10 gallon reef tank

Discussion in 'General' started by Budder81, Apr 16, 2008.

1. I love looking at my tank stoned, thought I wanted to show other stoners if they like looking at tanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There is a bunch of soft corals in there, some mushrooms, a seafan. Mobile stuff there is Jawfish, cleaner shrimp, snail, some tiny stars that came with the rock, and tiny tiny shrimp living in the sand. You could look at any spot and notice life.

2. Thats beautiful man. I need to get one of those when I get my own place. Is it a bitch to maintain?

3. Not really, I actually enjoy messing with my tanks. Usually this means taking out about a gallon of water and replacing it with mixed salt water about once a week. Other than that, I feed them when I get home.

I do tests on the water once in a while, but weekly water changes keep things stable.

4. very cool. i showed the pics to my bf and he also likes it. he loves fish

5. nice pick up dude, how much that run you?

6. Sweet looking tank. We have a few tanks here at the house, but they're freshwater.

7. There's a coffeeshop in Amsterdam that has 3 of those. They're so amazing. You just get baaaaakkkeed, then go chill with the miniature-lifescape.

8. Nice tank, saltwater are def nice. I got back into fish again recently. Got myself a 10G with cichlids at the moment. Saving up some feria for a bigger tank, i use to have oscars and red devils back in the days. i think i over did it though lol them foo's were huge.

9. Sittin' back blazin' a blunt while watching a fish tank is extremely relaxing
    and visually pleasing. A kid in my apartment building has a nice salt water
    tank and I love looking at it when I'm blowed.

Reminds me of a scene off an old Cribs episode where Big Boi from Outkast
    was showing a tank he had in his garage. He said he loves turning the lights
    out and smoking watching the nurse shark devour some fish.

10. Thanks for the comments everyone.

A 10 gallon is too small for cichlids, except maybe some convicts or rams.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have 2 other tanks that are freshwater. I have 3 jack dempseys, 2 giant danios and a brichardi cichlid in a 60 gallon, in the same tank but blocked by a pane of glass, sits a 2 inch snapper turtle with some guppies he catches one at a time (but they breed so there is always guppies). In another 30 gallon, I have more guppies and 1 severum. Maybe I'll post pics if people want to see them.

11. crazy good progress man!

12. I got a tank in my grow room. I love to sit in there and watch them, with the ak47 plants in the background, its beautiful.

13. nice reef tank man! i had one years ago (55 gal) but a mantis shrimp fucked everything up lol.
    I'd love to do it again one day. It's so amazing all the stuff that grows from the live rock.

peace man,
    aw

14. I'd say go for another tank one day. The rewards are far higher than the labor and costs.

So far this 10 gallon costed this much (not all at once though, since jan 08.);
    Tank $10
    72 watt PC lights $50
    Biofilter/skimmer $35
    Live Sand and Rock $60
    Salt $30
    Gravity meter for salt $8
    Frogspawn corals (2) $15 for both (not store bought)
    Watermelon zooanthid coral $10
    Green zooanthid $15
    Mushrooms $25
    Cleaner shrimp $15
    Pearly Jawfish $25

I'd say I spent about 300-400 bucks on this tank since the beginning of this year, which isn't bad. I spend more on weed than this tank, and the tank isn't gone after you look at it.

Now, I only buy salt and distilled water, which costs me about 15-20 bucks a month. Food, 5 bucks a month. So now my tank costs me about 20-25 bucks a month to maintain, which is very low. I know of 200 gallon reef tanks that cost as much as a new sedan, and probally car payments to maintain monthly.

15. Freshwater planted tank. All plants are real except one really green plastic leaf bottom right.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. thats tight, give us some more info...id like to know more about it...how is a fish tank so 'fun'? seems dull to me, other than the vibrant colors....how is it worth it? is it all about the grown from start to finish? whats the bid deal? i mean i wouldnt mind trying one for the experience i suppose. but what happens if you dont pay close attention to it a lot and slack off a bit, is it gonna look like the pond in my back yard? im no marine bioligist its not like i know what things should or shouldnt be in the reef tank
    whats the deal is there like certain shit u have to buy, or what? certain fish? certain plants? im completly clueless to 'tanks'
    i do love snorkeling off mexico though, which makes me think i might like a tank, all lit up n shit with that blacklight glow to it in the dark...seems nice
    i jus feel like it would get boring after a week and ill be kickin myself in the face for buyin a fuckin fish tank
    plus its not like you can really 'connect' with the fish like a cat or dog
    i dont know, im at a crossroads...convince me!