18-24h light on last day ?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by MfBaker, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Been thinking about possibly trying something where I hit em with am extra 6-12 of light on the last day, then 24 dark. Anyone do anything like this or tried?

Just seems like maybe a few extra hours of light will plump them more possibly, a few extra hours of pure bud growth, would the first day really be enough to shock them back into a veg mode? Or is it really just pointless since the plants are planning on shutting down at a certain time anyways?

I've debated on it for a while, and never done it, possibly for good reason, lol. But just wanted to see if anyone has any experiece or thoughts as to how that would really effect(or not) the end product.

Cheers!
    :smoke:

2. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how this'll work, but it's pretty interesting. Can't wait for a pro to post some advice.

3. when you harvest all your plants leave one and see how it works. nothing like trying it yourself

4. Hey baker, I do this at the end of all my harvest, sometimes I do 48 light 48 dark and no it won't revert them to veg, it's not enough time for the hormones to react, also I do notice a little "umph" in growth because of it

5. Cool, that's all i need, lol! That's sorta what I was thinking/hoping. I am gonna try a 24/24 to start. It's actually only one lights worth that has gone a lil longer than the rest. I'll probably try a 36/36 or 48/48 on the next one :cool:

6. Ne body ever tried puttin 24/0 then 0/0 then 24/0 & 0/0(for 2days) again?

7. If you add all that up it would just be 48/0. :smoke

8. I'm not sure if me not being exact with my lights has any effect on gender though, kinda scary, I'd hate to lose any of my babies.

9. You can't have 0/0 it has to add up to 24 hours. The first figure being light hours and the second figure being dark hours

im guessing your suggesting 24/0 - 0/24 - 24/0 - 0/24... And so on. it equates to 12/12 obviously buy I guess the plant will be back and forth from veg to flower day by day. It will most likely stress the plants into hermaphroditing but an interesting idea non the less

10. [quote name='"jetski"']

You can't have 0/0 it has to add up to 24 hours. The first figure being light hours and the second figure being dark hours

im guessing your suggesting 24/0 - 0/24 - 24/0 - 0/24... And so on. it equates to 12/12 obviously buy I guess the plant will be back and forth from veg to flower day by day. It will most likely stress the plants into hermaphroditing but an interesting idea non the less[/quote]

Ya thats wat i meant lol. I wonder if itd be good. I might do it to my outdoor plant. ill bring it inside for the last few days

11. [quote name='"bigheist"']

Ya thats wat i meant lol. I wonder if itd be good. I might do it to my outdoor plant. ill bring it inside for the last few days[/quote]

Doing that is fine and the plant wouldn't go from veg to flower and back and forth like the previous poster stated, changing cycle like that takes time and a constantly changing dark cycle, but I will say that having this cycle wouldn't neccesarily increase yeild or trich production because the number of hours its in the dark determines harvest time btw that would be interesting to try on an outdoor plant please report your findings :D

12. I'm afraid your wrong twice in that statement. Hours of darkness do not determine harvesting time. it finishes at a pre determined amount of time after it goes into and stays in the flowering cycle.

while the plant is in darkness it produces a hormon that tells the plant to start producing flowers. Sunlight degrades this hormone. The more hormone that is produced and the less it is degraded the more it will flower. Plants get their food from the sunlight so there is a trade off and an obvious happy medium. This being commonly agreed at 12/12.

Having a plant in 24 hours dark will produce the max amount of hormone for that day, then most will be degraded the following day. So obviously on the outside it will not appear that it is going in and out of the flower cycle inside it will be a different story. As I said the idea is interesting

13. Btw I was talking about doing this constantly, not just the last day as doing it only the last day will unlikely do anything