~Step By Step~ How To Exhaust A Micro Cab

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Kole477, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Whats up GC :wave:

This is my first tutorial and I figured I'd post it to help a few people out who are in need of venting a small cabinet. Hopefully someone finds it useful!

So lets get started

Materials and Tools

1 inline fan (purchased mine at lowes for 26$)
    1 power strip
    3 wire caps
    1 razor or sharp tool
    electrical tape

Ok. Begin with your power strip

[​IMG]

Cut off the wire and strip it so you have the 3 individual wires exposed, throw away the actual power strip

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then, Get your inline fan (for this i used a 4'' inline fan) and your wire caps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Twist the wires together

Black with black, Green with Green, White with White

[​IMG]

Add your wire caps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And when you plug it in?

[​IMG]

Add a little electric tape to keep it together

[​IMG]

Placed in the growbox with carbon filter

[​IMG]

There you go!! I Run this in my cab with 6x 23w CFLs (pictured is only 4) and the temps stay around 83.

Here are some links that helped me set up my cab as well

http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/319780-my-25-00-light-fixture-mr-bubbles.html

props to mr bubbles

http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-roo...cheap-easy-efficient-diy-carbon-scrubber.html

props to nugglord

Alright guys, Enjoy and Happy Growing!!
    :hello:

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      66.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      66.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      62.9 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      66.9 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      74.6 KB
      Views:
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      68.7 KB
      Views:
    • 8.JPG
      8.JPG
      File size:
      61.8 KB
      Views:
    • 9.JPG
      9.JPG
      File size:
      60.6 KB
      Views:
    • 10.JPG
      10.JPG
      File size:
      70.1 KB
      Views:
    • 11.JPG
      11.JPG
      File size:
      67.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Bookmarked and +Rep for you

I need to grab one of those fans, computer fans barely cut it for me.

3. Nice tut, do you like that fan tho? I hear theyre crap?

4. This is my first time using it, not sure on the quality. It works better than a computer fan though which is what i was using before this

5. how much louder is that fan than a pc fan
    i have two going in my pc grow box and its still pushing 95 when i have the carbon filter on there
    my grow has to be stealth so do you think it could pass for a high performance pc fan as far as noise (the back is well hidden)

6. Nice tutorial. I've always wondered about those inline fans. Does it really have enough power to pull air thru the carbon filter? How thick of a layer of carbon do you use? I have tried a few DIY carbon filters, but none of them will work due to my pc fans not being strong enough (even though they are rated at 102 cfm) to pull air thru the filters. How about the noise level? Is it equivelent to a pc fan?

7. It is louder than a pc fan i have to say, but when its in my closet with the door closed i can't even hear it over my computer, esp if the central air is on or my tv or something. I havent added any carbon yet to the filter, but i was thinking using a small amount maybe an inch or two and replacing it often for more airflow. My grow has to be stealth but not That stealth so i can get away with a little smell.

It seems to work for Nugglord who i got the carbon filter idea from ( link is in my original post) and because this is a small scale grow i think it will work for me.

To adidam yeah i think it could pass for a high performance pc fan if the back is well hidden

I'm making a grow journal soon, I will post the link here and you can see how it works for me and my results.

I'll gladly help with any other questions as best i can.

Alright im out :smoking: peace

8. +rep. Im prolly going to use one of those fans and a juice can filter, or at least try it out!

9. nice work man!

i have a box that size with the same fan (6") and it kicks ass.. very quiet as well.

+rep man.

10. cool, thanks for the info
    and of course, awesome tut, +rep :cool:

11. you may want to look into ruck fans, they are designed for in-duct use. Think impellor design. I doubt this would take a decent filter.

12. yeah the cfm rating is kinda low, but maybe the 6'' would be better cause it can reach 250 cfm.

the 4'' that im using is only 80cfm but keep in mind its a pretty small cab

i will look into those fans though thanks for the suggestion

13. Hey Kole! I couldnt find the 4in so I got the 6in! And was very happy to see it was 250cfm... everything looks good so far

14. Nice man! Let us know how you like it and how quiet it is. What are the dimensions of your box?

15. yo kole....how loud is that fan??

16. Its pretty quiet when i have my closet doors closed, and i cant even hear it if my computer is on (my comp is kinda loud tho). If you have a ceiling fan or the tv on low it will be hard to hear it if it is in a closet or some other discreet location.

If you need 100% stealth it might be a little obvious, but if you place like an ionic breeze air freshener or something of the such near the grow box i bet people will just assume thats what the fan noise is.

17. can i case it in rubber to quiet it down? im getting one for my exhaust but mine is goin to run into this bucket idea i found on the forums. you use ONA a five gallon bucket soil moist and water. its pretty cool last for 3 months

18. Not sure about casing the inline fan in rubber, i have no experience with anything like that.

I've read on the five gallon bucket with ONA seems like it would work well. Let us know if you try to case the fan in rubber and how the ONA works at keeping the smell at bay.

19. bumping this.

you might want to go with the 6'' 250 cfm fan if your going to go cheap and buy one of these from lowes/home depot. this 4'' 80 cfm is barely cutting it for my 1'd x 2'L x 31''h box and i haven't added any carbon to the filter i built for it yet. i would think this fan would work good in a smaller box for clones.