Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Honey Hash Oil Hard Candy Question.

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by wwpk, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Hey, so I'm about to use a butane honey oil extractor on 1/2lb of pretty dank shake. I'm going to then use this oil to make hard candy...my question is should/would the oil be more potent in the candy if i wait until after it reaches 300-305 degrees, and then started dropping to add--or should I add it in earlier in the hard candy process so it mixes better with the sugar syrup but then reaches a higher temperature?

Please lemme know, thanks!

2. #2 BadKittySmiles, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2012
    It's the same glandular material, and as such it needs the same processing as herb in order to be both active, and bioavailable.

In other words, you still need to take your finished BHO/concentrate, and make edible oil with it, even after it's been activated. :)

The below links also include a recipe for hard candy, with instructions on how and when (at what temp) to add your oil, to the candy.

------------------------

Cannabis glandular material is notoriously difficult for the body to absorb, even if it has been activated, and even when it
    is in the form of a sticky filtered concentrate, such as BHO

It needs a 'vehicle' such as oil, glycerin, or even alcohol, which drastically improves cellular permeability, in order to provide
    you with the most absorption and the strongest sensations.

[​IMG]

The above 'water' could be brownie mix, it could be a beverage, candy, or it could simply be the extra contents of your stomach
    after swallowing canna oil.

When you process in oil gently, for long enough, a solution is formed in such a way when the solvent (in this case, oil) creates
    a persistent 'coat' on the broken down particles of the solute (cannabis glandular material)... once this occurs, you have
    a bioavailable 'solution'.

In other words, we choose the edible solvents we do, not only because they are effective at breaking down cannabis
    glandular material, but because they help our bodies absorb it!

And even the specific oil source you choose, directly dictates where in the body, your oil is absorbed.... this is why the
    quality of oil matters, as well.

Unless you know for a fact that your liver does not function properly, and that it consistently over-metabolizes both
    food and medications, you should start with medium-chain containing oils such as coconut oil and palm kernal oil,
    or to a lesser extend, clarified butter.

These oils deliver potency via the portal vein and liver, where a kind of chemical conversion takes place as the liver
    metabolizes the oil, causing the majority of the D9-THC to convert to the more powerful 11-OH-THC!!

Choose the wrong oil, however, and you miss out on most, if not all of that conversion... which results in a much
    weaker, shorter-lived experience.

-------

Under-processing can provide few to no effects, unless you drastically increase and multiply the amount eaten...
    without the right processing, most of your potency goes 'in one end, and out the other' without absorption!
    With the right processing, you can have multiple, stronger, and longer-lasting doses, from the same amount of
    material that only gives you a mild buzz, if you cut-corners.

It's why we have so much dosage discrepancy, and so many failed edible stories... processing matters! [​IMG]

If it is in the form of an extract or concentrate, the main difference is that it may have already been decarboxylated
    (or activated).

***: If you don't know one way or the other, whether or not it has been decarbed, then your best bet is to decarb it very
    lightly, as described in the below tutorial, but a hair more briefly... if it is already active, you shouldn't degrade it too
    much with additional abbreviated activation, and on the off chance it wasn't heat-purged, and it isn't decarbed,
    then a gentle/brief decarb is MUCH better, than working with entirely inactive material!

Active or not, it will still require the same, and sometimes even more effort when moving on to the oil..... this is
    because the glandular material is much more dense, rather than being separated and spread out in the trichomes, and a
    dense concentrate often requires more manual agitation and effort, to break down in oil within a reasonable amount
    of time
    , to prevent over-exposure to heat.

BadKat's Highly Activated & Bioavailable, Med-Grade Canna Oil (starting with flowers/bud/trim etc)

Med-Grade Canna Oil

[​IMG]

BadKat's Highly Activated & Bioavailable, Med-Grade Hash Oil (starting with dry-sift hash, same as capsule recipe, oil can also be used for cooking)

Med-Grade Hash Oil

[​IMG]

BadKat's Highly Activated & Bioavailable, Med-Grade Cannabis Concentrate (Edible & Smokable recipes included... similar to BHO, but made with food grade/drinking alcohol)

-Medical Grade Cannabis Concentrate-

[​IMG]

Highly Activated Bioavailable Med-Grade Hash & Canna Oils, Edibles, Drinkables, and more...

(photo-excerpts, from the above tutorials...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(The above hash oil recipe for capsules, can also be used for any of the oil-based edible recipes in the above link...)

Long story short (TL;DR)... the above may be a bit wordy, or a bit more than you wanted to know up-front, but the actual process is EASY!

Just click the links for instructions. [​IMG]

-----------------------------

The above links also contain a simple recipe (on the first page) for hard candy....

-"Meddy" Moose Pops-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Philosopher's STONES-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hard enough to shatter for 'glass candy'... the 'S', rectangles and squares were formed by hand while still warm and soft, but now, they are hard enough to shatter and break when chewed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's good for other things, too...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

edit - One final note... this is the best time of year (for many of us) to make candy [​IMG] It is usually cool and dry, for many people this time of year. When your temps are too high, and the RH/humidity of the room is over 60%, it is much more difficult for your candy to set-up properly.

Hope this helps! :wave:

[​IMG]

3. wow a lot of information; thank you so much! this is extremely helpful!

4. Just a caution. I tried some I got from a dispensary for the first time last night and got totally fubar'd and knocked on my ass. I had half a candy, waited 30 minutes and nothing happened so I had the other half. About and hour later I was higher than I'd ever been in my life and a little scared. So I just forced myself to chill and made myself go to sleep and sleep it off. It worked great on my spasticity though, just got a bit too high. And it took about 90 minutes total to kick in, when I was expecting 30-60 minutes.

5. None of the links are working for me :( Would love to make some candy and other things. Anyone have these links elsewhere that I can view??

6. The links all work for me. :)

They are individual recipes from the stickied CannaPharm thread, located at the top of this forum.

It's around 40 or so pages long, so without the links you'll have trouble locating what you need. Fortunately, the hash oil and hard candy recipes are on page one!... additional useful information can be found on page 36, or if your page layout is different (some members see 15 posts per page, others see 20 - 40, which alters the page numbers) then post # 537 in the CannaPharm also has a Table of Contents... which may or may not be of much use to you, if your ability to click links is somehow being crippled.

7. Hey guys, I ended up making caramels. I shook a QP for 10 grams of kief. I then turned that kief into hash oil, and then combined with the caramel in last stages once down to ~180F. turned out pretty good, poured in cupcake molds and refrigerated. It takes 2-3 for me to really feel it, but my tolerance is really high. I gave a couple to some friends earlier today and they felt good off 1-2.

It starts to get melty at room temp, but its great for spreading on things like cookies or ice cream. also great by itself, just really sweet.

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

That last picture with some in a bowl is just some leftovers after filling the molds

8. oh, and yeah I used kitty's oil recipes