150w security HPS

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Jubagel, Jan 9, 2009.

1. just found these on craigslist, dude wanted $70, talked him down to $60 for both

(2) 150w HPS security lights

300w HPS flowering power total

anyone have any ideas on how i can efficiently cool these?

Attached Files:

2. hey i just put 4 ove them on my side walls took them apart and drilled holes in the back and mounted comp fan on back side ove lights they didnt throw to much heat

3. bump...

anyone else got any experience with these?

4. If you are handy, you can actually build a small air cooled hood for them, or make a cool tube for them. I have one of those in my veg box inside a cool tube.

5. ok i tried looking but no success. could anyone point me in the right direction of taking the light apart so that i can make an aircooled hood for it?

6. is there any srcews holding the metal around the light together if so unsrcew them and take all apart find best spot were you could mount your fan and drill some wholes with a good metal bit then secure the fan wire together make duct work exhaust out of room

7. #9 Synned, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2009
  8. how hot do those 150 watt hps from the link above get? I was thinking about getting one and putting it in place of my ~200 watts of cfl's that im using. I dont know if i could cool a 250 watt light so i was thinking that 150 watt one. anyone use this light? im growing in a cab thats 24"wX16.5"dX48"h. I have a 200 cfm fan for exhaust and passive intakes...5 2-inch pvc elbows. also have 2 small clip fans blowing inside the cab at all times. thanks for any help....sorry this is scattered and choppy, im baked.

9. yea....wut he said..:smoke:

10. Yeah I have one... they really don't get so hot,.. if you take them apart and rewire the socket.... patch in a coupla feet in the socket wires... keep the ballast outside the box...mount the bulb inside the box... I wanted the advantges of both,... so I put my 150 watt hps inside a little mini cooltube. Even without the tube... the bulb itself only raised my temp 5 degrees fahrenheit.

11. this is now on my list of things to buy and upgrade with my cab. Im excited to see that difference between what my cfl's can do, compared to an hps. Thanks.

12. If I was really richie rich Id have all the ubber stuff like a digital/plasma sun light source with a nitrogen cooled crazy cool tube all inside a space ship orbating on the dark side of the moon perfectly LMAO!!!....

Ok, I actually thought of this for a while.... Im High.... x-cuse me

[​IMG]

13. ok so i took apart these lights and this is what i found

the guy i bought them off was using them for growing so they are already wired into a grounded socket (i can plug them in the wall and they will power up)

i want to take these and construct a cool tube but i am uncertain on ballasts and what not, i don't know too much about electricity and what not

could anyone tell me what these "doohickys" in this box are and what they do?

any tips?

Attached Files:

14. yeah man, I'm with you,... this is simple as Pie,... we can talk you right through this...

1. Locate the 2 wires that connect the socket and cut them so you can wire nut a piece on both sides.
    2. take two pieces of wire(the same gauge) cut to the length you want. .
    3. connect the two pieces to the to connecting wires inside the box, and connect to the socket. now you have your bulb on a length of wire that you can work with.

To construct a cooltube you are gonna need hurricane glass or a wilton bake-a-round some 4 inch flexible ducting, some duct clamps, some insulated aluminum tape, two fans ( I used two 115 vac axial fans) and 2-4 inch duct collars and I used cafe rod holders to suspend my hps bulb inside the tube. There are plenty of threads

The parts inside the box are the ballast...