My $25.00 Light Fixture - Mr. Bubbles

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Mr.Bubb-es, Jan 11, 2009.

1. #1 Mr.Bubb-es, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2009
    I see a ton of post about CFL lighting and fixtures and thought I would post a simple fixture I dreamt up you can make for less than $25.00. I used this about 2 years ago with amazing success.

You need;
    Bathroom light fixture
    2 ft piece of 6" duct
    2 eye hooks, 2 nuts
    Old cord

Here are some shots I hope to give some people ideas and inspiration to build your own. All the pieces bolt up like a sandwich with the wood giving the duct its shape.

room1aq3.jpg

When you are ready you can add Y splitters for another dollar or two.

onexv7.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Real clean man.

3. heh, mines simpler than that

I built a grow box, and drilled holes in opposite sides at variable heights, and run dowel rods through the holes. Buy some of those cheap clamp-on construction lights at home depot, and clamp to a rod :)

rods - 0.97 each
    clamplamps - 5 each
    y-splitters (2 bulbs per clamp) - 1.00 each

4. It looks real clean, but why bother with all the trouble? A $3 surge protector works just as well, except for the mylar.

5. i hate to add to the naysayers, but you can get a good MH or HPS for about the same money on craigslist:p

but if you wanna go with cfl's your setup is as good as any:D

6. #6 BUDACIOUS, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2009
    [quote name='Mr. Stinky']i hate to add to the naysayers, but you can get a good MH or HPS for about the same money on craigslist:p/quote]

Maybe not for $25 but damn, they sure are much cheaper on CL than anywhere else, what cost me $800 at the hydro store I found for $200 (plus extra's he thru in for free) on CL. But a CFL solution works better in some cases, mother plants, etc, or where heat makes HPS less of an option, like small grow boxes with limited air flow and judging from some of the cfl grow journals here they produce a good bang for the buck. Im working on a second grow box now that is tall and narrow and will be using 36" Flor. Tubes hung verticaly and something like this $25 fixture hanging from above. Of course I do I love the buds my 600w HPS produces...

If women were pot plants, most would die virgins, be burned to ash and forgotten by tomorrow... Worse, if men were pot plants most get yanked up by our roots at the first sign of puberty and tossed in the trash...

Do people think of this stuff when they aren't stoned??:smoking:

7. you might also try ebay. I got my 400 watt hps for $40.
    The results are far better buds then my previous cfl grows

8. lol, but at least we give them the best and happiest life we can while they are growing (most of us that is). and we took them from seed and gave them conditions for life. :D I put more dedication into my grow than I've ever put into school or anything else...haha.

9. How exactly is surge protector and mylar relevant again ?

10. #10 Mr.Bubb-es, Jan 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2009
    I find that hard to believe a decent bulb is about 40 dollars. Sounds like a homemade socket ballast combo and a fire hazard to me but I have been wrong before.

"you might also try ebay." Not sure what I need on Ebay I own 400 and 600 Lumatek digital ballasts and sockets :rolleyes:

This is nothing more than a thread to inspire the many peoples who opt to grow with CFLS.

11. dowel rods, at adjustable heights, also make great rods to hook a HPS/MH reflector too in addition to the CFL clamplights

12. Yeah this is not a bad way to go for $25. Only $25.. and if you can get your light fixture for atleast 1 plant that is pretty good.

everyone is so negative lately. haha.

13. You can get a multi-outlet surge protector and then buy these cheap little adapters that are a light socket on one side and a plug on the other. Plug those into the surge protector, screw the Y adapters in, and off you go.

Mr.Bubb|es, you may want to get those plants closer to those CFLs, because of their low lumen output their light intensity is very low after only a couple of inches of distance.

14. "Mr.Bubb|es, you may want to get those plants closer to those CFLs, because of their low lumen output their light intensity is very low after only a couple of inches of distance."

Thanks for the tip :cool: but unless you got one of these;

images.jpeg

AND 1.21 Jigawatts of power I am not sure how its going to help.

Here are some pictures of them finishing up VEG under the CFL's. This is day 38 from germination. Very bushy to say the least.

Skunk #11.jpg

Attached Files:

15. very nice lookin youngins there bubbles

16. hey can u give me instructions on making that?

17. I sure hope you're asking for directions on the flux capacitor rather than the light fixture...it's only a few parts you know.

18. Mr. Bubbles:

Pretty dude. I got the same idea a week or two ago and am in the construction phase... on a slightly larger scale. I'll hit you up with pics when I get it all together. Never mind all these people saying to use surge protectors and stuff to save money. Is it cheaper? Ya. Clean? No. I want my lights and area as clean and organized as possible. I don't want chords and plugs and stuff running everywhere.

And like someone else said, CFL's are great if HPS isn't an option. For me, it isn't because I have no way to get a lot of ventilation without drilling a lot of very noticeable holes my landlord might not like too much when I move out...

19. love it.

im planning for a small gro in confined space here soon , & while i was fascinated with the aspect of HPS ,i know its not an option.

ive since taking a liking to the idea of cfls , and u guys seem to have it down.

any advice on cfl selections?

20. The best would be Daylight 6500k bulbs for VEG.

For Flowering it should be 2500K or 3000K bulbs.

I'm doing a CFL grow myself.:smoking: