Shane Botwins cfl 1st time grow

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by shane botwin2, Nov 6, 2014.

1. #41 shane botwin2, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2014
    Sounds good man. You got a journal? If so I'll have to come over and check yours out. I've read through other cfl journals but never got a chance to follow along so this'll be cool.
    Throw me a link if you have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. #43 shane botwin2, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2014
    Alright so another little update and pictures as promised. These were taken last night before lights out.

The older girl is 66 days today from being put in the shitty scotts potting soil. Glad she atleast has been blessed with some nice cycled organic soil since her tp at 5 weeks old. Anyways lol, I did a little bit more lsting on her, not a whole lot, just trying to keep the canopy as even as i can.

IMG_0975.JPG IMG_0976.JPG IMG_0980 (2).jpg IMG_0974.JPG

Being that this is my first grow, i dont exactly know what qualifies as a "fat" stalk but this seems pretty thick to me!
    IMG_0978.JPG IMG_0979.JPG

I attempted to take some close ups. The problem is i dont have a digital camera which is why my pictures arent the greatest quality. But i took my jewelers loupe and put it over my camera lens on my phone. I probably shouldve taken my phone case off but its a skinny case so its all good.
    My baby girl is finally showing some female preflowers i believe (unless at this point theyre no longer preflowers and theyre just the :confused: ........i dont know where im going with that :confused_2: ). There are soo many more white hairs today im fuckinng pumped. If i wasnt so lazy with posting pictures on here i would take more tonight and post them but it's just such a pain in the ass.

IMG_0959.JPG IMG_0963.JPG IMG_0964.JPG IMG_0967.JPG IMG_0968.JPG IMG_0973.JPG

My 3 younger bag seeds are looking nice and greeen. They are all 46 days from being put in the soil today.

The one that got damaged from the light incident is growing slowly but i saw some new growth today. Im not quite sure if i topped it correctly, am i supposed to top it right at the next node down? Because i made my cut a couple inches up from the next node down from all the burnt shit. Ill have to take a close up of what it looks like so you guys can see what im talking about.

#2:
    This one isnt looking as healthy and green as the other 3. Not too mention it's a little runt. The only reason im gonna keep it is for experience. If it's a male ill toss it right quick. If it turns out to be a female the only way ill keep it is if the other 2 small ones turn out to be male.
    IMG_0995.JPG IMG_0998.JPG IMG_0999.JPG IMG_1001.JPG

#3:
    This little beauty is getting me excited..im pretty sure i saw a couple little white hairs on it. Im gonna have to go take another look with my jewelers loupe and see.
    IMG_0985 (3).jpg IMG_0987 (2).jpg IMG_0981.JPG IMG_0983.JPG

#4:
    This is the little trooper that had the light fall on it. Ill take a close up of where i topped it and post it tomorrow.
    IMG_0990.JPG IMG_0991.JPG IMG_0992.JPG IMG_0993.JPG

A couple group shots of them in their little cozy ass tent. I hung a fan up in the corner today so there's some air circulation in there. Because when i open the tent after i get home from work everyday, i can just feel the stale air coming out. It's hot and feels just humid and stuffy when i open it so i can't imagine how the plants feel. I think they'll appreciate what i did. :ey: :smoke:
    IMG_1005.JPG IMG_1004.JPG IMG_1003.JPG

For some reason the angle that ive been taking my pictures at with them sitting in front of the tent makes them look like an ugly green as if theyre unhealthy unless i take the picture from directly above the plant. Im gonna have to find a better angle to take individual pictures of the plants at.

Also..I raised the lights to take these pictures btw. I mean i normally raise them when im taking pictures, but sometimes i leave them down so you all can see what it looks like normally being that im growing with cfl's. And we all know that when growing with cfl's the whole point is placing the lights around your plant (or plants) to distribute light everywhere since they dont have close to the light penetration that an hps or mh does.

3. Looks like there's getting to be more estrogen in this tent of mine!!! 2 of the 3 smaller plants look like theyre showing some little white pistils. The little runt (#2) must have just popped em out today and the curvy crazy one (#3) started showing a couple days ago.
    I'm still trying to decide if im going to end up keeping 2 of the smaller ones or just 1.

I really want to get a perpetual started but my mind is literally going all different directions and i can't figure out how i would do it.

4. Howdy yo...Im Smokey, and a total ass. Loving the garden, shits coming along nicely. Cant tell its your first either ;) .

Funny you should mention a perpetual. A couple of us have been typing about it. Just a schedule is all :)

5. That's^^ what I'm saying. Man, you did a great job LST'ing those plants. That is gonna be a nice canopy when it starts filling in. That stem you took a picture of looks ridiculous! Lol. Anyway, LST'ing is difficult imo and you've done a great job. Much better than me lol

Speaking of perpetual, I just picked up a planner and a big desk calendar :ey: :D

6. Whats up smokeyy? Hah yeah ive been pokin around here and there in t's neck of the woods and that whole gallon thing was some funny shit. Good to see you here man and thanks for the compliment my dude! :smoking: :metal:
    Same with you tj, that is a weight lifted off my shoulders because i was having trouble with the idea of lsting at first. Things seem to be falling into place a bit and making more sense to me now.
    I always over complicate things in my head before i even begin to start learning about them. <_<

Now understanding the whole microbes and michorrizae and all that business, thats some tough shit. But it's interesting and a whole lot simpler as far as treating it like a recipe compared to my first time looking on the back of a GO box at a nute sched in a hydro shop (never decided to go with nutes since by the time i started this first grow i was already balls deep in a sea of organic literature and grow journals).

