The Ultimate Grow Journal - 4th Times A Charm

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by amateurexpert, May 9, 2015.

1. I assume you didn't read the update. 100% organic.

As far as over complicating, I don't think I am. This is my 4th grow and I'm experimenting, so I can dial in my future grows. I never did a soil test before, and it was only $3 at Walmart. This time I'm keeping track of everything so that I know what I did right and wrong. I have a personal grow journal that I'm using.

Airy soil is great for cannabis, but not 100% needed. My 1st organic grow had 0% vermiculite, perlite, or peat moss. Now about 1/4 of my soil consists of those three, but I plan to add more with the next grow.

I figure by grow 10 I'll know exactly how I want everything set up. For now, I'm just trying to learn new stuff. This is my first SCROG as well, so that's another tool I'll have in the belt after this.

2. Well said!!! Its a FUN hobby!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

3. OK, here's the Day 21 update.

1) My 2nd set of fan leaves have a little bit of nute burn at the tips. For my next grow, I'm going to add a little more peat moss, vermiculite, and perlite to cut down on the soil concentration. Yes, organic soil can burn your plants.

2) I topped my plants today, so here are the before and after pics.

Day 21 - Before Topping

[​IMG]

Day 21 - Before Topping

[​IMG]

Day 21 - After Topping

[​IMG]

4. What's the name of the $3 soil test at Walmart? Do you have a link? The only thing I can find at Walmart is a soil moisture meter.

5. Hey! I think you woman is doing great! A little tiny bit of N toxicity but its nothing it will just grow out of it. I just think 20 gallon is way to big for a seedling. How do you know when to water her? I m curious cuz I have a hard time lifting a 20qt. to check when I need to water mines.

Oopsie..your ♀ ..not you ♀

6. The pic of the test is on the first page of this thread. I physically went into Walmart. I have no idea what it costs online.

7. #27 amateurexpert, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
    Thanks. Yeah, just a little, but as you said it'll grow out of it. I'm using 14 gallons, not 20.

I have a moisture meter. The cheap green one that measures moisture, light, and PH. My soil holds water pretty good, and my soil mix holds water for a long time. Usually once per week is more than enough, and that's if I want to keep it extremely moist. One watering every 2 weeks is usually enough.

Also, the reason I'm going to big with the 14 gallon is because I'm trying to achieve the 1g per watt goal. I need enough to last until the next harvest. It's all for personal use so one good grow will last me a few months.

8. Got it! I'm excited to see how your woman turns out in her spacious 14gal!

9. Mid Week Update

Yesterday I noticed some drooping with my plants, which points to either under watering, over watering, or Nitrogen Toxicity.

After going over my notes from the last week, I ruled out over watering and went over everything a second time.

Based on the fact that the tips of my leaves had nute burn, I'm about 75% sure that it's Nitrogen Toxicity. So I went and bought 2 big bags of organic potting mix with NO ferts at all. I transplanted my plant and watered it with fresh water. I figured if I have Nitrogen Toxicity, the new inert environment would help correct it. If it was due to under watering, the new environment would also help.

I took before and after pics. Hopefully this clears up in the next 48 - 72 hours. Also seeing new growth at the nodes since I topped Sunday.

Day 24 - Before Transplant (Nitrogen Toxicity)

[​IMG]

Day 24 - After Transplant (Nitrogen Toxicity)

[​IMG]

I'll be back with another update Sunday to let you guys know how she's doing. Hopefully this transplant will fix any nute and/or water problems from here on out.

10. Poor Girl.. She looks a little sad 😢

11. Unfortunately she didn't make it. The combination of nute toxicity, outside heat, and topping was too much at once. I started a new grow at the following link. I'll be a lot more careful this time. Also altered my soil mix.

New Grow: http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/13...

12. Oh no...im so sorry to hear that.