Mycorrhizal Fungi; Myths and Truths

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Microbeman, Jan 11, 2012.

1. #21 OhioStateBuckeyes, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
    mm.

well i like to compost it personally because after adding sunleaves seabird guano as a topsoil dress once, i started seeing some pests. one time everything was going great, than after the application i started getting these root aphids. dont know if it was the guano or what. so now i let the beauveria bassiana in my soil take care of those guys in a month's "cook" before i use anything with guano. but, thats just me. everyones got their own thing.

i read on here manure needs to be composted....i figured guano fell into that category. its still not going to change my mind about not composting it first, though.

-OSUB

2. It is not really well known if organic P fertilizers inhibit endomycorrhizal fungi. Many of the studies which showed some lower colonization rates when P was applied used inorganic P.

If one is growing natural or organic NPK is not of great concern anyway. Good quality organic matter is of much greater concern.

As for whether bat guano should be composted, I'd say it depends on the source. If the source is old stuff which has likely been processed by bat cave insects then I guess no. If it is fresher, then if it were me, I'd compost it or just use it as a topdress where it can degrade naturally.

3. #23 hope2toke, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
    MM, in your original post you mentioned for it to work with wede, the clover should support the intradaces or mossae mycorrhizae. I've planted a few rounds of a crimson clover rye and buckwheat - 3 rounds of this mix. It doesn't seem to have negative effect, if any thing my plants looked greener and nicer leaves. all 3 rounds have dried out in their time, they were also under pressure from gnats before i gave massive neem, bti, and rosemary/cilantro FPE (my home made ecotrol) which has nocked numbers far down, so I'm taking my time before watering, and looking forward to a 4th round, this time probably all clover- in a 30 gallon smart pot with 3 tga shrubs. hopefully the clover will get enough light or the ambient light will be sufficient. As it is I think it was enough, the buckwheat sprouts i pulled out had its roots tied with the clover, and the root mass was all swollen and pink. Well watching how well the clover did (not so great in total) I suspect the gnats are the cause of failure, however I am also wondering if ACT applications may disrupt the rhizobium's establishment? I'm also considering the palmarosa has any one had a good experience with this type of grass as cover?

4. Just to be clear, I do add my guanos, that I am phasing out, to my thermo and vermi composts not to my soil mix. Every bat guano I have come across has been well composted by the time I get it. From what I can tell, Hi P bat guano is mostly sand (fossilized) anyway.

hope2toke, LD recommends white clover, I'm going to use that and Bahia grass. Both grasses are nitrogen fixing. The swollen pink mass of root may have been the nitrogen fixing legumes of your grasses, grains. This is most likely what helped your plants look greener.

I'm pretty certain an ACT (I'm talking about the micro herd inoculating type of tea, not the feed type) can only really help a well established rhizobium. If there are microbes in the ACT not good for the plant roots and such, they won't survive the environment, due to already established microorganisms.

All my information is that it is hard to overdose on an ACT. Unless one starts throwing stuff in there like composted manures, excessive kelp, etc.

5. #25 hope2toke, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
    makes sense i guess i agree the act would not be a 'problem' once the clover is 3-4 weeks old, well and established plant. i still think the crimson clover should do well and take it as a sign of the soil health it failed, a crimson clover fact sheet states it's a 'newer' variety than the white, but its similar to the white clover with its rhizobium. I am not sure about other clovers. (green, etc),

also think the act's are not needed with the cover crop and given it's sensitivity as sprouts and other pressure (gnats) that it's best to just leave it alone. the clover doesn't need much besides a top dressing of kelp for germination, and probably thinning when they come in too dense,.. these are my estimations any how.

6. There is no indication that ACT would counter-act establishment of rhizobia.

Buckwheat is non-mycorrhizal and some research has indicated it can inhibit endomycorrhizal growth. Better to keep it simple and stick with clover as a companion or living mulch.

• Like Like x 1
  7. The phrase of 'living mulch' originates with a member on ICmag, MadL.

8. Not until i read about "culturing" lactobacillus in this O.G. ("Organic Gangster") bunch, did make fortunate with some fresh female deer pellets...stashed in a jar, under a square 1 qt. pot---now growing white fuzzy stuff.

By GAWD, it's time to move onto female (in heat) horse urine...and get to the bottom of all this!

9. #29 matthewjohn, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2012
    I admit it, it's the Purp!

And this from the Village Garden Web,

"...the Chinese are famous for using "night soil" in their farm fields - some folks over at the soil/compost forum are keen on using "recycled beer" in the compost for a nitrogen boost--Bill"

10. I got a boatload of fungi on its way... I'm going to try a few different mixes of amendments to see how the higher N & P organic guanos and ferts compare to the lower ones and what kind of effects there are.

Will the m. fungi have any issues in a coir based soilless mix?

11. Too bad some stickies are not locked like in some other forums.

12. Please take your advertisements elsewhere. Thank you.

13. hey urlove I don't think it matters if you delete your post, to the contrary. i like seeing blocks of large text that could have only been induced by some kind of a trance. So MM and WD are a bit stiff there, a bit more focused. good for them but it doesnt detract yours

just start a new thread, and feel free to brainstorm there, and ask what ever questions. I don't really understand most of what you asked? but starting a thread (or posting outside the stickies) is a good way to start a discussion on it.

aw cmon, lighten up, what's it to you any way?

14. #34 Microbeman, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2012

I spent a good deal of my valuable time composing the thread to try to have legitimate information concerning mycorrhizal fungi available to those interested. Perhaps I should not bother in future(?)

My statement was not only related to the post by urlove. There appeared to be a general trolling trend.

One more edit: Perhaps I was dreaming, thinking that questions or comments might actually be on topic.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Microbeman...THANK YOU SO MUCH...You really know what you are talking about, let those that want to learn do it...let those that think they know every thing move on...All the info you have taking so much time to put up for every one is SPOT ON and very helpfull if they will only read and learn...Now as far as Chemical's killing all the good stuff?.I think its more the salt in the chem doing it..I dont think a one cell animal like all the stuff that live in tea can tell Organic or chemicial moleculc..its just all food to them...Thanks again MICOBEMAN

16. #36 Microbeman, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
    Here is an interesting and somewhat amusing document. I did forget to mention that Glomus Mosseae was named for one of the authors.

Attached Files:

17. #37 WeeDroid, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
    That's so out of line, hey dude, just chill out, that it makes me want to violently hurl.

Shame on you.

I sure don't. It hurts my eyes to read on a computer screen. I tend to ignore large blocks of text.

18. #38 hope2toke, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2012
    if any one can post a link to the 1961 study about AM sporulation with hemp, i'm intersted in reading it and my browser won't open the window. I'm also curious at which point in the last several decades the significant research about Myco's was conducted? what study in the last few decades may be spoken of, that significantly improved Mycorrhizae's validity in commercial agriculture?

here is a section from the post about the article i am looking for : In 1961 Barrett reported the isolation and culture...stage of growth on pieces of hemp seed. He called the fungus Rhizophagus...again required the transitional hemp seed phase. Mosse (1961) once obtained arbuscular mycorrhizas...

19. hope2; Sorry but no time right now. You could probably track the info down through Google Scholar