13 words for coco growing

Discussion in 'General' started by Spanish@rcher, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Greetings fellow citizens of grass city.

I’ve brought this up a few times now and it’s something I always get a lot of hate for so I’m doing the normal thing and making a son... I mean ehm, Thread about it.

through all my studies and nearly 5 years of growing I’ve realised that all you need to know for coco growing is the following 13 words.....

“feed quarter strength nutes to run off every day at the right ph”

As a question specifically for those who have grown in coco/peri would you or would you not agree that there really isn’t much else to it?

if they get big and look hungry you obviously go up a bit. Not rocket science :)

no techno jargon please, no science boffins,
    Just a simple yes or no with a brief description of why you agree or disagree.

I know most of the science to answer any reasonable questions but this is a simple question that I’d really just rather get a consensus on without all the hate from soil growers in order to prove a point about how easy what we do really is :)

2. I agree. The only wild card would be the quality of the coco and the nutrients used.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Holy fuck my next door neighbour getting Ickes!!!

4. Waaahahaahahahahh no wayyy!!! He blew his load as I clicked send!!
    Had the kitchen door open!!! Ahahah ahahah!! Awesome!! I’ll get back to the thread in a min :)

5. When I grow in coco I use ph adjusted full strength nutes every day to run off just like the directions said. I did experiment with Lucas for a while. It seemed to work okay.

• Like Like x 1
  6. My rule is small pots, fed 2-3 times a day in flower to run off, with half strength nutes.

A lot will depend on quality of coco and perlite mix, and pot size. I’ve used the cheapest and the some of the most expensive nutes and haven’t seen much of a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. I grow in coco in 16 ltr pots
    I use 1000w dimlux
    Canna nutes
    And i water the plants every second day because if i water them the next day they wake up , the pots and the coco is still wet

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. #9 old shol4evr, Mar 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    delete

9. I start at 1/2 the recommended dose of mega crop and adjust from there.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

10. your coco should never get dry at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I agree coco Is my favorite, I really like mother earth ccoc/perlite 70/30

• Like Like x 2
  12. That's my point though mate.
    You don't need to know anything about air flow in the media because you're feeding every day so you're replenishing the oxygen regularly and it won't be an issue.

The "feed exchange" you mention is actually called cation exchange. It refers to calcium and potassium.
    It's also something you don't need to know anything about. Those that pre buffer their coco with 800ppm calmag then feed 400ppm base level calmag thinking it makes them awesome growers are sadly mistaken.
    Plenty coco growers including myself don't use any calmag because it quite simply isn't needed. There's enough of it in your tap water.
    If you're using r/o water then of course you will need some but that's because your fucking about with purified water.
    Not because coco specifically requires it.

And yes I could tell you what dose to feed your plant based on which stage of growth. I also grow in reservoirs so I know better than most what the exact numbers are.
    Assuming you've got VPD dialed in and using the correct amount/type of lighting so the plants are growing full throttle then It's roughly 100ppm per week of veg starting the count from day 5 above ground.
    But again, it's not necessary. You don't have to be that accurate. The vast majority of nute companies recommend around 1600-2000ppm for full strength.
    Quartering that leaves you with around 400-500ppm.
    That strength will be able to get the vast majority of coco growers from seedling to chop no with zero complications.
    It won't burn them or leave them with deficits.

Of course if you're growing pounders then you'll need 2-3 times what I'm saying but I can count on my hands the amount of people on here that can actually grow 1lb plants in coco and they don't need advice from anyone.
    I can grow 1lb+ autos aswell so I'm well aware how to do that too and you still don't need to know much more than the 13 words.

People like to over complicate things to make themselves sound like boffins.
    And sometimes they have to do it to prove their point. The honest truth though is that it's a weed.
    Follow the 13 words and otherwise leave it the fuck alone and you'll do about as best as you can.

13. #14 old shol4evr, Mar 14, 2020
    delete

14. I guess I'm just old, but I find it extremely difficult making sense of responses with no punctuation or capitals.
    Apparently not many of you went to catholic school.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Have a history with soil, specifically with houseplants, that turned me off to both houseplants and soil, so when I recently discovered coco (and cannabis growing) I never looked back. Only on my first real grow and started with 1/4 strength nutes, but will never use anything but coco. Shit is so easy. :popcorn:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Coco is so easy to grow in that I didn't even bother to replace my ec and ph pens.

Coo is so easy to grow in it doesn't even need coco specific nutrients.

17. #18 old shol4evr, Mar 14, 2020
    delete

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. #19 old shol4evr, Mar 14, 2020
    delete

19. I bought brick coco, broke it up and used head formula with calmag. Recently cut back to 2/3 strength for smaller plants. Coco is the shit.

• Like Like x 1