Mycorrhizal Fungi; Myths and Truths

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Microbeman, Jan 11, 2012.

1. ... bump this up for dingdong ...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Way TMI. Way TLDR. Learn to write in concise terms. You make very good points, but they are lost in the overkill of minutia you provide. Take English 101, and 102. Then come back and clean up this mess of a thread you started. You have great information, you just have no idea how to deliver/document it so the average reader can comprehend/appreciate it. Knowledge without delivery skills is useless.

3. The guy took the time to write all that to share information, he didn't have too..just like you don't have to read it if it's too much for you.
    Maybe you should contribute something to these forums before feeling like you can criticize people for their "delivery"...

Not to mention you just necro a 5 year old thread...

• Like Like x 6
  4. One of the better threads from a time when quite a few educated individuals deemed it worthwhile to share their perspectives and information here.

Between MM, LD and Chunk I gained invaluable perspective on soil biology, management and sustainability...might be a bit more prudent to try and digest the above information and then express gratitude for sharing it in the first place.

Nobody here owes anything to anyone, nor does anyone have to share....it's out of one's own desire to do so that this and other information is here to begin with.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Well put scoob and gimik.
    @ZaraBeth420, the new "Teaming with Fungi" is out. Its written very well and simple to read. I have only had time to read the first couple chapters.
    os

• Like Like x 4
  6. Troll from another place....

• Like Like x 1
  7. PDF link per chance?

8. @ScoobyDoobiee
    I bought the book, hardcover version. Jeff Lowenfels writes the weekly Garden column here in Anchorage (for the last 40 years), I treasure the printed versions of his books. I will probably beg him to sign it if I bump into him at the Botanical Gardens or nursery. He was the first person I ever heard mention mycorihazae.
    os

• Like Like x 2
  9. A Complete How-To: On-farm AM fungus inoculum production
    A Complete How-To: On-farm AM fungus inoculum production | Rodale Institute

Quick and easy guide to AM fungus inoculum

Quick and Easy Guide: On-farm AM fungus inoculum production | Rodale Institute

"We can boost fungi by boosting protozoa and the best way to do this is to plant peas in Summer. You might include three or four varieties including cowpeas, and you might toss in a sprinkle of fava beans. Boosting protozoa helps to manage bacterial overgrowth while also stimulating fungal numbers."

"the combination of oats and crimson clover is highly mycorrhizal."

"It has been shown that the generous, first exudations of annual rye serve as a superfood for soil life."

"Legumes release acids that break the bond between locked-up calcium and phosphorus in the soil, and both minerals are then available to the cash crop."

"it is essential to have a legume beneath the cereal. "

"The daikon radish will not get much bigger than pencil-thin in this limited time frame before winter, but the first nutrients it will mine at this young stage will be boron, calcium and zinc"

"The first exudation of winter oats serves to make phosphorus (P) and potassium (K) available. However, it does not make P and K available when it is in full growth."

"If I was using 70 lbs of cereal rye per acre as my base and I decided to include winter barley at 10 lbs per acre then I would reduce the cereal rye at a rate of two-to-one. I would cut the cereal rye down to 50 lbs per acre. This ratio is essential because of the thick roots at the surface. However, if I was adding triticale, then it’s a one-to-one ratio. You really need to know the root dynamics. Triticale has a long skinny root, so if I add 10 lbs of triticale, I subtract 10 lbs of cereal rye."

Cocktail Cover Crop Secrets Part One - Love Honeyberry
    Cocktail Cover Crop Secrets Part two - Love Honeyberry

Fall Cover Crops Boost Soil Arbuscular Mycorrhizal Fungi Which Can Lead To Reduced Inputs

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mr. MicrobeMan,

Thank you. I read through this thread five times, did additional research online, also skimmed my copy of Jeff Lowenfel's latest book, (published Jan 2017), Teeming with Fungi: The Organic Grower's Guide to Mycorrhizae . You and others who posted here helped me narrow my choices of which fungi species I should use. My local hydro store did not have my first choice for Glomus intraradices product. So I purchased two products that were mentioned in this thread: (a) the granular VAM-Endo Mix which contains Glomus intraradices , Glomus deserticola, Glomus etunicatum, Glomus clarum, Glomus clariodium, Glomus mosseae, and Gigaspora albida , and (b) the wettable powder Mykos WP which features only one species, Rhizophagus intraradices (a.k.a Glomus intraradices). Per advice from others on this forum, I ensured the expiration date of each product gave me a generous margin of time to use the contents. Prices at my local hydro store were a bit more than the same products sold online, However, I want to support my local hydro store because the staff is always generous sharing their growing experiences and expertise. Am very excited to be embarking on this new adventure in gardening for my health. My cats and two large breed dogs have done so well on CBD products, I decided to make medicine for all of us.

• Like Like x 1
  11. #232 Amauulu, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    More information about what particular species of mycorrhizae is most beneficial for Cannabis.

June 2016 article, entitled CROP-SPECIFIC AND SINGLE-SPECIES MYCORRHIZAL INOCULATION IS THE BEST APPROACH TO IMPROVE CROP GROWTH IN CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENTS. By authors Maarten Van Geel, Matthias De Beenhouwer, Bart Lieven and Oliver Hunnay.

