Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

marijuana olive oil.. ratio?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by krazy92, Jan 15, 2012.

1. So pretty simple right? Low heat some olive oil for an hr or so, strain the weed out, mix some spices in there, and dip garlic bread into it.

Just not sure what ratio I should use. I plan on using some dank bud, no trimmings or anything.

The more potent the better, I just don't want to overdo it.

2. #2 BLAZE JDM, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2012
    I wouldn't recommend using olive oil to extract with. Even plain vegetable oil has a higher fat content (in my experience.)

I've used about a 1/4 cup of vegetable oil to extract a half oz of ABV. Made 4 good doses, and by good I mean hard & heavy onset about an hour in (on an empty stomach.)

Using dank buds seems like a waste, but if its what you want to do it shouldn't take more than 4-5grams in a 1/4 cup ratio.

Also when using fresh buds make sure you pop them in the oven or microwave to have them go through decarboxylation. This process activates the ingredients.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. #3 jackc, Jan 15, 2012
    use coconut oil for making marijuana oils or butter atleast, never olive oils and vegetable oils when you heat them up they turn to transfats which get stored under your skin for 7 years cause our body cant absorb and dispose of them properly and is one of the leading causes of melenoma cause basically when you get sunburnt the transfats under our skin are cooking even when you go out of the sun they still continue to cook for a while so they are searing your flesh practically. also oils from nuts, seeds ect have very low saturated fat content which is what soaks up the goodies from cannabis, coconut oil i beleive has 90% and butter i think has 60 not sure about butter but anyway use one of those and you will double or triple your potency.

edit: also dont forget to decarb your weed will also make it allot more potent :) get baked mate. :D

4. #4 BLAZE JDM, Jan 15, 2012
    [quote name='"jackc"']use coconut oil for making marijuana oils or butter atleast, never olive oils and vegetable oils when you heat them up they turn to transfats which get stored under your skin for 7 years cause our body cant absorb and dispose of them properly, also oils from seeds ect have very low saturated fat content which is what soaks up the goodies from cannabis, olive oil i beleive has 90% and butter i think has 60 not sure about butter but anyway use one of those and you will double or triple your potency.[/quote]

I agree that coconut oil is a MUCH better choice than either olive or vegetable oil. However I know not everyone has immediate access to it.

Your statement that the transfats created by the heating of olive oil is greater than in other oils is not accurate. I found this when I searched for a source:

"Heating olive oil will evaporate the alcohols and esters which make up the delicate taste and fragrance of olive oil. Heating olive oil will not change its health aspects appreciably. All oils will oxidize if repeatedly heated to high temperatures. Olive Oil seems to be more resistant to this. Heating olive oil will not change it from a monosaturated fat which is considered far healthier than the polyunsaturated fats in margarine or the cholesterol in butter. When olive oil and other vegetable oils are subjected to heating a lower amount of undesirable TRANS fatty acids are formed in olive oil than in the other oils. Use a cheaper, less flavorful pure oil for frying and a more flavorful extra virgin olive oil on salads and as a condiment at the table."

5. olive oil i admit is far better then others when cooking for less transfats but it still does make transfats.

6. i used corn oil and that worked great i would probably put about 2 tablespoons per gram

7. Hello All,
    1. Use ONLY organic olive oil
    2. always stay under temperature of boiling water.
    3. As chlorophyl is not solved in fat, you do not need to decarb (I would recommend drying head down the whole plant a few days before preparation)
    4. Keep the flowers and the small sticky leaves
    5. place in a bowl and cut them with scisors
    6. place in a pot and just cover with olive oil (ratio is cannabis 100 gr for 1/2 l of olive oil)
    7. Use a cooking thermometer and keep the oil during 3 hours between 80 and 92 °C
    8. simply filter and press (do not use fabric or paper to filter)
    9. Keep in the dark in your wine cellar

Using a mix of gorilla and haze (high thc), the potency is very strong. I would recommend a tea spoon of this improved oil on a fresh tomato with parmesan cheese, salt, peper and of course some garlic & fresh basil. Eat that with a glass of rosé. Effect start from 45' to 120', duration 4-6 hours, peak : 1 hour after effect start.
    Do NOT drive, do not wander out of your house and use your couch or your bed...

8. I do one cup flower for one cup oil. Coconut oil for sure. Definitely decarb the weed in the oven, break it down and cook at 245 for 30 to 40 minutes before heating it with the oil.

9. I confirm you that decarb happens automatically in hot oil (you see bubbles appearing along the flower). This decarb method is slower but is really more efficient than your oven.