Whipping BHO

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Tonywax, Jan 31, 2012.

1. I had a few questions on turning BHO into budder. At which temperature should I whip the oil and what utensil works best for this? My last product turned out like taffy consistency, didn't stick to the fingers to much unless held and warmed up. Thanks for the help :D

2. #2 Chief Tokem, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2012
    http://forum.grasscity.com/stash-jar/979872-wax-sap-tech.html ;)

Although if you would really like to whip your oil into budder then I guess I should help!

I am a bit unsure of how variables play into your extract "budder-ing"! I know that relative humidity, moisture, and even spraying uncured nugz can cause your oil to budder. If you are unable to get your oil to budder by merely doing a sloppy extraction, you could try a few more tricks!

Try whipping with a utensil that has a small tip (dabber, dental pick, etc.) and whip at about 200F (double broil). I don't know how much these variables matter, but I have seen a few of my friends who work for collectives make budder this way. Oh, California medical patients and their infatuation with ears wax lol. :wave:

3. I'd love to know too , last time I tried I made a gram of oil into a thick ass quarter gram , it was noticeably more potent but I know I burnt some off! I tried it in a pyrex dish on a hot plate and used an art razor

4. Every time I have attempted to whip a properly purged oil into a budder or wax, I have been unable to. I am no expert but I believe a lot of the community feels that whipping your oil does who know's what to the chemical composition of it. A lot of the times whipping obviously traps some butane into your extract, as can be seen when you cook some wax down into sap.

5. Here is a few pictures of my last attempt of making my bHO. I used 30 grams of nice trim (bubba) and 1 can of vector. The consistency was taffy like after 2 how water baths and some whipping for about 10 minutes. Yielded 3.0 grams exactly

[​IMG]

and a close up with my cool macro lens attachment for my iPhone hahaaa

[​IMG]

6. Interesting....is this fully clear oil whipped into this taffy? Or did you purge it like that?

7. The oil never was fully clear, id whip it, hot water bathe, whip it, and repeat until no more bubbles would come up off it. Then just whipped and scraped it up

8. Yeah man, there's your problem. You need to do a thorough purge or else it is widely agreed that early whipping leads to trapping air and butane in the final product. Repurge, no biggy.

9. To late, I will with this next batch haha

10. You already smoke it all? Damn fool....

11. So you need heat to make budder correct?

12. Ok...so people be obsseseed with butter.... WHY?!?!?! It's essentially the foam on the top of a beer. It still has cannabinoids in it but it's diluted with oxygen and some hits can have more oxygen than others. From those pictures you need to work on your purging tech before you worry about buttering it up. Throw a pic up of some clear oil. Then we can make butter.

13. #13 Chief Tokem, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2012
    Most definitely quote worthy! :hello:

14. I'm no expert on concentrates I've only made a few. But when whiping a oil like substance into budder or something of the sort wouldn't you trap air not "oxygen" in your product? From reading above comments it seems as though people think there is butane in there whiped concentrates how this is possible I do not know? And as far as potency I'm on the side of the plasebo effect.

15. [quote name='"benchbong"']I'm no expert on concentrates I've only made a few. But when whiping a oil like substance into budder or something of the sort wouldn't you trap air not "oxygen" in your product? From reading above comments it seems as though people think there is butane in there whiped concentrates how this is possible I do not know? And as far as potency I'm on the side of the plasebo effect.[/quote]

Your not making much sense. Please rephrase a little better. When I say oxygen I mean air...because that is the most abundant substance in the air.

The reason I know there is butane is because you cant consider whipping the product as purging. Those are two totally different stepsz

16. [quote name='"washedmothafuka"']

Your not making much sense. Please rephrase a little better. When I say oxygen I mean air...because that is the most abundant substance in the air.

The reason I know there is butane is because you cant consider whipping the product as purging. Those are two totally different stepsz[/quote]

Actually air is 78 percent nitrogen and around 21 percent oxygen. If our atmosphere was mostly oxygen it would make for a very volitile enviorment. But by increasing the surface area durring the whipping. The vast majority of butane should purge.

17. #17 washedmothafuka, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2012
    Ok w/e dude, that doesn't change the fact that you are still trapping tane. You increase surface area by spreading the oil very thin. Whipping it doesn not increase surface area at all. It traps tane and...air...don't believe me if you don't want to. But I'm not going to sit here and debate this with you.

I restate....purging your oil....and the whipping your oil...are two totally different steps. They are not to be combined or you will get a inferior concentrate riddled with tane. It's what most of the clubs sell because they rush they product by going strait to whipping it. You can try repurging your whipped shit if you don't believe me.

18. [quote name='"washedmothafuka"']

Ok w/e dude, that doesn't change the fact that you are still trapping tane. You increase surface area by spreading the oil very thin. Whipping it doesn not increase surface area at all. It traps tane and...air...don't believe me if you don't want to. But I'm not going to sit here and debate this with you.

I restate....purging your oil....and the whipping your oil...are two totally different steps. They are not to be combined or you will get a inferior concentrate riddled with tane. It's what most of the clubs sell because they rush they product by going strait to whipping it. You can try repurging your whipped shit if you don't believe me.[/quote]

I'm sorry I should have been more clear. By whipping A substance your increasing the exposed surface area therfore purging some of the butane. I'm not saying your wrong or insulting you. But just simply asking questions and stating opinions. I'm not a internet dick swinger sorry if it came out that way.

19. Is that what whipping does? :p

You sound like you are trying to explain "exposed surface area" as something different than "surface area". You can't particularly increase the surface area of your extract with out increasing your dish size. So I really don't think that whipping has anything to do with increasing surface area. It may help expose parts of your extract to the air that wouldn't have been due to low surface area of your purging dish, but this shouldn't be a problem if you are doing your runs right. Your extract should have enough surface area to be able to purge easily (at least 4 cups), but people doing large runs often have their extract "budder", due to this lack of surface area (trapping air and/or tane in your extract).

20. it looks to me like your heating it to quickly to hot, when its dark like that your getting toward the amber hash choney oil stuff

plua u have to purge it

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak1oFxTHttY[/ame]