installing os on new hdd

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by flowgotti12, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Last week my hard drive crashed on my dell vostro 1520 so I had to go buy a new one. Not having the windows boot disk, I downloaded Ubunto to a flash drive and changed the boot order in bios to have the flash first. All I get is a black screen with patent info and this

For Realtek RTL8B111B/8111C/8111D Giga ethernet controller v2.24 (081027

PXE-E61: Media test failure. Check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM

when I have anything else moved to boost first I get

Operating system not found

Any help??
    Thanks in advanced

2. Make sure the flash drive is setup properly.
    It should be formatted as fat32. Download UNetBootIn (freeware) in windows to setup the flash drive with Ubuntu.
    It's a really simple program. You have two drop-down menus. One chooses the destination (flash drive), the other chooses the source (Ubuntu .iso). It formats the drive, installs the ubuntu image to the drive, then makes the drive bootable.

3. To boot from USB you first need to format the USB media (be it memstick or external HD) as a bootable device. Have you done this?

edit: mikeFranklet beat me to it :)

4. Ahh damn I didn't install ubunto on the flash, just downloaded it to it. Thanks man, ill update in a little while if it still doesn't work

5. Cool. Just so you know, .iso files are disk images. Usually you have to mount an image with software or burn it to an optical disc to use the files in it. The .iso on its own is pretty useless.

6. Whenever I had to install from a usb drive I had to use the live cd to setup the installation of ubuntu onto the flash drive so you may have to use another computer to set up your flash drive.