 plants. RP kandy kush and Barneys Vanilla Kush (did 2, 5 years ago with friends. Both NFT. Had some success but not great).
    Was really excited to see how well I could do with DWC so took the plunge. All of the root rot stories certainly kept me awake at night and I decided first of all to work with sterile so, H2O2 it was. All went well to begin with apart from my kandy kush not rooting properly but after taking her out and potting her deeper off she went and there was no stopping them from then on! Topped once and vegged for around 7.5 weeks under 250w MH. Flipped with 400w hps for 1 week and then upped to 600w. Light scrog (more for support) in 1.5×1m tent. Green air genesis nutrients (3 part, no additives).
    Since I used a scrog in some form it created an issue - cleaning the res. I decided that boosting the plants off the floor so I could drain was the best idea but that still meant I couldn't lift the plants or work on roots. This left me with one solution - innoculant. I was a bit sceptical about going from sterile to live but I had no choice... hydroguard it was! I decided to stop checking roots 1 week into flower because all I was doing was driving myself crazy with worry. The plants looked healthy and everything was going well. At about week 7 a heatwave hit and the plants ended up a bit heat stressed, a week later - naners! I panicked but figured it would be 2 more weeks at most and there was nothing I could do, so I picked them off and carried on. I planned on giving these girls 9 weeks but the kandy had other plans, the pistils just weren't darkening so, another week it was. On the 70th day, after a 7 day flush and 48hrs dark, I chopped them. I had no idea how much was there or how it would turn out, my humidity was high (60ish) and I just wanted to start the drying. I trimmed all of the fan leaves, created a make shift drying room in my tent and away we went. 8 days later they were ready for the jars! I bought 2 of the biggest jars I could find, one for each plant - I ended up needing 5!
    Results - the kandy is exactly how I wanted it, it's been a long time since I've had it and it's always been a favourite of mine. Dense bugs sticky with resin and a sickly sweet lemon and fuel aroma. For the past 2 nights I've smoked this and for the past 2 nights I've fallen asleep on the sofa. hard hitting sugary sweet pure relaxation, no anxiety just bliss! Interestingly I did find some pollen sacks when I chopped this girl, very small under the buds. I put it down to heat stress late on but after reading alot of bad reports about RP I do wonder.
    The vanilla - ah where to begin, huge swollen calyx buds, mostly purple with dark green hues and dark orange hairs, absolutely caked in resin glands give way to a floral vanilla cake type smell. Some of the best cannabis I've ever witnessed myself, and alot of other people have said the same. Another heavy hitter, ultra couch lock sedative high. The taste compliments the smell with hints of floral bouquets and vanilla with a cake like sweetness from thick plumes of smoke on every puff.
    Overall I yielded 7.7oz from the kandy and 7.3oz from the vanilla, giving me 15oz and a few grams of premium buds plus 2 1/2 oz of trim and lower buds. This will keep me going for a while!
    Total seeds found - 2 immature!
    A stressful but rewarding experience. Happy growing people!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bud shots

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Nice grow welcome to dwc where did you get the buckets at?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

4. Thanks man! I'm UK I bought them from a hydro shop locally.
    They're IWS Oxtpots can be used singly (as I did) or you can use them as an rdwc. They're decent but they do leak at the join so some ptfe tape and DIY required. Also discovered that some insulation in summer is a must! Such a job keeping the temps down.

5. What's your temp running? I'm about 75-78° F not sure in C° I use a hydroguard like product to keep the algae from growing.. But I know what you mean it gets hot here in Missouri as well. Luckily the temps have been mild here.

6. Max temp was around 75f (24c) hydroguard definitely saved me as just before I used it there was a slight bit of brown forming on the kandy. I know over there you can get a much stronger concentrate of the hydroguard bacteria but they don't sell it here unfortunately! I also put a high powered air pump in between the 2 plants so I was effectively running 2 main air stones in there which I'm sure helped aswell.
    I've stepped away from dwc until winter now as I can't deal with the stress. I'm currently running a coco/peat/bat guano and feeding canna a + b and so far so good, flower starts tomorrow!
    How are your roots looking? Are you getting away with running high temps?

• Like Like x 1
  7. I didn't mention I run rdwc so the water is constantly moving and I have 4 air stones in 3 containers.

Edit: Don't know if it helps but I run RO water as well..

Here is my system.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Looks awesome man, super healthy! What strains are you running?
    I though about rdwc but space constrains me..
    RO water was another want but a bit pricey for my needs so I use concentrated vit C for dechlorination and it seems to work.
    Can't wait to bust the buckets back out in a couple months and watch them explode again!

• Like Like x 1