Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How do I make proper Marijuana Tea for an old man?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by classicgreenery, Dec 30, 2011.

1. #1 classicgreenery, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2011
    As the the title says how do i make Marijuana tea?

My old man is about 85yrs old and has Parkinson, and i have no idea how to make marijuana tea, so any help is heavily appreciated! Like how much weed do i need? ( i do not have leaves )

Thanks!

2. that isn't a guide.

3. No you are right, its a question.

4. Then what's the point of a marijuana forum if u keep referring people to google, im pretty sure there's people out here who are experienced in that subject.

5. Funny how they looked at the link without seeing the advice.
    BadKittySmile's will be able to answer anything cooking related.

Seek her out she most likely wont see this.

6. If you have access to cannabis tinctures drop that into his tea. You can also try making your own tincture and use it whenever you want.

7. #9 BadKittySmiles, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2011
    I hate to have to be brief when helping a patient, just because it's new years eve, but quickly (unless I ramble on), off the top of my head.....

Keep in mind that cannabis glandular material is not considered very water soluble, and with all the water content, it is also not greatly soluble in even milk, or high-fat cream.

These recipes take hours of exposure to heat, in order promote a decent level of bioavailability, by which time much of the beneficial properties have actually degraded.
    Where water is present, much like the old 'water-butters', it becomes a matter of:

Either stopping short of the full process, leaving a patient to consume potency that can't be absorbed, and will go 'in one end, and out the other' without absorption! Or, you must process for too long, in order to achieve a decent level of bioavailability, at the cost of a great deal of your potency.

In that way, milk/water-based extractions, provide patients with a lose-lose scenario.

Recreational users, who make tea's this way, feel largely only the terpene content, aided slightly by the placebo effect.

Many of the over 120 terpenes in cannabis have sedative, analgesic, and even cancer-fighting properties, all their own! They are also responsible for the odor produced by cannabis...

Their 'odorous presence', in a tea, or even in an improperly made oil, does not necessarily indicate cannabinoid presence, or bioavailability!

---------

Knowing your fathers age and condition, I'd suggest making him a -cold tincture or cold oil- to start... cold tinctures contain primarily bioavailable THCA, rather than THC.

THCA is the less or non-psychoactive precursor, to psychoactive THC.

Older, frail patients suffering from Parkinson's, MS and similar ailments, should be started on an 'inactive' THCA oil or tincture...

Unless of course they've had somewhat-recent, (and positive) past experiences with smoking cannabis... or in other words, if he's had experience with smoking or eating 'active' THC. :)

Many patients with MS, Parkinson's, or other frail conditions, who have not experienced 'activated' (or potent-feeling) cannabis, often find the 'therapeutic doses' to be much too strong, sensation-wise.

When your cannabis has been 'activated' you receive the powerful (sensation-wise) THC, versus what many see as 'inactive' THCA, which provides little to no noticeable sensation... but however, THCA is no less powerful medicinally, in many aspects, and still has wonderful: anti-spasmodic, anti-cancer, analgesic and other beneficial properties!

------------------

"“THCA” =D9-THCA = Delta9-THCA A: D9-tetrahydrocannabinol acid – This is the precursor to THC and is typically the most abundant cannabinoid produced in most plants grown at present. (Dried cannabis typically contains 15-25% THCA.) A large fraction (but not all ) of the THCA converts to THC upon strong heating (> 200F). The amount converted depends on the details of the temperature and timing. THCA has been shown to have anti-spasmodic and anti-proliferative (anti-cancer) properties, as well as evidence of anti-inflammatory activity. (In fact, there are other acid forms of THC, but they are almost always present in only very small quantities. THCA A and THCA B differ only in the placement of the carboxylic acid group. THCA A is almost always the version referred to when no designation is made.)

THC"= “D9-THC” = Delta9-THC = D9-tetrahydrocannabinol – Thought to be the most psychoactive of the cannabinoids and largely attributed with many beneficial medical properties, such as pain relief, appetite stimulation, anti-spasmodic properties, anti-emetic properties and many more. Plants don’t produce this compound directly. (Dried plant material contains only a few percent THC.) It is produced from THCA (see next entry) by heating or exposure to UV light. Not all THCA ends up as THC. Heating has been shown to convert at most about 70% of the THCA into THC. The “D9” in the name indicates the specific location of a carbon-carbon double-bond in one of the rings" - Some Medicinal Properties of Cannabinoids | halentlabs.com

------------------

So, if you produce a bioavailable blend of, what many recreational users see as, 'inactive' THCA, he can receive MUCH higher doses, without feeling very or even at all stoned!

In this way, frail patients can remain alert, aware and comfortable, while still receiving both unique benefits, and many of the same medicinal benefits as the 'more-active' THC (and even more benefits, from the undamaged terpenes, which normally would be very seriously degraded upon exposure to heat!)

