14/10 light cycle?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by seannery, Sep 18, 2011.

1. I have read of growers starting the first 2 weeks of flowering in 12/12 and then kicking it over to 14/10 for the remainder of the flowering.

Any thoughts?

2. I have not read this. I have heard of going 12/12 to determine sex, then going back to veg cycle to grow the plants out some more or to make clones.

3. Just stick to 12/12. There's a reason almost every grower uses it.

4. [quote name='"seannery"']i have read of growers starting the first 2 weeks of flowering in 12/12 and then kicking it over to 14/10 for the remainder of the flowering.

Any thoughts?[/quote]

don't question tha system! Juss be cool man!

5. if we didnt question the system then wed still be growing outdoors. indoor grow is all about the grower being in complete control of the growth process, determining all variables. lets entertain the idea. what would the additional 2 hours of light daily do to the plant? i dont think it would be drastic enough to trigger the hormone change from flowering back to veg, so perhaps it would flower at a faster rate or more powerfully. an extra 16.7% of light per day should translate to an increased rate of growth, perhaps not near 16% but perhaps something noticeable. try it out and let us know!

6. now that i think about it though, the resting stage becomes crucial in flower, so perhaps 10 hours of rest wouldnt be enough...

7. Flowering outdoor starts at around 14 hours of light. Flowering is induced by a buildup of a hormone that is generated during dark time and is diminished by the light. Once the hormone level reaches a certain level, flowering begins. More hormone=more flowers. This is why light leaks are the enemy in the dark time, it diminishes the hormone. U can flower at 14 hours to try and pack in the extra energy, the same as u can try to flower at 10 hours of light to build up the hormone, people have success with either but 12/12 is the happy medium between both that most blades choose. Although the last 3 days of complete darkness before harvest will really swell the buds up.

8. for years I played around with light cycles in flowering started 12/12 but thought more light more bud so started changing the cycle 13 light 11 dark worked fine so went to14 light 10 dark worked fine untill i grew hash plant never stated flowering went back veg had to back 12/12 so i think it depends on the strain! try and see but you may lose weight!

9. I agree, and it is a point that people miss all the time about flowering. It is a hormonal reaction, and the hormone builds up during prolonged dark. However, I don't agree that "More hormone=more flowers", in fact the hormone is more of an on/off switch -- up until the point it reaches the tipping point, no flowering, but once there is enough of the hormone for flowering and it is maintained, then the plant will flower, fully. Adding extra dark for extra hormone won't increase buds, not any more than pushing an elevator button that has already been pressed will make the elevator come any faster.

Absolutely. Some plants will flower with only 10 hours dark, some will not. The reason that 12/12 is the agreed-upon approach is that, through experience, indoor growers have found this to be the optimal light cycle for 1) ensuring that flowering will occur and 2) providing as much light energy as possible. It isn't "the system", it is the wisdom of all those who have tried and failed and then succeeded before you. No need to reinvent the wheel.

10. sounds like a challenge! 3 plants.. one flowering with 12/12, one with 13/11 and one with 14/10.. lets see what happens!

11. I think I'll stick to 12/12. Maybe try that few days of darkness before harvest. Why would a couple days of darkness before harvest be good for the buds?

12. In nature when would they have days of darkness??never

13. Alaska??? lol

14. [quote name='"Jefftimmermann"']
    Alaska??? lol[/quote]

That's why autos are on the market, for the short northern season. And TOASTY! where u been man?!? It's been a while like a long while!

15. even auto are better with more light! MAN

16. Lol ya... They are bred for when there is 24 hours of light up north.... Cuz nothing will grow in the dark months