7. This is a little look into kind of what my mind was trying to figure out as far as how many weeks can they be spread apart so that i dont end up with more than 2 plants in the flowering tent at a time and also where i dont have to wait more than a few weeks every harvest.

Attached Files:

8. Okay imma act like ive never scribbled my thoughts.... What the fuck? Lmao I do love the Bully post_it though.

I get what yiur doing, but I think if you think about it like this, it may be easier. Maybe!

Do everything in either 2 week increments, or 3 weeks. Since you dont want to wait to long to harvest. Me myself...im trying to start a every 2 week, or month harvest. I am however trying to accomplish 2 lbs a month :) .

So your doibg 2 plants a harvest right...right. Take 4 clones every 2 weeks, after they root, you go. Clone, xplant, xplant, flip. Once the room fills, it'll be. Clone, xplant, xplant, flip , harvest. I told you MAYBE lol.

Soooo take clones, xplant clones from 2 weeks ago into veggin pots, xplant veggers to Bloom/flip, and harvest 2 plants.

In reverse...
    Harvest 2 plants, xplant oldest veggers into those harvested pots, xplant rooted clones into those veggers pots, and take some clones. BOOM! Shit its easy whwn i explain it to you, but I cant follow that shit for nothing :laughing:

That would be done on your preferred schedule.

9. #50 shane botwin2, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2014
    Soo im gnna have to take a couple pictures of the (and i can say with confidence) girls. They are definitely females and im excited and need to showw you guys! :yay:

Oh yeahh..and the one that i topped because the light fell on it - turned out to be a male so he got straight kicked out that bitch and hes chillin in my kitchen right now as a decoration.

I think i got it thanks for the explanation mang. I dont know why it just seemed more confusing to me.
    I was over checking out your ish...you just start some clones or something?

11. A few semi closeups..The girls are now 11 days into 12/12.

I only took pics of the runts pistils and the older girl's because the currvy ones were hard to see and i was interrupted by my food getting here.

older girl (#1)
    IMG_1022.JPG IMG_1024.JPG IMG_1026.JPG IMG_1025.JPG IMG_1027.JPG

the runt (#2)
    IMG_1028.JPG

12. Decided to go back up to look at the ladies and hang with em some more. Figured while i was posting some lady parts of the girls i might as well show em all off. So heres some more shots of #2 and got one shot of #3's pistils and it's shitty but whatevskins im using it! These babies are both 49 days old today and 11 days since 12/12 flip.

Runt (#2)
    IMG_1031.JPG IMG_1032.JPG IMG_1034.JPG IMG_1035.JPG

Curvy one (#3)
    This one took off right from the get go dude. I mean i germed these bag seeds for close to 48 hours. I germinated 8 seeds and they all popped. I ended up planting 7 out of 8 seeds and all 7 broke ground (idk why i chose to toss one but i was getting overwhelmed quick thinking about having 8 plants so i did). But then a couple just werent doing good and one died so i tossed those seedlings about a week or 2 after breaking ground. Right before i started this journal i had my first male which i took out immediately (Im wondering why it showed its sex soo much earlier than the rest of them).
    ......So anyways....this one (#3) was like an inch and a half long and i could already see the cotelydon leaves starting to develop while still germing in the wet paper towels!! The shit was crazy, the seed shell part was already almost 75% of the way off. Then she broke ground within 24 hrs and just straight came screamin out of the soil. The thing was like 3 inches tall in a couple days and was falling over, way taller than the rest. I decided to just leave it knowing i was going to lst eventually anyways. So it started growing all curvy and crazy like. I havent lst'd this one much at all like i planned besides tying a couple fan leaves down.
    (the pistils are hard to see but theyre in the top center node toward the top of the picture and in the center)
    IMG_1036.JPG

Then i just snapped a few shots of the girls to show what theyre lookin like (not too much different overall so far)
    IMG_1037.JPG IMG_1041.JPG IMG_1042.JPG

And the older girl (#1) at 69 ( :ey: ) days today and 11 days since flip to 12/12 lookin sexier by the day
    IMG_1038.JPG IMG_1040.JPG IMG_1039.JPG

13. The ladies are nice, and vibrant. Good lookers right there.
    Ughm yeah, i have to admit it though.

I did....in all honesty. I went to Harborside, and bought a few. I have the itch so bad, its crazy. I just can't wait for some plants to flip.

14. #55 shane botwin2, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2014
    Daaamn homie yous a fieend! Juuust playin. I am mad jealous of that right there. Wish i could "just go to harborside and grab a few" hahaa shitt. That would be so dope. Thanks for the compliment btw, im pretty proud of myself so far. Even though i havent had to do much, this soil is the straight up shit.

Maybe one day in this backwards ass world i will have some dispensaries or even retail stores in my town. Or im about to move to colorado and live with my cousin til i get a jerb of some sort and get a place. Nahh i couldnt do that, or could i? :ph34r:

15. Oh hells yeah...I'm totally addicted to growing. I figured that out when I shut down my grow to rebuild. You should have seen me in the store twitching and shit lol.

16. #57 shane botwin2, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2014
    Hah im definitely obsessed to say the least. But that's legit af.
    I have a questiono btw.. Is it alright to trim off the big fan leaves coming off the main stalk or nah?

Well I just read some stuff with a quick google search and found out the answer is no. I think.

17. Why are you trimming them off?

18. #59 shane botwin2, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2014
    I haven't trimmed anything. I was going to but I read that I shouldn't. I figured I probably shouldn't.

But i was gonna trim them because I never lst'd my curvy girl (#3) and some of the big fan leaves are blocking the bud sites. So I just tucked em as much as I could instead and brought the lower branches outwards a bit by pulling em downwards slightly.

19. Thats what i would have done. I only cut if i have no choice.
    Oh and if they're old...