The only problem, is that a cold oil or tincture can take weeks to make.

-------------

Here are a few links that should help with both 'active' and cold recipes....

Active THC:

BadKat's Highly Activated & Bioavailable, Med-Grade Canna Oil

Med-Grade Canna Oil

[​IMG]

BadKat's Highly Activated & Bioavailable, Med-Grade Hash Oil (same as capsule recipe, oil can also be used for cooking)

Med-Grade Hash Oil

[​IMG]

Glycerin Tincture

[​IMG]

'Inactive' (but medicinally active) THCA:

Important Notes on Activation, and Desired Outcome (useful for MS, Parkinson's and other potentially frail patients)

[​IMG]

Terpene Information

[​IMG]

A cold glycerin extraction can be performed as well, but takes several months.

If you go for a cold recipe.. here are suggestions to speed things up:

I would suggest a cold grain (drinking) alcohol extraction, using whatever cannabis/material you have available.

*** If he can't tolerate alcohol, do not worry: there will be no alcohol in the finished product!

*** It is important that the temperature remains as low as possible for the duration of the process, preferably below 80 f.

This will rapidly begin the process of breaking down that glandular material, in such a way that it can almost immediately pass through a coffee filter... it is still not yet broken down enough, nor is it a complete enough solution, and as such it is only partially, but not yet fully bioavailable within the human body.

Before the alcohol evaporates, add grapeseed, sesame, or olive oil. Evaporate the alcohol near either an open window, or in a well-ventilated room, with a fan aimed at the surface.

A flat dish of alcohol will evaporate much more rapidly, than a tall cup!

Once the alcohol is gone, and you are left with a blend of cannabinoid/terpene concentrate, and either sesame, grapeseed or olive oil, you should then blend in gently-warmed liquiefied coconut oil, and continue mixing with further heating, blending as well as possible. Use roughly 50%coconut oil, versus the other previously mentioned oil/s... if you blend frequently enough, it should stay relatively liquid.

This should be placed in the freezer for a minimum of two days, or as long as week, in the coldest area of your freezer (near the ice-cube maker, or the shelf intended for trays of ice-cubes). Freezing helps to disrupt cellular integrity, allowing the miniscule particles and clumps of glandular material to break down even further, and upon warming to room temperature it will more easily become bioavailable in only a matter of weeks, rather than a matter of months, and months.

This oil should not produce a 'high', except when taken in ridiculously high doses, by people with very low tolerance.

If you used decent flowers, he should begin with less than 0.20g. Take into consideration how much material you used to make your oil, if you used 5 grams, then you've got 25 doses.

You can use as much, or as little oil-to-herb as you like... but remember, do not cook with it, or it will begin to 'activate' your THCA, turning some of it into the more powerful, sensation-wise, THC!

-----------------

Dosing...

For his very, very first dose, he should be given only the equivalent of 0.05g at a time. Depending how much oil you used, this could be anywhere from a few drops, to a teaspoon!

So remember to divide the volume of oil you finish with, by the number of doses you created! If you used 5 grams, and made 4 Tbsp (which is also 1/4 a cup, and 12 teaspoons) of oil, that's 25 doses... 25 divided by 12, means each dose will be slightly smaller, than half a teaspoon, or just over 2ml.

A disposable measuring pipette will help you to deliver sterile, accurate doses... you can buy a thousand of them for less than $5. :)

And he can safely consume an 'inactive' tincture or oil in a warm cup of tea, without fear of 'instant activation'...it takes much, much longer (hours), in a water-based beverage, for THCA to convert or become very 'active'.

So start with the equivalent of 0.05g, and each hour that he feels comfortable, give another 0.05g, stopping once you reach 0.20 - 0.25g, or if he begins to feel 'a little funny', whichever comes first.

And as the days go on, you can slowly increase his dose, and even begin adding 'active oil' to the mix as his tolerance to cannabinoids and terpenes slowly improves. :)

------------------

This turned out longer than I thought it would! I'm sorry if I wasn't very clear, I'll check back later to clear things up if you need.

Hopefully it gives you some help and insight though. :D

I hope you and your dad have a Happy New Year, and that his condition improves! :wave:

8. Knew I could count on you, Kitty! :D

Happy New Year, one and all! :hello: :smoke: :yay:

Granny :wave:

9. I would like to marry badkitty one day

10. [quote name='"SammySess"']

Then what's the point of a marijuana forum if u keep referring people to google, im pretty sure there's people out here who are experienced in that subject.[/quote]

Seriously??? Fk you just encourage the opinion of weed smokers being lazy. I googled and pasted first link. A mj site is great but you can't help ppl that don't help themselves.

11. Bump!   Due to the Awesome Tea Recipes found in this Thread specifically.