1000 watt hps air cooled hood?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by jadatoker, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Is a 1000 watt hps with a 6inch vortex fan cooling the hood to big for a 3 foot wide. Seven foot long & seven foot tall space ?

2. No. You have more square footage than I do and I run a 1000 no problem. That space is super long though to be running one light source. The edges will get very little light intensity. Better to run 2 lights if you can.

3. How are you keeping it cool I haven't set it up yetbut I'm wondering if the fan I have will keep it cool enough.so you think I need another light I'm not sure if that's possible to do with out blowing a fuse,I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to run my 1000 watt hps 6inch vortex fan & another fan to blow fresh air in the room?

4. #4 Lay Low, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2011
    I didn't know if you already had the light or were considering getting it. If you didn't already have it I was going to suggest running 2 - 600s instead of a single 1000. I have an inline fan (440 CFM) pulling air from a sealed hood. I don't know your setup, but most of the time you don't need an intake fan. The negative air pressure that results from the exhaust fan within the grow space will provide the intake air through whatever intake vents you have in there. You can use an intake fan if you want to. Won't hurt anything, but most of the time it's not needed. 6" Vortex fan is fine to cool a single 1000. Just keep your ducting runs as short as possible and avoid any bends as much as possible to keep from restricting air flow.

5. I already have the light I was going to go with two 600 hps but I bought my 1000 watt for
    A 150 $ still in the box with the bulb so I had to jump on that deal but I'm. Worried I will blow a fuse running my 1000 watt hps my 6inch fan & another fan just to play it safe & make sure I have enough air flow do you think I can run that without making my power go out ?

6. Oh yeah. No problem. As long as all that stuff is on it's own circuit with nothing else you will be fine. You should have at least a 15 amp circuit. You can load that with 1440 watts and be totally safe. It's good to have the fan and light on the same circuit anyways because you don't want the fan circuit tripping with the light still on. That way if it blows both the fan and the light shut off together. Check your outlets though and make sure the light and fans are the only thing on that circuit and nothing else in the house is connected to it.

7. Ok thanks for the help, I know this is way off subject but have u ever used liquad sea weed & if u have is it any good & I have been reading on my fox farm gro big bottle folier feeding what's the purpose of that & would it help if I started doing it

8. Never used liquid sea weed, and I would not ever foliar feed unless you run into some problem that needs to be addressed quickly. You want your plant to have really healthy roots and the nutrients to be assimilated through them. I sometimes foliar feed as a quick fix to some kind of deficiency, but never as a long term solution.

9. Oh ok I wasn't really sure I didn't really think I needed it cause they look pretty healthy but I'm going to have to look more into the liquad sea weed I first seen it used in t.h.c labs clone video they said they use it through out all life cycles including cloneing but I'm not really sure what's the perks of using or what's its purpose is,do you have any experiance with fox farm liquad nuts?

10. Yeah I've used Fox Farms stuff before. It's good stuff, but mainly for soil. I grow in coco now and have switched to Botanicare stuff.

11. Yea I use the fox farm ocean soil mix & am currently using fox farm grow big but I seen people saying they mix the grow big & big bloom but I'm not sure if that's just flowering or can be done during veg also I seen mixing the fox farm big bloom & some other liquad fert called tiger bloom I think do u know anything about that?

12. Grow Big is the veg base, Tiger Bloom is the flowering base, and Big Bloom is a bio catalyst type product that can be used in both veg and flower. You can combine Grow Big and Big Bloom or Tiger Bloom and Big Boom, but generally you don't use Tiger Bloom and Grow Big together. The FF feeding chart does specify to use Grow Big though during weeks 3 and 4 of flowering. Probably just to make sure you don't run into too much of a Nitrogen deficiency towards the end of flowering.

13. Ok so do u think I should start using the big bllom along with what I'm already grow big for my veg or should I just stick with the grow big alone for veg

14. You can if you want to. If you don't though just Grow Big is fine. If you want to introduce beneficial fungals or bacteria though Big Bloom will help them to thrive.

15. Ok ima go buy a bottle & try to mix a liittle in with my grow big

16. Get some beneficials also. It's like the only thing that soil has going for it is the ability for beneficials to thrive.

The 2 best all around products are Great White and Myco Madness imo. Get Big Bloom and either one of those products so that you can take advantage of what soil has to offer.

17. Ok ima see if I can find some,you said you grow hydro right? & if so what's the perks of that compared to soil?

18. I grow in a hydro medium, coco, but I treat it basically the same as soil. Hand water, 5 gallon pots, etc.

I posted in a different thread about the benefits of coco over soil also. Here is what I wrote there.

Coco's advantages over soil.

- Drains easier
    - No need to cut with perlite or anything else
    - Higher porosity for greater aeration which gives an ideal water/air ratio for growth
    - Doesn't compact (which allows roots more room to expand into)
    - Naturally PH neutral
    - Much easier to flush
    - Faster growth than soil
    - Ability to use any nutrients you want, nutes made for soil or hydro will work fine
    - Ability to water and feed more frequently

Like I said soil's only advantage (which is arguable anyways) is that it's the most suited medium for running organics. Some say running all organic tastes better, which is also arguable imo. Coco has the ability to be ran with all organics anyways so that advantage exists with both. Soil basically can sustain microbial life better, and that's about it. Coco is a fantastic medium to grow in. I will never use soil indoors again. Coco all the way for me. I might try an ebb and flow table soon, but I get such good results with coco I really don't feel the need to switch anytime soon.