1000watt vs 600watt

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Mr.Pink7, Jun 1, 2009.

1. #1 Mr.Pink7, Jun 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2009

2. I would go with the 600 hps for a small op. You get the most bang for the buck electricity wise. Also just stick with the magnetic ballast. They are cheaper and last longer. Mine is 8+ years old atm and working fine.

I use my T5 rack to veg with. I take my plants to a foot and a half with the
    T5's.

Good luck and good growing. :D

3. #3 OCDinFL, Jun 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2009
    I'm sure you've read all the pros and cons of 600v1000. Only you, once you consider your needs and your grow environment, can make the decision. Consider this: most of the complaints you will hear from new growers about lighting is that they wish they had gone bigger. Rarely do you hear someone say they wish they had gone smaller. Now having said that, you should know that I grow using both 1000s and 600s. I have spent years getting my grow room environment dialed in so the determining factor for me when choosing a bulb is amount of medicine needed to be produced. If you are an occasional smoker who doesn't smoke more than a few grams a week, 600 is plenty for you.

*I just re-read the question, which can you yield more with - 1000 or 600 w/4x54w T5s....The answer is a definite 1000watter.

4. #4 Mr.Pink7, Jun 4, 2009

5. Yeah a 1000 watt should be run by itself on a socket as they are only usually rated to 15 amps and the 1000 watt draws around 9amps I believe.

6. I had the chance to upgrade my 600w to a 1000w awhile back...all I can say is I love it(plants do too). But like the others said a 1000w should be on own breaker. I had to run a dedicated line to my grow space to fire it up. As far as cooling, nothing beats air cooled hoods with inline fans.

Good luck,
    _Numb_

7. ya i normally run my 1000w on their own breaker with just one or 2 small fans too.
    last thing you need is to blow a breaker.

8. Wrong they do not last longer. The electronic are better period.

9. #9 Mr.Pink7, Jun 5, 2009

10. Adjoining room? Extension cord. Having said that, I hate cords running from room to room.

11. I work in a grow shop part time repairing and changing working voltages of ballasts.
    Speak of what you know please.

Not trying to be argumentative but magnetic ballasts LAST LONGER than digital.
    End of story.

As always peace to all. :)

12. Which do you find go out and after how long and do you have any 240V. ballasts in that shop?

I would think the 240volt "E" ballasts would last much longer.

13. On digital its the boards. On magnetic it is generally the capacitors. Makes no difference if it is wired for 240 or not. The higher the voltage the lower the amp consumption.

The digital ballasts that go through the shop where I work at "3" yrs average. The older magnetic ballasts 7-10. The newer ones that are made in china 5-6.

Even the distributors admit "in private" when no customers are around that the digital ballasts are not worth the extra money atm.

14. Sounds like heat may play a part in this and the 240s as you said use 1/2 the amps which makes less heat than the 120volt brothers.

Good thing Lumatek has a decent warrantee,if my "E" lasts 5 years i will be happy with what it gives me compared to the magnetic,over that is a plus.

I bet the "E" ballasts are much more sensitive to voltage fluctuations and thus may be affected by that,ATM i dont think they know but the majority of all ballasts last over 10 years anyways and some over 20(we wont know the longevity of the "E" ballasts as they are too new at this time.

15. #15 puff, Jun 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2009
    They both make the same heat more or less - it is just that the higher the voltage the less amps u use. The heat difference is negligible unless u turn down the performance of the digital ballasts which u can do but in return u get less lumens. Really its all math. The real equation is that circuit boards don't respond well to heat and that's all there is to it.

As always peace and happy growing. :D

If u get 5 yrs I will be right behind u :)

16. Hi,
    I just saw this thread and it is very relevant as I'm buying 4 setups all 1000 watts and have been torn between digi and magnetic...... guy at 1 store I'm dickering with swears they are constantly having to hassle on warranty on digitals. He says 9 to 1 when compared with magnetic..... What brands would you advise for magnetic ballasts? Sounds like you are convinced digi's aren't worth the extra $$ as well as he is...... Is that accurate? Thanks......

17. I've got one 1000 HPS and two 600 HPS all air-cooled. The 1000 wt. has an magnetic ballast, it's 4 yrs. old. The two 600's are brand new with Lumatek ballasts. I must say that the Lumatek ballasts Throw down HARD! I'd say with a side by side comparision, the 600 is almost as bright as my 1000 with the mag. ballast, prolly like 85%. The 1000 is just a hair brighter and covers a little more floor space. But with the Lumatek running at 5.7 amps and the 1000 running at between 9.5-15 amps, it's a no brainer. I'd go with a couple of 600's with Digital ballasts all the way. Just my .02