Sexing

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Yoda, Aug 25, 2009.

Post up some pictures, this has gone smooth as silk so far.  LOL.  I'd imagine by now there would be some preflowers a bit further up the stems if you check.  You found the tough ones, the later one's are a bit easier to identify.

I hope you update your journal here, that's a monster of a tent you got.  

I had a bit of a heating issue in their very early infancy that I think put them back a bit, they're sort of short and shrubby for their age but oh well. 
    theoneontherighthasadick.jpg
    I took like 60 shots and this was the best one to show up on the other two, but its green-beany just like the other one is, no hairs yet though.  nubby.jpg
    That one other one is still just swollen nodes, nothing yet. And that plant on the far right is a male, I just have to remove him. He's got acorns.  All the other males are currently doing the death march in my spare room, I'm toying with the idea of drying them so I can crush them up into nothing and just dump them in the forest. Circle of life.  graveyard.jpg
    yeah I sure love my tent, I was pretty spoiled on that one, I was originally just going to do a super cheap closet grow. The hubby became interested and........well I think so far its been a $2500.00 investment so far. 
    roomtogrow.jpg
    I will keep updating, if anything to put it out there into the world so they can avoid mistakes I've made lol 

3. Help !!!! I need to know if this is a male plant. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1411505234.404153.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. @[member="LakeCounty"]

That's a female, and looks like a nice one.

5. Looks like has some Durban in it

Sent from my LT30at using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. This cleared things up for me. I've always had strains that look like balls but spit out pistils. The parts always look really close. I almost cut down a huge chocolope this morning thinking it was a male because I saw ball shapes. Thank god I noticed a pistil finally showing itself up top. I guess I look for clusters of balls or a stick attached to one. Thx for the details

7. Pics!

Sent from my LT30at using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. Can you please help me figure out if this plant is a hermie? It clearly has female pistils on all of the preflowers, and it's not making noticeable pollen sacs anywhere. But there's just this one node where it has a weird-looking growth. I'm sure the answer will become self-evident within just a few days, but I'm curious to hear what your opinions are on this.

The strange growth is on the right side:
    IMG_0408.JPG

This is how the other nodes look.
    IMG_0409.JPG

9. @[member="PP117"]

I'm stumped, although I think you're on the right track.  Going to need to watch that one for sure.  From the looks of it, you're a couple weeks into flower, should be a lot more pistils than there are IMO.

I would guess that in the first pics those are 2 male bananas popping out of that female preflower, but that's pure speculation.  I've only seen this on plants a week or so from harvest.   If they turn yellow, you'll know to trash it.  Should post that in the Lounge and see what they think.

10. Thanks! If it still looks weird by tomorrow, then I'll try posting in the Lounge. Either way I'll post back here whenever I find out what's going on.

11. After examining the plant more closely just now, I discovered more pollen sacks on other nodes. This plant had been stressed since the beginning of its life. Out of the 9 plants I was growing, this one was the only one that was looking sick from the beginning. Maybe that's why it hermied?

I don't know what to do about it now. I only have 3 females, and if I get rid of this one it'll be down to 2 females. Since this is a small plant, would it work if I just kept a close eye on it, and pulled off any pollen sacs I find on it?

This is how she looked in the beginning (the leaves were looking sick):
    IMG_0228.JPG

And this is how she looks now:
    IMG_0413.JPG

12. I did some searching, and learned that most people say it's much safer to pull out the hermies. But some people say that they've been successful with pulling out the pollen sacs. Some say that the pollen sacs keep growing back, but others say that they only had to pull them off once.

This was an interesting thread about it:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/1169858-hermaphrodites.html

I just pulled off all the sacs. I think I'll try doing that for a while. If it gets overwhelming, or if I get the impression that it's getting too dangerous, then I'll just pull the plant and make it into edibles. But if I get lucky then the sacs won't even grow back.

13. it can be easy seen if man or female

14. My plant got these a day ago but only on the top 4 nodes will the rest catch up? Or is there a chance it could be a hermi and the bottom gets the pollen sacs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

15. #1235 Green Knight, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014
  16. mine all got pistols on top half of plant before the rest, shouldn't be a hermie unless you allrdy stressed the hell outta it

17. Around how long does it normally take to know plant sex in veg state Or does it only show sex state in flower?

18. #1238 Green Knight, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2014
    You can see sex in late veg, but it usually takes a loop. It's just called the pre-flowering stage, but that's really only necessary IMO if you got unknown or bag seed. Never the less, you'll see if it's a female or male with naked eye, and still have atleast a week or longer to pull the males in early flowering.
    If however you're limited to space like myself, it's ideal to set into flowering as many girls as will fit. I'm not keen on having different harvest times in one chamber. Anyway you'll see a female calyx in pre-flowering; Possibly with or without pistils yet, but if you google photos of their differences, you'll know what to look for when you whip out your loop. Good luck! and Peace! :D

Grow Progress:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1320174-first-organic-indoorgrow.html]http://forum.grassci...indoorgrow.html

... "You never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore".
    -Christopher Columbus

19. #1239 homer simpson, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014

Couldn't agree more, if you don't know what to look for at least look at actual plant pictures.  One dimensional graphics of a plant just doesn't cut it.  Never learn that way.

I think there may be a few more reasons to be familiar with preflowers during the veg stage.  Outdoor growers starting plants indoors benefit from this.  Being able to keep the light cycle for veg is a huge benefit.  Putting a plant under 12/12 for the sole purpose of revealing the sex is a huge time loss, I'd guess about a month.  Anyone with cramped conditions indoors absolutely needs every square inch of space, and a male in the flower room is just a bad idea.  Lastly indoor growers who flower them big like my friend Ironhead don't want to be messing around with light schedules, the goal is the get them big quickly.  Can you imagine the time it would have taken him to get this plant the size it is if he had to sex it, then re-veg it?

20. I would know. It sucks and stunts the plant for at least a month loss of growth and stresses it out. Did it with three plants. One hermied after revegging so it's not really worth it. Get a black bag cover the plant for ten days they make bags so air passes thru but light cannot. Invest into them.