Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

coin in grinder?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by patmcd10, Jul 27, 2012.

1. i just bought a new 4 piece grinder. my friend told me that if i put a coin in the middle chamber, it helps the keif collect or something like that. Does anybody know what he's talking about?

2. you can put a coin in the part with the screen to help knock off trichs when you shake it..probably should wash the coin first

3. Im considering doing that, but won't that then affect the potency of ur actual herb? That would make the most sense...lol Law of Trichome Conservation

4. Yes I do this. Putting a small coin in your grinder (dime or penny, and make sure you sterilize it first) will shake the pollen screen in your grinding, making any keif (thc resin gland heads) collect in your pollen tray. In other words, coin in grinder = free extra keif.

5. Yea it just knocks off the trichs you would be smoking so pretty pointless unless you're saving kief for edibles or something

6. just keep a stem in there man. The grinder and coin are likely made of different metals, which means when they hit eachother one is going to inevitably break particles off, and then you get to smoke metal lol

7. Not free....its the kief ud have on ur bud.....trichs when smoking are less useful because the application of heat from combustion nullifies their effect to a degree, but i vaporize, so i value my trichs

8. the trichs are where like 90% of the cannabinoids are stored lol..... they are useful when smoking

9. I put a few ball bearings into my grinder and it agitates the trichomes from the bud and into my kief catcher more effectively than typical coins. Less surface area than a coin, more movement. :D

10. [quote name='"zinku418"']Yes I do this. Putting a small coin in your grinder (dime or penny, and make sure you sterilize it first) will shake the pollen screen in your grinding, making any keif (thc resin gland heads) collect in your pollen tray. In other words, coin in grinder = free extra keif.[/quote]

It's just taking more thc from the weed dude it doesn't make more thc suddenly appear because you put a coin in there. And it makes the kief have more plant material so your just getting more less pure kief and less potent weed.

11. [quote name='"zinku418"']Yes I do this. Putting a small coin in your grinder (dime or penny, and make sure you sterilize it first) will shake the pollen screen in your grinding, making any keif (thc resin gland heads) collect in your pollen tray. In other words, coin in grinder = free extra keif.[/quote]

It isnt free your just taking it off the weed you already wouldve smoked

12. #1: Grinders SUCK for collecting kief.

#2: Yes a coin will help collect more trichomes at the bottom.

#3: Nothing helps like grinding your bud and freezing it for 30 minutes if you are going to be serious about collecting the trichomes. IE: I don't use JUST a coin / I don't use JUST the freezer. They work best together. Like peanut butter & jelly.

The freezer will make the trichs erect and brittle. So when you use your coin, it helps knock them off. Imagine trying to chip ice off of a block using a a rubber mallet VS a sledge hammer.

#4: Your plant material passing is dependent on your MESH SIZE - not whether there's a coin or not. That being said, grinder screens suck. That part is true.

#5: Despite what others will tell you, your bud will still be about 85% as potent if you strip off every single trichome and keep your kief separate. Trust me, I do this every 2 weeks with a half ounce. I average 1.5 - 2.5 grams kief/hash every half ounce. There are plenty of cannabinoids in the actual plant matter and you will get high.

Factor in how many trichomes are wasted from every bud just from hitting it with a flame. So there's no shame in separating them like they weren't even there in the first place so nothing gets wasted.

#6: I like to vape pure kief bowls from my Silver Surfer or top a .2 of bud bowl. It's not just for edibles - its for smoking kief/hash whenever you want. I for one appreciate the spicier flavor.

#7: Buy a kief box down the road. I got mine for $60 and took out my screen from the grinder all together. I use this instead.

I want to note how much kief I get [14 grams = 2.5 grams kief] from my 100 micron kief box

VS [42 grams (1.5 ounces) through my grinder. You can see how the grinder kief looks like its got plant matter and a bit rough looking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VS:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2.2 because I smoked a .3 of kief from my bong before I made the hash. If anyone wants to know why it doesn't say 2.5 lol

• Like Like x 1