1984 is Here

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by fAKdded, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Well isn't it?

I was stoned, taking a ride in an elevator, looked up at that little camera, and realized... I'm Winston smith. The society we live in is constantly being shaped molded and spoon fed bullshit. Were fighting a war against the shadow foe, and the wars never stop....

They spit out statistics and numbers , I mean it's just everything, It's all there.

Like a bad trip, its all fucking here....

If there is hope, It lies in the proles?

2. Ive felt that way for some time. Highly paranoid at this point. They put cameras on all the stoplights around my house, and there are three that face my apartment from a buisness across the street.

the media is nothing but puppet theater, though i sometimes think that there is so much misinformation and disinformation on the internet, that its so hard to interpret truth, though the internet is much more viable than CNN and FOX

3. Hey man, if you're not doing anything wrong, what're you afraid of?

;)

4. not yet. where's the thought police?

5. I completely agree that there are unprecedented invasions of privacy today, and that the media as a whole works constantly to subtly shape the perception of every event by every man, woman, and child along pre-determined tracks. It's unconscionable and unnecessary.

However, the book 1984 is about the total loss of freedom, and even the loss of the capacity for free thought. I think that to call today's situation equivalent to the world depicted in 1984 cheapens the sentiment that the book tried to convey, and results in people not taking your (completely valid) complaints seriously.

Just my two cents.

6. If you think 1984 was scary read Brave New World. The book illustrates how technology ruins society and its becomes pretty clear that this is exactly what is happening.

7. See, I've never liked the term "Dystopian Literature"

I mean.... one man's dystopia is another man's utopia.

Maybe the only way humans can co-exist peacefully and productively is if we forgo everything that makes us human.

8. Far more likely in my book than 1984. However, I think Brave New World is aimed at the left-brainers.

9. #9 someoneorother2, Aug 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2008
  10. "Wrong" in who's eyes? Society?

I smoke weed daily, but harm no one. I don't look at it as the right thing to do. I don't look at it the wrong thing to do. But if I'm causing no harm then it's alright with me. :smoking:

Ben Harper, ftw.

But I don't want someone who thinks the easy, simple, things I do are wrong to be up-in-my-business all the time.

11. Yep. Been feeling this way for some time now. Glad to see others see it like that.

12. Consciousness? I disagree completely...it is our consciousness that we must open and expand....once a mind is opened enough it will gravitate more toward Love (as opposed to Fear). The phrase "Be the change you want to see in the world" was not a suggestion to make you happier, it was a solution to the problem we have as citizens of this planet. When we start to open our minds on the mass level, instead of the maybe one tenth or so of the world population that has attempted to, those personal changes will change the world at large for the better. Until then the world is at war with itself, and we're going to have to deal with video cameras.

13. The ideas presented in 1984, are interesting similar to what is today...

14. It is a slowly decaying society spoonfed with false morals and hopeless promises. The sad thing is that it will never end.

15. I've never read 1984... I did read animal farm, and liked it a lot, I'll need to find 1984.

16. It's one of the better reads out there, IMO. Orwell is timeless. A genius.

17. #17 mrblonde77, Aug 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2008
    Watching you. Are you too naive to keep up with your own government?

Source: http://www.motherjones.com/commentary/columns/2008/01/homegrown-terrorism.html

http://www.democracynow.org/2008/7/21/docs_reveal_maryland_state_police_spied

18. Of course it will end. Everything ends.

Unfortunately we'll all be dead before it ends :(.

19. We have to just keep our spirits up. :) As long as we can do that, we'll be alive.

20. It may or may not be here, Kinda like, we way may or may not be in a recession?

Especially with outlets like myspace or facebook, why would you want random people to know what you're saying to you're friends? It's fucking weird.

Hardcore ego?

[box]<think