150w HPS or 400w CFL?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by FragileBob, Mar 16, 2013.

1. #1 FragileBob, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2013
    I'm in the middle of my first grow and I'm noticing the buds look like they'll end up on the small side and may be a bit fluffy.

Thought I would start getting ready for round two and am curious what the common thought is between a 150w hps or 4x 105w CFL lights.

I'm currently running the 4x 105w CFLs.

My box is small so a bigger hps would cause heat issues. Size is 24"x24"x30". And this will be for a single plant or possible two smaller plants.

Thanks in advance.

-FragileBob

2. Use the cfls as long as you're optimizing them by using different angles to get light where it normally wouldn't reach.

Otherwise the Hps is probly better because it has better canopy penetration

3. #3 BrassNwood, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2013
    this is just my take..24x24 footprint is just at the edge of a 250 HID..little big but not that HUGE,, seen more in smaller..look for a dimmable switchable..250/400/600 HID-MH-HPS..that'll cover both phases of a grow..and you'll have the power to crank on during flower if you need it..guys will run double the watts during flower to make up for the lack of lamp on time..and most grows get bigger as time passes.. you won't need to be buying a bigger setup..wheel and deal with a local shop if you can..makes returns easy and worth paying a few bucks more for..

As far as heat issues go with HID your box will actually run cooler as the single ballast will be outside your grow box..and thats 75% of the heat maker with HID..can't do that with CFLs..

4. #4 FragileBob, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2013
    So... wait...
    The ballast is where the majority of the heat is on a HID? I thought the bulb itself was the heat source. How much heat are we talking? Say 10" away.

Holy crap this changes everything.

Damn it... Lol

-FragileBob

5. have a look at my light..that coil out on top is the ballast .. after it's been on a few hours it'll fry skin it's so hot .. the 70 watt lamp inside the box you can get your hand right up next to it .. i wouldn't actually touch it but it's not throwing off that much heat..

if i'da known then what i know now..ohh well ..my trouble is it'll get way to hot in a couple of months to keep my box on..can't justfy buying a nice light till i figure a better place for the box.. the garden shed will hit 120 or more come summer.. so thats not gonna work at all..but by then i'll have plants outside so it's a moot point i guess