1000w hps. how much room

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Rabitslayer, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Hey guys new to the site. Question, I purchased a 1000w hps setup, how much space is needed for one of these huge guys? I am going to be growing in a 8by12ft room and don't want to bake my girls once I get started

2. 1/4 of the room is plenty.

3. Thank you for the quick response

4. An 8x8 area is going to get the most of the lights exposure, and any space outside of that will be receiving diminished light. To maximize the lights productivity, I would suggest a simple light mover, this will allow you to keep the light closer to your plants ( about 18", if you notice any burn move it up to 20") as well as get direct light intensity over each plant in the grow space.

Hope this helps,

K.A

5. #5 }-MaDCoW-{, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2013
    1000 watt = 4x4 ideally. You should have at least 50 watts per square foot, not 15 like the above posters example

6. This sounds more like it. The guy at my grow store said 4x6. So 4x4 with good ventilation would be awesome.

Keep in mind, all your extra open space is going to be eating light that could be being reflected back at your plants.

7. I'm the guy at your grow store :wave:

8. Thanks for all the responses. I am going to build. 4x4x6 box. Mevlar the crap out of the inside. As for space per plant, how many plants would fit comfortably? Any recommenations on a box set up? For airflow etc

9. This is exactly the size space I'm growing in, with the exception of my ceiling being 7ft. Consider giving yourself an extra foot at least for your lights to hang. I have 5 plants about 3ft tall and 2ft wide in my space. Its cramped, but doable.
    As for airflow. I have 2 6in exhaust fans hooked togeather with dryer duct and vented through my roof. Also,I have a stand up oscillating fan in the room to circulate the air at canopy level.

Hope this helps somewhat.