150 watt HPS in closet too hot???

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by wanabegrenthumb, Jul 26, 2011.

1. hello I am setting up my buddy to do one or two plants in his closet. I was wondering if anyone here has a 150 hps running in a similar setup? My questions are:

if ventilated will it still be too hot?? (3x4x8 closet)
    should this light be able to take care of 2 plants?
    should he spend the extra money on a digital ballast to use MH and HPS bulbs?

I have a 400 HPS running in the same size area with 3 plants, but I have plumed in A/C to the room and have an air cooled hood.

2. I'm running a 150w HPS on three plants at the moment.In an open space, it does heat up to around 80F with the lights on in a 60 degree basement so it will definitely get hot in a closet, but should be ok with the right ventilation. I'm kinda new but from what I've read HPS bulbs cover the needed light spectrums for both veg and flowering stages (someone can, and will probably call me on that if I'm wrong), so you should be good with just an HPS buld no need for the MH unless you really want.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I have grown a few times........ I have never used a light this small so I wasn't sure if it would be as hot....

But thanks for the input I think he's going for it though!!

4. i have a 150w closet set up. it puts off little heat.; more than cfls but still not hot enough to burn the plant. i have only 1 plant in an area similar to yours and i noticed after 2 weeks into flowering i had to add 2700k cfl for lower lighting. i have no fan in there at this time and the light does not burn the leaves. however i noticed the hps i have , the bulb has lost a considerable amount of its intensity only after 3 weeks. so i may need a new bulb or a better one that may end up creating more heat.

5. That's what I was looking for I knew I wasn't the first person to go this route. What is the temp inside your house? And what is the temp in your grow space?

I really appreciate the help! I want him to go with a 150 hps instead of cfls or floros!

Is this your first grow in this setup?

6. yea it is my first grow. well iv grown before outside but this is my first indoor grow that has entered the flower stage. being that it is my first indoor grow im learning as i go along. so some of the more technical stuff i cant help with. temp in the house ranges from 73-76 degrees. and in the grow closet with the light on for 12 hours it only raises it a few degrees. the hottest i have seen it was, 83 degrees and that was with the hps, two 300w 2700k bulbs running at the same time. i think i may have some issues with my hps though because it has drastically lost its intensity as well as heat. it does not have as much of a orangish tint to it as it did just 3 weeks ago. i do not know if that is normal or not. and i should mention that when it was brand new 3 weeks ago it was a little hotter so that said i dont know if will be any help as you can tell i need help as well. but i think the 150 is great for small spaces where heat is a concern. u know any thing about stretch? the last week or so , where i topped early in veg phase, has just exploded and seems to grow 2-3 inches over night. is that normal? i think im going to need a bigger closet lol

7. You always need a bigger closet! hahahahaha

Thank You for the info big help!!!!!

it should stretch a little more in flower than in veg. The plants build up all this food and energy during the 12hrs of lights and then have nothing to do when the light goes off except try and find more light, so then it will reach for the sky. 2-3 inches a day is a lot of height. how far away is your light? I keep my 400 hps around 18-20 inches away from the tops. I would imagine with the 150 hps you could get it closer to the plant being that it shouldn't be as hot?

I wouldn't think that the light would loose that much intensity after 3 weeks of use, but I could be wrong?

Im not an expert but I think I have the right idea? if anyone wants to give there input I would listen.....

8. when i ordered it, i did not upgrade to a more expensive bulb i just got the bulb it came with. could that be it? that its just a shitty cheap bulb? what brand of bulb do you use or is a bulb a bulb and no difference between them?

9. hey and i saw your link and checked it out. looks good. im growing bag seed. im cautious about ordering from seed banks for all the reasons. i see you are growing power plant. did you order the seeds from a bank and if so do you have a bank you can recommend that you have had success with?

10. what more then likely happened is you got a defective lamp, remember you get what you pay for... as far as the stretch goes, you can fully expect your plant to double or triple in size during the first 4 weeks of flowering. swap out the lamp, get some sort of ventilation in your closet/box and you will be fine.

11. 150 watt self ballasted HPS lights give off a decent amount of heat, but can be managed even in a small area. You will have plenty of light for 2 plants, just keep in mind that the hood is pretty small so you need to manage your canopy to adjust for it. For the price though, they do their job.

12. what more then likely happened is you got a defective lamp, remember you get what you pay for... as far as the stretch goes, you can fully expect your plant to double or triple in size during the first 4 weeks of flowering. swap out the lamp, get some sort of ventilation in your closet/box and you will be fine.

yea i just got an email from htg sayin its the lamp(bulb) and they are replacing it asap. thanks for the advise guys.

13. Thanks for the help samiel I was reaching for someone to chime in! Lol

Ya I ordered from kind seed bank in canada. I was not sure about ordering seed either. I allways did bag seed, and cloned from their. But this time I onley had room for 3 plants and didn't want to go through veg wondering if it was going to be male... the way I found the seed bank was I went to high times magazines web site and thought if they suggested a bank it was going to be a better bet then me just surfing the net...... I was nervous, but I just flowered 3 plants and they are all females soo im happy. I paid for it though, $200 for 10 seeds. I called the bank and told them I wanted feminized, I was looking for a sativa high on a plant that grows fast and yeilds the most! He said can't go wrong with power plant. %15 thc and yeilds are enormous!

Ill find out soon enough!! I will onley order seeds or clone from here on out! If you were close to me id sell you a seed! Lol

Don't worry about it the package came way unidentified, I even had it mailed to my work! Lol

I have seen a lot of people order from nirvana seed bank and had good luck!

14. if i were to order known genetics from an online seed bank attitude would be the place i would order from.

15. thanks man. i have a new problem may bee you can help. my lady is flowering but shes throwing out wired leaves. like 1 3 and 6 . just at the tops. and instead of a couple big tops, she has dozens of little flowers all over her. you ever hear or seen any thing like that cause i dont know what it means.

16. pictures help alot. once the plant has infact induced flowering it will begin going backwards with the number of leaflets until they get down to 1 leaf, these are known as sugar leaves. also during the first stages of flowering you will see several small flowers, it will be like this until about week 5-6 into flowering until you start seeing "buds" which is nothing more then several clusters of the smaller flowers... easiest way i can explain this to you is take a bud that is cured and dried. break it in half and you will see that in 1 bud you might have 4-5+ flowers in that single bud.

17. ^^^^^ X's 2......

We need pics.......

18. ok. ill get some pics asap ;)

19. I got a 150hps light from e-conolight and the instructions said the bulb needs 100 hours of light on to break-in...figured i'd share that with you if you're still having problems with the light intensity. I've had my light for about 3 days running 12/12 so i guess i have about 36hrs in and it does seem to be brighter now than when i first got it...

20. i have a 3x2x5 closet with louver door with the rigt fans i should be ok right