18-8-8 Time Release Ferts bad?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by stonehenge919, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Before i knew anything about time release ferts i went out looking for some ferts only by number 20-10-10. I came across this time release 18 8 8 and was like wow this is really close so i bought it. I added half the dosage a few weeks ago. some of my bottom leaves now have brow pok-a-dots which i think is fert burn because thats why i think my edges are turning yellow on leaves and a few have some brown pok-a-dots. Am i in trouble? acording to some other threads i think i am.... let me know and if there is a solution

thanks

2. you need to flush your ladies now!! whatever size your container is id say dump about three times that amount through your containers. hopefully you have drain holes. if so get to flushing! other wise make some and flush. (not sure if the three gal. is the correct formula for flushing but i think that would be sufficient.)
    and stop using that time release stuff. ive never used it myself but i hear that it releases different amounts of nutes when releasing causing your burn spots. you need something you can regulate. look around there is tons of shit out there.
    good luck.....

3. I would have to say it is definately your problem. You can save your plants by flushing as mentioned above. Yes, Phyx, the norm for a good flush is 3 gl's water to every gl of soil; in other words, 1 gl pot would get 3 gl water, 2 gl would get 6 gl, etc....

A good flush w/ PH balanced water and allow the soil to completely dry out and water as usual w/ just plain water again. After that, find some good nutes. I will be the first to admit I cut cost as much as possible in my grows, however I never skimp on nutes. I buy what is on sale, but I always use quality 3 part nutes, molasses, and Cal/Mag. Granted this can run about $50-$60 but they usually last me about 4 or 5 grows since I only grow for persoanl use and my grows are small.

Drop some money and get some good nutes, but flush those plants first or you will lose them.

less

4. flushing will get rid of the nutes? They are like little pebbles. I crushed one and touched it to my tongue and that shit burned LIKE CRAZY. Flushing cant lead to over watering correct? My soil ph is perfect but reguards to that i take it my plants are getting burned.

5. That is definately not good nutes to use. The hard or pebble like ferts should always be dissolved in water before adding to soil. If you just added these "pebbles" to your soil you are sure to run into problems. Flushing will help somewhat, but not much. This is why I have ask and ask for a nute sub forum so people can ask specific questions regarding nutes.

I do not like saying this, but your plants will most likely continue to burn. Your PH being perfect will not help much b/c the plant will continue to absorb the nutes until it burn up or root lockout occurs. Flushing is your best option right now, and hopefully it will lower a decent amount of the nutes.

less

6. I agree that flushing does only so much for time-released ferts -- those little pellets will not fully dissolve and wash away with a flushing. What you really need to do is transplant into new soil that doesn't have the time-released ferts in it.

Usually when you transplant you want to keep all of the soil from the first pot and put the whole root ball and soil into the new pot, in order to not disturb the roots. In this case, however, I suggest you very gently try to brush and rinse away some soil from the root ball once it is out of the old pot and before going into the new one, in order to get rid of as much of the time-released ferts as possible.

And stonehenge, flushing does not in and of itself lead to overwatering. Overwatering is caused by watering too frequently such that the soil always stays moist. Saturating the soil actually is what you want to do in a single watering, and then let the soil dry out a bit before the next watering. When you look at a flush purelyl from the standpoint of watering, it is simply a saturation of the soil, no big deal. You can't put more water in the soil than it can hold, the excess will just run off. Treat a flush like a watering, so wait after a flush until the soil dries out a bit before the next watering.

7. Im using a 5 gallon bucket as a pot. Last night i flushed it with twenty gallons of ph adjusted water. Would you recommend a transplant to save the plant or will it be alright? What do you think

8. i think the question has already been answered. go back and reread.......

9. I have only transplanted once before. I used my outside hose to just wash all the soil off the roots. This worked excellent. Although its cold out here about 40 Degrees give or take. Would taking the plant outside be a bad idea in these temps? Whats the most efficent way to tackle this situation?

10. #10 Phyx, Feb 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2009
    i guess you missed the "be gentle" part. lol........

11. Well im gentle when i do it. I dont use a pressure nozzle or anything nor do i turn the water on all the way. What i do is lay the pot down and rinse away as much soil i can. Just keep rotating it. I think it works good cause the hose pushes all the soil out of the pot as your doing it. Like i said before its fairly cold out so i dont think i will be using this method. Also if this method is bad to ever use i will never use it again. You know any good links for transplanting?

12. i found this to be interesting,.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDZrS2KJJow"]YouTube - Grass transplanting[/ame]

13. Thanks. Ill check that out soon as i get home

14. #14 stonehenge919, Feb 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2009
    that looks easy enough, only thing. How long does hat take? my plant is just over a month old and is pretty big. its in a 5 gallon pot of fox farm ocean floor. How do i do this?

Do i just reach my hands down into the bucket as far as i can and scoop the entire thing out of the pot? I have to re use the same bucket cause i have nothing else so ill have to do something with the pot until the new soil is put in.

15. Wow, I didn't realize it's in a 5 gal bucket. It's easy to transplant to a bigger pot but can be tricky to remove soil from the root ball and then try to transplant back into the original-sized pot. I'd hate to have you bust up your roots trying to do that, and I presume you don't want to go to a bigger pot, so you may be better off waiting to see if the flush worked, possibly flush again once the soil dries out.

16. does Any of this have anything to do with my new growth on top turning yellow today? Is this a different problem?