150W Compact Fluoro

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by teledingo, May 16, 2006.

1. So this thing's a beast.... 150 watts and over 10K lumens, and not the heat problems associated with HID...

anybody have any experience using these? they are a bit pricey, about $70 a bulb, bit otherwise seem pretty good for a closet grow

any thoughts?

2. They work good... Look around for a better deal tho....

3. you can't just screw that into a normal outlet and be good to go. You know that, right?

4. For $70 you can go with a HID. Give you over twice as many lumens.

5. Yes naturally youd need to get the proper mogul for it; I'd probably get the mogul and both the cool-veg light and the warm-bud light.

I am interested in it because I'll most likely do a closet grow where space, and hence heat, would be an issue. I think even a small HPS would end of being more trouble than its worth, heat-wise, since I do not have the option of getting air cooled hoods, drilling holes into adjoining rooms, of having exhaust tubing snaking out my window.

6. it may also need a ballast, I'd check up on that.

7. the ballast/mogul are one in the same in this instance....

While I appreciate everyone's concerns about the specs, my interest lies in hearing from people who have actually used one of these... i know you're out there. I can see you. :wave:

8. up: I wish you told me abot that mogul thing in my thread a while back before I bought similar ones :(

I still need to return them now, and get regular flouros

9. dont need to do anything rash, coyote - you can get the moguls for like $15...

check out this:

<TABLE borderColor=#cccccc cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=600 border=1><TBODY><TR bgColor=#ebebeb><TD><CENTER>[SIZE=+1]Mogul Socket Adapter [/SIZE]</CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <CENTER><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=600 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="16%" rowSpan=12>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width="84%" colSpan=5>[SIZE=-1]The mogul socket adapter allows you to screw a compact fluorescent grow light bulb into a standard light socket. Simply screw a compact fluorescent light into the mogul socket end and screw the adapter into any standard household light socket.[/SIZE]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><CENTER><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=550 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=209 height=40><CENTER>[SIZE=+1]Mogul Socket Adapter[/SIZE] </CENTER></TD><TD width=211 height=40><FORM action=http://www.cartserver.com/sc/cart.cgi method=post>
    [SIZE=+1]Price:[/SIZE][SIZE=+1] $14.95 [/SIZE] <INPUT type=hidden value="a-4057^5613125^Mogul Socket Adapter^14.95^op2^^^ea.^1.1^" name=item> qty: <INPUT size=2 value=1 name=op2> ​
    </TD><TD width=130 height=40> <INPUT type=image height=24 alt="Add to Cart" width=100 src="http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/addtocart.gif" border=0 name=add> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER></CENTER><CENTER><CENTER></CENTER><CENTER></CENTER></CENTER><CENTER></CENTER> <TABLE borderColor=#cccccc cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=600 border=1><TBODY><TR bgColor=#ebebeb><TD><CENTER></FORM>[SIZE=+1]Mogul Socket Assembly[/SIZE] </CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <CENTER><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=600 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="22%" rowSpan=12>[SIZE=-7][/SIZE][​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width="78%" colSpan=5>[SIZE=-1]Mogul socket assembly for compact fluorescent grow light bulbs. Simply screw the bulb into the socket and plug it into a standard 110/120 volt outlet. Includes an commercial grade ceramic socket, 8' grounded power cord, chrome V hanger.[/SIZE] </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><CENTER><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=550 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=252 height=40><CENTER>[SIZE=+1]Mogul Socket Assembly[/SIZE] </CENTER></TD><TD width=221 height=40><FORM action=http://www.cartserver.com/sc/cart.cgi method=post>
    [SIZE=+1]Price:[/SIZE][SIZE=+1] $29.95 [/SIZE] <INPUT type=hidden value="a-4057^5613120^Mogul Socket Assembly^29.95^op2^^^ea.^5.1^" name=item> qty: <INPUT size=2 value=1 name=op2> ​
    </TD><TD width=127 height=40> <INPUT type=image height=24 alt="Add to Cart" width=100 src="http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/addtocart.gif" border=0 name=add5> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FORM></CENTER></CENTER>

10. Wow that Mogul Socket assembly thing is exactly what I need. How many whats does that thing take?

Can you get them in most hardware stores?

Im from the UK.. are they available over here?

Sorry for the questions but that looks the dogs mate!

11. hiya geefunk

i see them for sale along with the 150 and 200 watt bulbs, so I'm sure it could handle those just fine.

these are of course intended for U.S. electric currents, so would probably be useless for you.

i have never seen them at hardware stores. ive only ever seen them available at hydroponic stores or on-line.

not very helpful, i know - but there must be a good hydro store somewhere in you neck of the world.

cheers!

12. Cheers mate.

Im going for a really cheap first grow so I can get a knowledge of the soil, wtering, nutes etc.

Thinking 3 or 4 CFL bulbs in a stealth grow.

Basically i just want a plug from the wall with a length of wire with a CFL bulb on the end for as cheap as possible with minimum electrical tinkering that is needed.

Thinking of just buying a load or really cheap desk lamps that will take 40watt bulbs and just stripping all the cosmetic stuff of em and then mounting them so they are adjustable.

what you think?

Any other way of a cheap 4 bulb floro set up

(sorry to hyjack the thread)

13. Lumens are rated at 1 foot distance standard.
    Light diminishes by distance : twice the distance, quarter of the light.

You can get you plant much closer to a CFL then a HID or HPS.

You are right on the money, when it comes down to the heat issue.
    Go for CFL or just fluro-tubes.
    I'm a fluro glower too so good luck to you buddy and keep us posted, with pics preferred.