120mm fan running slow?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by nonsensei, Sep 15, 2012.

1. #1 nonsensei, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2012
    So I have a 120mm pc fan with the following specs:

Voltage(V): 12
    Current(A): 0.32
    Power(W): 3.84
    103 CFM @ 2000RPM

hooked up to a AC/DC adapter with 12V, .500 A, and I'm getting very low RPMs from the fan. For some reason it's not getting enough juice, or maybe it's something else.

FWIW there are 3 transparent wires attached to the fan as opposed to the classic red/black/yellow. Two of the wires are connected to the converter (which I believe are red and black since it was the only combo that worked)

Any help is appreciated!

EDIT: tried with two different adapters. problem persists

2. Try a 16v adapter maybe. I did that once long ago and it increased the airflow and the motor didn't burn up before I upgraded.

The 3rd wire is for pc thermostat or sonething, you shouldn't worry about it. Also, is the fan hooked up to anything? Any filters or ducting create static pressure which will slow your fan down.

3. thanks for being the only one to reply, HOTH. I came to the conclusion that the fan was a defective unit since I bought another one (of a different brand) and it worked fine with my adapter.

4. Damn. I typed something up and guess I got distracted before I hit the reply button. Sorry man. Was going to tell you that it's either not getting the 12v (sounds like it is since two different bricks didn't work) or the bearings might be going bad. Spend $4-5 get another. Or $10. Depending on where you go.

Lot of good it does now though eh?

5. Yeah, I picked up an 80CFM at a local store, it seems to be working well.

The girls just arrived today, and here's how things are looking so far. Hopefully they will like their new home. Might start a grow log thread in the near future.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Nice. Looks like a good medium too.

Try to keep a personal journal atleast. It'll help you during the learning process but most importantly to remember what you did :)