Brown Roots, White slime and Bubble film + A dumb Roommate

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by tennvol, Nov 25, 2010.

1. #1 tennvol, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2010
    i just notice white slime in my bubble buckets this week, ive drained and cleaned the system with h2o2 and been adding it to my rez but after three to four days i notice it again... the whole problem started when i had my roommate tend to my babies because i was out of town and i found out that he added mollasses to my fert program and my water level was higher then normal, the rockwool was soaked more than usual... he told me that the ph has been rising everyday but i didnt have that problem when i left. my fert program is technaflora recipe for succes and superthrive...well to make a long story short, its affecting my roots because they break easy and im pulling brown to white slime off them, not as much as ive seen in other threads but enough to make me concern but i think i caught it early and my babies are still growing... but today i order physan20 and hygrozyme...im hoping i can get a good cleaning from the physan 20 and then add the hygrozyme to my fert. program... does this sound like a good plan as this is my 1st DWC but ive grown organic soil for 3 years now with no problems...give me all your insight GCers :confused:
    stats : closet 2.5x4.75x8, (4)5 gal BB's Rumple's, 3inch net pots with 3in rockwool cut to fit the cup, ph 5-6, ppm 650-700 (.5 conversion) tap water sits for days b4 adding to rez with a ppm of 250-350(old house), water temp in buckets is 60-72 degress on the hottest days and room temps are high at 77degrees, 250HPS + 80W fl deluxe daylight blue for vegging 12inches from tops to start moving to 6in, 200cfm exhaust fan, fans speed controller + 2 intake holes(negative pressure as my house temp is in the 60's, 6in circulating fan, clones from mothers strains creme caramel, Great WHite Shark, White Ice and Bubblegum

2. Hygrozyme rocks! I had something similar happen to my setup about a week ago. I tore it all apart and soaked everything in a gallon of filtered water with 15ml H202 29%. Then threw it all back together and added Hydrozyme. Problem solved! Good luck!

3. yeah that sounds good mr.greeny...what you think about vegging with h202 cuz i been adding h2o2 to the res until the hygrozyme comes in just to help keep the problem at bay...im glad to know that i have paid attention...what you think abot cleaning with the physan20:confused: ive heard mixed messages with this stuff but i wanted to be sure cuz i dont want to lose my 1st hydro crop.

4. I use 29% H2O2 in my res through the whole thing. I add 3 ml of it per gallon every 4 days! You should add more to your res every 3-4 days, but no more then 3 ml per gallon. Also, you can use it with Hygrozyme! I spoke to Boris Delmar (Hygrozyme's expert and president of global distribution), and he said it was designed to be used with H2O2. I am not familiar with physan20, but I can tell you that Hygrozyme is a hydroponics system cleaner and maintainer. I love this shit!

5. thanks mr.greeny, ive have heard good things about the hygrozyme...i just wanted to nip this problem in the bud b4 i use the hygrozyme...
    the physan 20 states:
    PHYSAN 20â„¢ is a broad range disinfectant, fungicide, virucide, and algaecide which effectively controls a wide variety of pathogens on hard surfaces and plants. Its applications include greenhouses; hard surfaces; lawn and turfgrass; seedlings and cut flowers; decorative fountains, pools and birdbaths; and plants.
    PHYSAN 20 is an EPA approved concentrate formulated with unique germicidal agents to provide overall protection for your plants and greenhouses.
    PHYSAN 20 poses no human or environmental risk when it is used at recommended use levels and according to label instructions.
    PHYSAN 20 controls disease-spreading organisms which can be carried from plant to plant by using contaminated pots, flats, seed beds, soil, tools and human hands.

so im hoping this solves the problem and the hygrozyme keeps everything in check cuz my roots mass is still growing new roots after 2 1/2 weeks of growing or dropping and new roots are still growing through the cup...its reassuring that im on the right track.

6. Let me know how everything turn out for you. Good luck!

7. Are you positive that no light is getting into the bucket at all?

Are you taking your water temps at the beginning of the light cycle? The end? Or are they continuous?

Hygrozyme is a good product. But typically when someone has problems like these, their conditions are not as good as the grower thinks they are. Hygrozyme is designed to treat a problem that does not exist in optimal environments.

8. yes southrn smoke, im positive no light is gettingin the bucket besides when im checking water temps, ph,and ppms...i sealed the buckets double time with foil tape from top to bottom....thats why i was trippin :eek: my temps b4 the light comes on is 60-62 degrees and at the end its barely 70-72 degrees and the acutal room temp only gets up to 77 and it starts at 70 degrees b4 the light comes on.
    i mean the actual roots are still exploding with new growth besides the white slime and foam, oh and a couple roots are brown but i though it was from the mollasses my roommate put in there :confused: which i didnt subscribe to him doing. i thought i clean the buckets pretty good b/c the first 4 days everything was good but its back to what it was doing b4....so since i believe everything else is in order, will the physan 20 give me the cleaning i need and will the hygrozyme keep my buckets in check?
    thanks SS

• Like Like x 1
  9. I have never worked with technaflora, but i know some people have problems with slime building up from some nutrients, maybe this is something technaflora does?

