1995 cavalier turn signal flasher

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by blazedasfuck, Jun 20, 2012.

1. So I bought a 95 cavalier ls 4 door last night. It needs a new turn signal flasher for the blinkers to work. I have located the hazard flasher, but I cannot find the turn signal one. There is two of them I have had plenty of people explain to me where it is but I still cannot find it. If somebody has a better explanation or a picture or diagram would be great. It is really frustrating.

2. Are you looking for the fuse or the relay for the blinkers?

3. Google it......

4. I was looking for the relay but I found it today after a few beers.

And google it? are you kidding me? I spent hours on that damn website trying to find a diagram.

I was told it was on the right side of the steering column above the right knee absorber plate. I was over thinking it and it was practically right in front of my face the whole time. The hazard relay was attached to a box with the prongs and the blinker relay is attached with two wires with plastic clips so it didn't even register in my head that it was the blinker relay. After a couple beers though I dumbed down a bit and saw it chillin there. haha

5. Fixed and ready to blink?

6. yep went up to o'reilly's today and got the new relay, fucking crazy trip I live outside of superior/duluth and we got a bunch of rain so there's water everywhere and a lot roads are fucked

The relay was $3.09

I also bought a new front wheel hub bearing like $55.00

BUT........ I went to change my oil today and the drain plug was a little rounded and my damn 12 point socket made it more rounded then I resorted to vise grips and completely fucked it. I'll figure out what to do about that after I change the hub bearing so I can drive it around.

7. So in case anybody happens to come accross this thread I thought I might post what happened

Well, today I changed the front drivers side hub bearing. It took me a couple hours but it was about as hard as I thought it would be. After I get it on I take it for a test drive and still hear the grinding noise.

I took it to my uncle's house and he takes it for a drive. We jack it up and sure as shit it's the front passenger side hub bearing.

He also tried to get the drain plug out of my oil pan but that didn't come out. I will try welding a larger nut onto the drain plug and unscrewing it tomorrow after I do the other fucking hub bearing. At least I have the old driver's side one that is still in good shape. Either way though, FUCK!

8. I'd take a hub assembly like you have over most import press-in bearings any day of the week :)

Why did it take you so long? The last cavalier hub assembly i did took about 30-40 minutes.

9. Yeah, if it had the press in bearings I would have just sold the car haha

The reason why it took me so long is because the allen wrench I had was too big to fit in at any good angle and the two bolts holding the caliper on were rusty and corroded. 1-2 hours and a shit-ton of pb blaster later, I finally got them out. When I got to the bolts that you need the T55 torx bit for, they were super easy so that was a life saver.

It's not that difficult of a job with what you have to do, actually it is quite elementary. It is however, a pain in the ass when bolts are frozen in and you do the wrong side, plus you have no power tools what so ever. I even had to borrow a socket because I didn't have one large enough to take the hub nut off. I also had to borrow a torque wrench too. Thank god I have a mechanic in the family.

10. Right on man, i forget most people dont have air and gas. Makes things 100 times easier. Rust is a bitch ain't it? I probably would have banked to do both sides anyways. The assemblies are cheap and they are common on those cars.

11. Brake fluid works better then pb or wd. ;) Try that next time.

12. Yes, rust is a major bitch. As soon as I woke up this morning I grabbed that 30mm socket to take the hub nut off, there's that rust again. Sprayed it with pb and I am currently looking for a pipe or something to go over the ratchet to use as a breaker bar. I would kill for an impact driver right now.

13. The ethers in brake fluid do eat rust, but I need a penetrating oil to get inside the stuck bolts, if I could get the brake fluid in there it would work, maybe if I mixed it with a penetrating oil it work work for me.