14mm vs. 18mm??? ++ Ashcatchar :O

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by jeremysfilms7, Apr 14, 2009.

1. #1 jeremysfilms7, Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2009
    Hey all:wave:
    I know its really based on preference;; but why would someone buy a 14mm piece over an 18mm?
    What are the benefits if any to having 14mm parts instead of 18?

==
    Anyway.. I was in Miami and I went to a headshop there and the prices were JACKED!.. the lady was selling Lux bongs shy of 2ft for $600!! That is outrageous they had double percs, but still it shouldn't have been over 300. So I bought stuff online.

Also I just gawt this on the internet:hello::
    -[​IMG]
    I will post pics of milkshots when I get it in the mail.

I am thinking of getting a diffused downstem for my bong but I don't know if it is really worth it.

But yo do you think it's worth it to get a snap bowl like this?:
    [​IMG]

2. snapper bowls rock for solo sessions and also if you need to conceal smell. I always have a party bowl and a solo snapper for whichever is my current daily driver.

3. #3 Sparky88, Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2009
    i've also been wondering the differences between 14 and 18 mm pieces. i would assume the 18 mm flows better? my 3 bongs are 14 mm, my broken stemless was 18 and the hits were a lot harsher, and my bubbler is 18 and the hits are pretty harsh too. not sure if thats because of the pieces or the joint size though

4. 18 is bigger so it allows for more flow, i don't really tell much of a difference except in the clear. it's basically a preference thing

5. i too want that ash catcher, maybe the blue one with diffuser. usually 18mm is on bigger bongs, with 14mm on smaller bongs.

6. My 2 foot, double perc used to have a downstem that down converted it to 14mm and i always thought it had just a bit too much drag from the percs. but i broke that downstem and got a regular 18 mm and i like it much better.

7. Just get an 18.8mm and an 18-14 adapter. 18-14 is much better than 14-18

8. i got that beaker ashcatcher you got up there. its nice. i use the diffy it came with in all my other tubes.

jonblaze

9. Some people like the pressure of a smaller pipe (i do) with smaller holes. Someone said snapper bowls, and i agree. I don't use bongs anymore (vape) but I still have my collection!

10. 14mm will need more cleaning... not to say you shouldn't keep both clean. But with my 14mm bowl/down stem after a good day of use the airflow starts to get restricted.. not a huge deal though. I did have a 14mm illadelph downstem recently which was fairly robust so it was only the bowl that was getting chocked at the end of the day.

11. 18mm = airflow --> nice for bongs and taking big rips

14mm = tastier --> better for bubblers & oil rigs since the smoke stays more concentrated. also 14mm is probably easier to snap bowls through if that's your thing

12. The only difference is airflow. 18mm clear faster because they have a little less drag. I wouldn't say that all 14mm downstem bongs draggy, I own 2 bongs with 18/14 reducer downstems and they hit fine.
    If you are going to get a snapper bowl, look for those straight ice pinch slides or a disk diffused slide. They will reduce drag when you milk up the tube and you'll get way better rips than with those single hole push slides.

13. yeah you see most rigs 14mm

and 18mm for bongs

I don't care which I use as long as im high as fuck.

14. I accidently bought an 18mm 6 prong tree perc for my 14mm joint bong today, i paid quite a bit for it and the head shop i go to doesnt do refunds. would it be smarter to buy a 14mm to 18mm downstem, or just hold on to it and buy the right size perc

15. I find that its all relative to the person smoking and the piece they are using. I like a little drag so I can control the milkiness of my hits and I tend to pull harder than most people so the smaller 14mm works for me, but my buddy likes no drag at all. He likes to sit there and ever so lightly suck on his bong like its a cock or some shit. Literally takes him a minute to milk the bong completely and then clear it. I will use an 18mm if I decide to smoke out of my bong with an ash catcher. Cause the extra traveling distance and added percolation of the ash catcher tends to add too much drag forcing me to work to clear the bong...I just try different combos of slides and slide sizes until I'm happy with my tokes...diffused slides with multiple air flow holes like you find on A. L. T. are best cause they kind of make it unnecessary to have to do all of the above except in some rare instances

16. I love your pic. Great album. Underrated.

17. It's just the thickness of the glass...

18. This thread is old as fuck boys. Let's leave it to rest.