If you use molasses and superthrive, these products can stain roots brown sometimes. I'm not sure if your running a living field of Beneficial Bacteria, but unless you are your roomate is indeed a dumbass for using molasses!! lol

Molasses is useless in hydro unless your using bio buckets. It feeds the beneficials that break down nutrients. Most hydroponic nutrients ( unless specifically designed to work with a bacteria field) are chelated, and the molasses is only going to serve to gum things up in there.

If your roots are growing well, id say give it a good cleaning a few times over the next couple weeks and see if the prolem persists. Like i said some nutrients seperate into a "slime" that will coat your roots, you might not actually have a problem here :)

10. Dont use the molasses, I had same prob and it:( killed it.

11. :wave:hi shooter350, yeah man i didnt but i was out of town for 9 days and i left instructions for my roommate...well he think he knows best when it comes to growin but never read a damn book in his life:confused: ...thats why i left one page of instructions to read but he added the molasses to my fert program while i was gone and when i came back i have this problem:mad: ... i just trying to eliminate this one and never leave my babies to a noob again...as i use King Rumple BB's and it was working great for my babies. have you ever use the physan 20 bro?

12. #12 tennvol, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2010

No beneficial bateria southrn smoke and yes, he is a dumbazz:D but thanks for the advise man...i check everything this morning and its holding still...even more new roots are growing but there not long, its a group of bunches, fresh and white:) hopefully all is well but i will definitely give it a few more cleanings like you said and keep an eye on things. +rep man for all the conforting advise;)

13. So i cleaned my system for the second time today after noticing the bubble film starting again...it took 4-5 day for my ph to rise, while my ppms dropped off by 50 or so and the water temps been 70 and under all week...but i notice a mistake i made last time and that i didntclean my tops:( so i removed the plants and cleaned the tops and buckets with h2o2 and 10% bleach , thoroughly rinsed everything and re-assemble the buckets...ppm's at 500-600(.5 conversion) so my ec is between 1.2-1.4 even though the plants responded well to a ppm of 700 ec 1.4...now i play the waiting game, even though i notice more white roots growing out of the cup- i still am reluctant to let my roots sit in water because of this problem...so i lowered the water level to like 1 1/2 inch below the roots...their still getting wet from the bubble action but not soaked like b4....im still wondering if i can run my system with the physan 20 in my rez while my babies are veggin:confused: the directions seems to indicate that i can...any ideas how i should proceed with this?

14. i just read a thread on here that said that molasses can be used to replace nutrients lost during flowering giving you slightly bigger, heavier buds.

15. maybe in soil purple kush or if its organic, even maybe hydro orgainc nutes but in synthetic nutes in hydro...unless your running beneficials in your system...i think molasses become a problem because it breeds a strain of fungus or something that will encourage problem like rootrot at least thats what i had from my roomate using it in my hydro system ... where did you find it...do you have that link?

16. here is some info i found on rootrot,
    I do not have much experience in fixing root rot, but I would try a vitamin hormone like super thrive before trying hydrogen peroxide or cutting.
    I am copying and pasting this from another site -

"
    Root Rot
    What causes root rot? Low Oxygen levels. (DO) Desolved Oxigen. Temp's are the main reason for root rot, Low temps will lower the DO levels and high temps will cause low DO levels. Keeping temps between 65 to 72 will allow MAX DO levels or max o2 for roots. (Thank you so much for the information syko2! has provided above!)
    Over watering also causes root rot, Root Rot infects parts of the roots, which then spread infecting the whole roots causing death, Root Rot can be caused by to high of temps in hydro as well as over watering. Not enough drainage in your soil can cause Root Rot, even signs of it looking over watered, because the soil holds moisture to long for the roots to dry out. So these 3 things are all connected together. The main one that causes everything is over watering. Once you find out you have root rot, depending on how bad the problem is, you can add H202( Hydrogen Peroxide) with your water or hydro setup to kill the bacteria caused from root rot. If the plant is severely taken over by it, there are only a few things you can do, cut off the roots affected by it depending on if its hair roots or tap roots, use H202 mixed with water in a different bucket and use it for a dip to help kill off bacteria before putting it back in the system, also note the system needs to be cleaned out if you have root rot.... using products like sm90 will kill off the root rot, using h202 in your system does more harm than good, it kills off the bad bacteria and good thus creating a worse off problem after the h202 has been overran, h202 if used in a hydro/aero system must be replaced everyday due to it disapating from the air. After it disaptes the plants defensive system has been killed off by the h202 causing the root rot that was not killed by the h202 left and thus overruns the plants root system. So again h202 should never be used in the hydro system, be kept in the system, although it is safe to use to rid of algae growth in rockwool and other mediums, but never be used in with the root zones regularly. Sm90 is a good product you can use to kill off root rot. Hydroguard helps protect and there are many other products that work as well, hydroguard is one of the more popular ones that work.

To prevent Root Rot, adding product's like Thrive Alive B-1, See Weed, Super thrive will help protect your plant's from root rot and will help cure root problems. ( Again ty so much for giving me the info syko2!!!)

http://forum.grasscity.com/sick-plants-problems/222004-root-rot-help-me.html