100% neem oil and Thrips

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Tarantula_Addict, Nov 10, 2013.

1. I've got thrips on my two young plants. Thats whats been causing the edges to brown and the leaves to curl. Its funny because the leaves are getting pretty light green, I thought how could they be showing signs of wanting nutes AND showing nute burn.

Little. White. Worms.

Thats what I found in the drainage water. No dark heads, really small but visible to the naked eye. There was quite a bit of them.
    Theres also little white bits on the top of the leaves, I've read these are "trails".

---

How much 100% neem oil should I use? I have the actual oil itself, not some stuff I bought at lowes or some such for gardening, but raw oil. The oil has a dropper cap, wondering how many drops to put into my 1 cup spray bottle?

How much soap (can i use simple dish soap?) and lemon juice extract I should use, if any.

I've read plenty of threads that say to use a few mL per gallon, but that seems wrong as well as it not specifying what percentage the neem oil was.

I appreciate comments and concerns about using a different treating method, but lets not make this entire thread about how I shouldn't use neem oil because it didn't work for you. I just read dozens of threads about neem oil and thrips. It worked for some, didn't for others. What I noticed was the people that bought "gardening neem oil" or anything along those lines were the ones saying it didn't work. But I'm only conjecturing this.

Lastly, does h2o2 solutions have any effect whatsoever on these little bastards?

2. Neem oil with some soap is good. Make sure it dissolves well.
    To control an infestation,youll have to be delligent.
    The thing to rememberis that neems effects aretemporary. 2-4 days max.

So you need to spray, feed your plant neem once every 2-3 days for 1-2 weeks.
    Infestations need such frequent treatments since its important you get those newly born bugs, born between sprayings.

3. how much neem though?
    Its 100% and I wish to know how many drops I should add to 1 cup of water.

4. 1 teaspoon to a cup of warm water will do

5. Thrips are a bitch I feel your pain.

6. you can mix 8 ml neem oil, 1 litre of warm water and 5ml of liquid soap. you can add more or less soap.
    sparay to the plants and repeat application every 3 days for at least two weeks

7. #7 GoldGrower, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2013

I mix been oil around 6-8 drops per pint of warm water and one drop of washing up liquid. this takes care of most pests.

I will be doing the same this evening, I have thrips too