Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How to store coconut cannabis oil

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Sammy123, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Just wondering how to store coconut cannabis oil long term?
    Something longer than a month. Preferably not the freezer.
    Thank you!

2. Best bet would be putting it in an airtight jar, wrapping tin foil around it to keep the light out, and put it in the fridge. That's what I did with my last batch. Saving it for a dry day

3. the woman in the store where i bought my coconut oil claimed that the oil didn't go bad for a long time, even when out of the fridge. But since its kind of pricey i store it in the fridge anyway.

If the freezer isn't an option i would do waht blaze jdm says

4. if you have coconut oil that is not rancid (only be rancid by making it with bad coconuts) then you can leave it for a hundred years and then have some it wont go off EVER, but the cannabinoids will degrade from light so i recomend keeping it in a cool dark place away from direct sunlight and fridge would be good too.

5. One of the best methods is a mason jar, they are airtight and come in numerous sizes, and can be found really cheap on the Internet.

6. where did you get that info jack? I'm kind of skeptical, if you say it won't go rancid for a year i could believe you, but multiple years? How come?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Coconut oil doesnt go rancid because it's a saturated fat oil. ONly about 6 percent of it is polyunsaturated so it's not going to go rancid very quickly. Also, unfiltered coconut oil has constituents of the actual coconut plant that are protective of the actual oil.

For the final answer to this question I would say refrigerate it or freeze it: Thats what I do.

• Like Like x 1
  8. coconut oil can be rancid if you make it from rotten coconuts, trust me you will know the difference the rancid ones taste fowl.

9. But no one makes coconut oil...I mean in their kitchen. Coconut oil doesnt go bad outside in normal temp for a very long time. I store mine outside. Oil oil rancidifies more quickly. Virgin olive and coconut oil will last longer than filtered oil I've heard.

10. Undisputed King of containers!!!

Pricey compared to mason jars, but worth their weight in gold! :D

11. rotten coconuts get used sometimes by companies that distribute coconut oil. coconut oil that has been made with rotten coconuts will still be fine but it has a very strong unpleasant sometimes extremely unplleasant flavour. coconut oil made with rotten coconuts wont go bad but it does not taste good

12. but everything (except for maybe pure alcohol and such) has a shelf life, you can't say it won't go bad unless you take action to protect your coconut oil right?

13. nope unless you are planning to be over 10 thousand years old i think you will be fine storing the coconut oil anywhere, but thc degrades in sunlight so if you have infused it keep outa the sun.

14. so i could have made oil instead of green dragon and take that with me on vacation without any worries that it would go bad?
    Next time i might do that then, i just need a way to get the oil down without tasting too foul

15. yehp also if its good coconut oil it will taste fine, as for making a way to gob it down make into brownies, biscuits etc etc anything that requires baking in the oven will work with coconut oil any ordinary bakeable you can even make canna bread if you want.
    anything that needs stove use lard (soups, curry, steak etc etc) lard is the meat equivelent of coconut oil with cannabis, wont go off im pretty sure or if it does it still is such a long time.

16. i know i can cook it into something, but that way my shelf-life would be greatly diminished. I want to keep it in its oily form as long as i can so i can preserve it for about 2 months. Oh well, i won't worry about that until i have some bud to toss around, thx for the info

17. I've had coconut-canna oil in the freezer for a year and it looks good still. Does anyone know if it's still psychoactive? I would add that I've made canna oil without drying the weed right and it molded pretty quick so that's another thing.

18. Next time make dry ice hash so your oil is as strong as possible and you won't have to eat it by the spoonful to get high..
    I make mine into hash-coconut oil caps and it really doesn't matter once made if I keep them frozen or not..
    I do keep the big jar in the fridge but the working bottle can go for weeks at room temp with no changes..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once bound to the oil it doesn't seem to degrade very fast.. I've got caps over a year old and they haven't lost any punch as far as I can tell..
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
  19. It can vary in my experience, Most everything I have read says its good for at least 6 months unrefridgerated, if made correctly. Just watch for mold, as stated above. The unwanted parts pf the plant can make it mold. Pure oil without plant material will last a really long time. If its not especially green. You should be fine for a few months. Just watch it..

20. Hey blaze. May I ask you a question? If I was to have 56 grams of seasoning to throw in. How much coconut oil would I bath my seasoning in? Second how much oil would I expect to receive? Happy baking all.RAY