1000W DE HPS vs 630W CMH - New warehouse grow

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Kushmann07, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Hello GC fam,

I've been doing a lot of research and planning for a new warehouse I'm getting ready to start here in the next few months. After searching for what seems like forever I think I've got my eyes set on either a 1000W DE HPS fixture w/ bulb from Philips, in a Sun Systems reflector with a Solis Tek amp OR replace a few of those/supplement with a few 630CMH Ballast with one 315W CMH (3100k) and the other a 4200k (both Philips bulbs). The 1000W DE bulb, reflector, and amp I chose from reviewing comparison results between different brands, the ones I settled on had the best results from various light testing. The CMH I am really leaning heavily towards for everything except cost. I have seen many growers post and rave about how they can/have achieved top shelf buds using CMH bulbs. The spectra for the CMH is definitely way more appealing and I can see why more growers are leaning towards CMH in general. The only thing holding me back is the initial cost of a CMH. Although I do realize that there is cost savings in CMH I still haven't ran numbers to see if its economical.

Anyways, I am planning on running 20-24 1000W DE HPS in a 1200 sq. ft warehouse. As I figure out the cost effectiveness of replacing a few 1000W DE HPS in the grow with some supplemental 630W CMH (for added spectra) I'd like to hear from other growers out there on their opinions. What lights do you guys use and why? I've been seeing some people swear by LEDs but on a grow scale like this I think light penetration will be needed. I've never personally used LEDs but if someone has some firsthand experience I'd love to hear about it.

Also a little side note, I'm going to have a separate veg room and will be using a few 630W CMHs to light up my mothers and clones. But I'm also open minded to any comments or suggestions.

Thanks and Happy growing fam!