This article does not specifically name any particular mycorrhizal species for Cannabis-specific inoculation. My reading of this article is that using an extravagant "shotgun" approach for inoculation.....throwing a whole array of endomycorrhizae and ectomycorrhizae plus trichoderma at your Cannabis crop.....may not be the best or most economic approach. Each plant species forms a unique association with only certain mycorrhizal species among the hundreds (perhaps even thousands) on the planet......Mycorrhizae have been around for over 450 million years. Since it has been previously stated here and in other forums that Cannabis has a particular affinity for forming a symbiotic association with only two endomycorrhizae species Glomus intraradices (a.k.a Rhizophagus intraradices and Glomus mosseae, until further research proves otherwise, I am limiting my choice.....and spending my money.....for products which feature these two endomycorrhizal species.

12. #233 Amauulu, Apr 12, 2018
    DOES TRICHODERMA INTERFERE WITH MYCORRHIZAE ROOT COLONIZATION? I googled this question and discovered a variety of answers on www.researchgate.net. Best answer: It depends on which Trichoderma species you are going to use. Several responses suggest you initially inoculate your seeds or clones with your chosen mycorrhizal fungi, then wait a week to 3 weeks to give the mycorrhizal fungi time to grow and become established, and then apply the appropriate amount of the particular trichoderma species that recommended for your plant.

No, I do not know which trichoderma species is particularly recommended for Cannabis. Perhaps you can give us the name of the trichoderma we should be using for Cannabis?

13. I always ask the seller for the expiration date. My local hydroponics store carries both the BioAg product and the Xtreme Gardening product. I haven't looked at other products because I decided after reading MicrobeMan's original post above that these two products would serve me well as long as the living organisms were relatively fresh.

The expiration date for the VAM Endo Mix is printed and located on the upper left corner of the back of the package within in the white field-label which lists the active seven species of fungi which are:
    Glomus intraradices
    Glomus deserticola
    Glomus etunicatum
    Glomus clarum
    Glomus claroidium
    Glomus mosseae
    Gigaspora albida

The expiration date on the xtreme gardening product is embossed/perforation-stamped on the front of the package at the top left corner of the front of the bag....the top part of the bag which you have to tear off in order to open the bag. The expiration date is somewhat difficult to read, so look carefully. This product contains a single species, listed as Rhizophagus interadices....which, before being reclassified, is still widely known as Glomus intraradices.

I was happy to be able to purchase fresh product from my local hydro store. I had seen on Amazon that a couple of customers had received products that had expired.

Yes, I paid a more at my local retailer than the Amazon price for these products. At least I knew what I was buying before I left the store and I also want to support our my merchants.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Different mind set of Pumpkin growing contestants?
    The Pumpkin People are apparently in on the same "secret" as Cannabis growers. One of the most popular products....a mycorrhizal inoculant for pumpkin cultivation.... contains only a single species: Rhizophagus intraradices (a.k.a. Glomus intraradices).

• Like Like x 1
  15. #236 Amauulu, Apr 12, 2018
    Just read in the International Journal of Experimental Botany about a study done on shade-grown cherry tomato plants using endomycorrhizae Rhizophagus intraradices (a.k.a Glomus intraradices) with Azospirillum brasilense
    which were inoculated onto the seeds and/or roots of clones of cherry tomato plants. Apparently, the tomatoes tasted just fine.

Tomato plants require the same or similar soil conditions and nutrients as Cannabis. This study concluded that mycorrhizal Rhizophagus intraradices fungi and bacterium Azospirillum brasilensis mutually combine to more greatly enhance a plant's growth and yield. Good for tomatoes growth and yield = good for cannabis growth and yield. The authors of this study were Lira-Salvidar, RH. A Hernandez, LA Valdez, A Cardenas, L Ibarra, M Hernandez, N. Ruiz. (The article is also published in Spanish).

I will be using a product called "Azos" along with another product containing mainly Rhizophagus intraradices in my grow.

• Like Like x 1
  16. You should get the "wettable powder" of your mycorrhizal product. Get a kebab skewer (a small narrow one) . Get a sauce baster ("turkey baster) with a good sized suction bulb., Using correct pH non-chlorine, non-chloramine water, mix up your solution of mycorrhizal powder into a glass bowl or jug container. Use your kebab skewer to poke several holes around the root zone of your plant. Fill up your turkey baster with the well-stirred mycorrhizal powder. Use the tip of your turkey baster to "inject" and squirt the mychorrhizal solution below-into the root zone of your plant via the little holes you've made with your kebab skewer.

• Like Like x 1
  17. If I recall correctly Azo prefix bacteria are usually nitrogen fixing bacteria.
    For insight into the Pumpkin growing crowd, google AK state fair winning pumpkins, or something like it. We grow em big up here. Those guys are super secretive about how they do it. You would swear it was illegal they are so secretive.
    cheers
    os

18. Apparently, the "secret" of growing enormous pumpkins has been leaked. Ron Wallace (who says he's won many pumpkin growing prizes) markets a product called Pumpkin Pro a "premium mycorrhizal inoculant". It contains only one mycorr. species....Rhizophagus intraradices.store.

I was not surprised when I found out who manufactures Ron Wallace's product. Mr. Wallace uses the same manufacturer that makes Xtreme gardening's Mykos WP product:

This manufacturer, Reforestation Technologies International, 5355 Monterey Frontage Rd., Gilroy, CA 95020. was founded in 1993 by Neil and Maria Anderson in Monterey, CA. The Andersons originally focused on producing regeneration products and technology for forestry, mine reclamation and erosion control; they' have since expanded to supply agriculture, landscaping and home gardening markets.

Am glad to know I am buying a genuinely Made In USA product that I hope will successfully compete with the Canadian companies.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Read an article recently showin that combining azo and the rhizophagus intraradices increased the inoculation success and improved the results

Sent from my SM-G930F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1