1 gallon grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by vuongcuhz, Nov 7, 2014.

1. wsup guys, this is my first closet grow. I've been doin tons and tons of research every day because I'd like to make this my hobby someday. It's going to be a great learning experience and I'm always down for some knowledge. My plant is 1 week old,

My question is if i am doing a 1 gallon grow, when should i transplant it? How much nutrients would i feed it. I am usin fox farm/happy frog mix. I'm looking to order the fox farm nutes online when i get a chance and was wondering how much i should order. Would an 8 oz trio pack be enough for a 1 or 2 gallon grow complete grow?

2. Indoor closet CFL grow, in soil, if it's regular soil it might only need feeding once or twice.  Usually these small grows don't get enough lights to grow fast enough and big enough to need feeding any more, and a 1 gallon pot of soil will do most of the job.  It is really common for new growers to try to make their plants big by "feeding" them, but it doesn't work like that.  Plants need light to make energy, then they use that energy to turn nutrients into growth, so less light means less nutrients needed.  It wont need feeding until at least you see roots at the bottom of your main pot.

When you thin about your plant age, under CFLs it grows more slowly than under a 600w HPS setup, so when you read a guide that says "after 2 weeks feed it every other watering" or something like that, it doesn't apply to your little CFL grow because your veg growth is going to be something like half as fast as a HPS grow, so it uses less water, it uses less nutrients, it needs more time to get there.

Good luck!

3. what type of container are you going to transplant into after the 1 gallon?

3 gallon?

If you started in a 1 gallon and say vegged for 30 days I would transplant at week 3 of veg so it give a week to settle before 12/12.

4. Size of pot determines how much room it has for rooting. A full sized plant can manage with 5 gallons. I had to FIGHT my first plant, in a 2 gallon pot, grown with a 120 watt incandescent grow bulb in the ceiling fixture, and an LED spotlight 14" inches above it, to keep it under 24 inches, and even then, had to do a bunch of side trimming.

The flower was low quality and only gave me 3/4 oz...but that was the light. No other explanation.

I swear by Fox Farms nutrients, and they work fine in a soil grow, too.

In a single plant, keeping it small, a gallon pot's fine.
    Like I said, I had to actively fight to stay under 2 feet in a 2 gallon.
    Fox Farm liquids give plain English instructions. My experience, though, was water it every two days with nutes (I used 2 cups every 2 days, once it started really leafing up)., then 1 cup per 3 days, with flowering nutes, while flowering.

Since the small bottles are 1 quart of nutrient, and you use 1 milliliter of nutrient for every quart of water, you can figure out pretty easily how long that lasts. 2 feedings is 1 ml of nutes for vegging, at my pattern. 1 quart is .95 liters, one ml is .001 liter. Each quart of GrowBig by Fox Farms is, therefor, 1900 feedings with my pattern.

If you use a different pattern, 1 qt of GrowBig is enough for almost 240 gallons of water (237.5 exactly) at recommended dose.

You can dispense with the bloom booster...just buy 5-10 nightcrawlers per gallon of soil, down at the sporting goods store (bait section). You can buy it for the guano, of course, but you can get dry guano cheap enough, and mix it in your water directly, much cheaper. Hell, if you have the time, you can get PAID to clean out someone's pigeon coop or chicken run (or, many places, you can buy a couple chicks or ducks, and have a nice BBQ right after cropping). There's your guano.