12/12 & a logistical ?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Davy Jones, Apr 8, 2008.

1. I've just noticed some growers here starting & finishing with a 12/12 light schedule, how does that work? does it have to be an autoflower?

Other than saving a little on the power bill, what would be the advantage of a 12/12 over 18/6?

Now, the logistics of a move, Got some plants to relocate, all different stages & all sizes. So many question about this move I dont know where to begin. So I would like to just ask for any input or stories or advice anyone may have on the subject of relocating, it cant wait...its gotta be done over the next couple weeks.

Thanks gang...

2. Most MJ plants are photosensitive for their grow cycles (EXCEPT for the autoflowering strains). This means we, the growers, regulate what our plants are doing by how much light they get. Anything between 18-light/6-dark and 24-light wil promote vegetative growth (gettin' the plant bigger). Moving the time to an even 12-light/12-dark changes hormone production in the plant and it moves from veg. growth to flowering growth (all the little branches shooting from the main stem start producing flowers - female plants produce the buds). As for moving, how about in boxes at night? If you've got some six-footers, you may need to prioritise. Good luck, though.

E4A2S

(edit - That was for nothing wasn't it? I just noticed you said they start on a 12/12 as well? That must be for an autoflowering strain, but I thought most growers keep them on a bit more aggressive schedule. I suppose they could be going for some kind of SOG, but I would think most growers would need to have more light than 12/12 for rooting clones, growng seedlings, a little bit of vegging, etc. So, in summary, I don't know.)

3. Hey thanks bro,

Yeah, I didnt think about all this stuff when I first said "yes...I'll take'em. Reality is setting in, at first it was like winning the lotery, now its like "what the fuck have I got myself into" lol.
    We are going to rent a Van, I was think about doing it slowly, over time...but now I'm thinking hit it hard - "get in & get out" over & done.

4. I know of growers that go straight to 12/12 from seed... with normal strains. In fact I'm sure greenhouse did it one year to complete a plant in time for the cup (HTCC).

personally, I like to veg... but straight to flower works just fine by all accounts.

peace n pot

5. 12/12 straight from seed... hmmm. So you would see sex by 2 weeks or so? how do these suckers grow? any links to some pics? I'll take a look myself, ITMT. This wouldn't work with a clone, though, would it? Would a clone root with 12/12? I gotta see some pics. Later...

E4A2S

6. Hey. I did an experimental 12/12 grow that finished about a month or so ago.

http://forum.grasscity.com/general-...12-12-seed-experiment-grow-3.html#post2094621

theres the link. Grew to about 15-16 inches, yielded about a 1/2 oz. Did save some time, finished in 94 days, sexed in just over 30, all the details are in there....I would recommend it to people, and would definitely do it again.

Also, theres sergio's grow of some northern lights and a couple others: http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/188262-12-12-seed-northernlights-nirvana.html

7. yes the clone will root on 12/12... you can keep clones for months in semi-control of when they root. 12/12 they will take longer to root, but they will still root, eventually.

You can also flower rooted clones from 12/12, although i'd only rec you use prime tops... due to the fairly high rate of dwarfism from side branch clones.

peace n pot:smoking:

8. I don't know how many plants you have, but I'm planning a move here too pretty soon. Right now I'm thinking big boxes or garbage bags at night.. Late night, like 3am, when everyone is asleep. Of course that means being quiet to avoid attracting attention. Good luck man!

9. 12/12 for Veg garbage, a waste of time, money and it effects vigor and yield.

p.s. 18/6 sucks too, 24 hours a day is far a superior growing schedule in so many ways.

10. If you only Harvested a 1/2 OZ. why would you recommend this so called technique to others???? and who do you figure you saved time ??? If you would have ran a indoor standard of 24 hours a day you could have flowered in 2-3 weeks and yielded a OZ. at least.

I dont know why people always try to fix what isn't broken. the main advantage to indoor growing is light manipulation so if you have the ability to have a constant light source to encourage bigger healthier plants why would you want to use a inferior method :confused_2:

11. how do i figure it saves time?? this too 94 days, just over 13 weeks. As opposed to all my other plants about 6-8 weeks veg and 9-12 week flower. u also have to take into account this was not an optimal result. Plant had a few problems early and was under maybe 300 watts or so of flourescent lighting.

12. Thanks for the responce guys, I really appreciate it, I still got some thinking to do.

I was trying firgure out if I could put everything in one room...wrong answer, I 'm going to have to have another location for the mother if I'm going to clone, according to my stick man. Here's what "he" said, put the mother in a cabinet or closet & leave her lite 24-7, & the clones will grow in the room.

Here's another question; the grower has lost interest & cant continue...he uses MG soil, waters everyday & thats it, nothing more. His grow is impressive, I guess because they are so established, or just very hardy, I dont know, but I do know he doesnt do near what I read guys here doing, I asked him how often does he check the PH...he said what's that, an old time farmer set everything up for him some years ago, I guess he is just doing what he was told...nothing more nothing less. My buddy just kinda looks at me, shrugs his shoulders & says "its just a weed man", true enough but still. He uses a chemical nute for flowering, my deal is I want to go all organic, mainly fox farm soil & the big bloom & tiger bloom stuff I'm now using on mine.

Finally the question, should I leave well enough alone & just continue what he has been doing? would a total change of soil & nutrients be a shock or something on the plants?

13. First off, hashmouf - much respect to your grows and your style. I don't believe anyone will argue that harvesting a 1/2 ounce is better than harvesting a full ounce. But one thing that I've seen here is lot's of methods of doing stuff, and lot's of people reporting it back. The advantage here seems to be changing total grow time to 90 days, as opposed to 120-140 days, which - to a grower with no stash - can be very appealing. That, and something to talk about. It isn't a grow-off, to be sure. You'd KILL 'em, cat!

As far as Davy Jones' stick man doing well without pH info, or much else, he's right - "It's just a weed, man". This stuff grows well. I have taken a crop from seed to spliff with minimal feeding, and it was good weed. Nutes just let you ensure that the conditions are there for the best available crop. You don't need FoxFarm to get smokable crops. The amount of stuff we do for and to our plants, to the outsider (the unordained!), would look pretty heavy. They don't understand that we do it because we want to! If we didn't have nutes to mix, areas to prune, LST to finish, trichs to examine, meters to read, etc., we'd kill our plants cause we'd (weed:p) just sit there watering them, if only to have a reason to just look at them. Davy, if you want to change the regimen to organic, no problem. As a matter of fact, talk to hashmouf (or read his grows...) before you spend $100 at the hydro store... he might save you some coin. Try growing with stick man's method first, then try others and compare the results. Then tell yourself you need high end nutes... while your smokin' your recently completed stash.

Enjoy the life you've got instead of just wanting mine :wave:
    E4A2S

14. lol. Couldn't agree more. There's always some reason to visit your plants. Lately I've found myself just sitting staring into my closet trying to come up with new improvements for my room. :)