How can you deny the fact weed isnt a gateway drug?

Discussion in 'General' started by XUFCshroomeryX, Jun 2, 2006.

1. I believe they call weed a gateway drug because it is the first illegal drug most people try.

I tried alcohol, then weed. Coffee is also a drug. Not to mention kids on ADD meds. People who are going to do drugs are going to do them no matter what and for lots of kids, weed is easier to get than alcohol.
    Weed is a gateway drug to Taco Bell and that's it.

[WOO!! 500!]

2. To the people that think marijuana is a gateway drug, please refer to my post.

3. "well [drunk] is fuckin awesome, i wonder what a [high] feels like" -me
    "well [cigarettes] are fuckin awesome, i wonder what [smoking weed] feels like"

4. Caffiene is my gateway drug.
    Mary Jane is my anti-drug.

5. sorry folks, I don't buy the gateway drug crap. I don't smoke cigarettes regularly, only maybe once every four months. Never finished a pack, never could stomach two in a day. Never touched alcohol, the taste makes me wanna wretch. I have never done anything stronger than weed - no mushrooms (I do wanna try shrooms but that is as far as I'm willing to go and even then I'm reluctant.) No sniffers, nothing.

So...how is it my gateway drug? I don't do anything else that is illegal except for maybe parking without paying the parking thingy. Damn tickets!

The same deal with all of my friends - no one has done worse than weed, one or two tried shrooms a few times and that's it. Now, in addressing the fact that weed is the first drug people turn to, that's because of how widespread it is. It is rather stupid to believe it is a gateway drug just because most people who do hard shit smoke weed - Weed is -the most widely used recreational drug in the world- I am willing to say more so than cigerattes, maybe less than alcohol, not sure. But it is definitely the most in the illegal drugs section. Of course it will be associated with every other drug, but at the same time, do you see -most- weed users start doing the slippery slope shite? Hell no. It's like saying, I dunno, Pepsi is the gateway drink to fast food; just because it is widely consumed does that mean it tempts 25 percent of the consumers to stuff their mouthes with fries, cheeseburgers, tacos only to top it all off with a few Big Gulps?

Those who turn to harder shit will do so no matter what drug they try first. If it was easier to obtain any other drug, then I assure you, that drug would be their first drug of choice (as seen in previous hard liners; they started with the legal, easiest to obtain, and worked their way down.)

Did any of this shit make sense? I've been dry for 4 weeks and it's killing my brain. :(

6. hahahahahahahaha... wow, one of the old and most bulshit myth about the great ganja! when amsterdam legalized marijuana ( long time ago ) they actually conducted a study of how many hard drugs were used from that point on... the numbers decreased by a lot! dont surrender to the propaganda that all these dickheads try to feed us. the easiest way to find out about marijuana is to go to a (RESPONSIBLE) source on the internet that actually has materials that were recorded by scientists... but there probably isnt that many cause of all the pissed off government organizations hating to find out they are wrong.

7. you are ignorant in your views...its the type of person, surroundings, how they were brought up, what type of decision maker they are, among other things not the erb that is a "gateway"

8. I'm sorry man, but you're missing the point then. Because if that trully is your argument, then you need to take an argumenative class. That fact that you capitalized 'CAN' to stress the importance of the word has lead me to believe that you trully do not understand what you are spouting. Smoking weed has absolutely no barring upon what happens later in life. the word "can" completely negates your entire argument. I can't even begin to describe how deeply in shock I am at that one paragraph that I quote...

9. Amazingly said. If weed wasnt so unacceptable in our culture, the "gateway drug" argument wouldn't exist. Ever wonder why the alcohol as a gateway drug study has never been done. If kids were taught that there actually is a responsable way to use drugs, and that if you smoke weed you wont immidately go overboard and start smoking everyday and hanging out with a "bad crowd" who tries more dangerous drugs, the gateway drug issue would dissapear, and i think that it may even bring down the number of hard-drug addicts. Saying weed is a gateway drug is like saying chicken is a gateway meat, that most people who eat red meat eat chicken first.

Thats the one thing that people dont get. There ARE responsible ways to use drugs. Even before i tried weed the first time, i went online and looked up the FACTS, weighed the pros and cons, and made an informed decision. I have also had great intrest in trying other drugs, mostly psychadelics. I've read up a lot on things like acid and shrooms, the health risks, and how to use them responsibly, so when i do decide to try these drugs, i can do it responsabily and minimize the risk, and have the best possible experience. The problem is that most people do not do this before trying new drugs, which is why marijuana gets the reputation as a gateway drug, when in reality its irresponsability of the user themselves, not of the drug.

When it comes down to it, YOU DECIDE WHAT AND WHAT NOT TO PUT INTO YOUR BODY, not marijuana.

10. I think that it does raise the potential chance of someone doing other drugs just because once you've been smoking weed your mindset on drugs changes and you release things are not so bad, or you care less.

11. Well i didnt expect everyone to agree with me on a weed smoking forum, but I appreciate everyone's respectful replies. All i know is that I would have never tryed Shrooms, oxycontin, dxm, etc. If it weren't for me smoking weed.

12. I never said that it was however, after people become stoners they tend to want to experiment bigger and better things and that is why i consider weed a gateway drug because it changes people's mentality on drugs..

13. they say weed leads to other stuff like coke e and all the otha drugs ..... but the truth is that the only thing weed leads to is junk food :smoking:

14. lmfao. youre a fool. of course smoking weed can determine what happens later in life. by denying that, you are sounding incredibly ignorant. i cant believe im being argued with on a forum full of potheads anyways....

heres my post from the 1st page:
    my point is that, depending on the person, smoking weed will eventually lead to harder drugs. however, as many people here have already pointed out, the biggest factor is the person himself, not the weed. BUT, the point still stands that most people start out with weed (or alcohol, but im ignoring that because its socially acceptable almost everywhere), and since it is the 1st "drug" that they try, it is considered the "gateway" drug, because it opened the world recreational narcotics to them....

what percentage of drug users (im talking about stuff OTHER than weed, i.e coke, shrooms, etc) started out with weed? we dont know the answer for sure, but im gonna take a wild guess and say that its pretty damn high (lol), without a doubt at least 50%...but likely much higher than that anyways....and hence the term "gateway" drug....to me its a justifiable label, i just think that most people misinterpret what is meant by "gateway drug" because theyre either stupid or high....

one more thing, slightly off-topic. i hate it when potheads try to defend their usage by pointing out that everyone uses "drugs" everyday. and then they give examples like tylenol, etc etc.....this isnt directed at anyone here in general....it just annoys me when people say some really stupid shit like that.....cuz there is a huge difference between drugs from a pharmacy and drugs used for recreational purposes....

do you get my point now?

15. i agree. but it must be stated that whether they go on to using harder drugs depends greatly on the type of person they are....but its still a fact that weed is what opened most people up to the world of recreational drugs....

16. No I don't, but I, and most anyone on here won't even get your point of view.

You know, I think the problem with debating this topic is not the amount of facts being presented, but the thought process of the individual. Some people might say someone who did coke but smoked weed first is a result of the gateway theory. Myself however, do not feel this is true. I feel this is a completely different situation which smoking marijuana in the past has no barring on. So to me, I'm done with this debate, not because I don't get your point of view, but because I've come to the conclusion that this debate is about semantics. And such debates will never die.

17. ^ill respect that. i disagree, but not completely. i just feel that it really depends highly on the individual himself and why he makes his decisions. its very difficult to generalize about, and thats why we disagree. we are both right to an extent, but i think we are each focussing on different situations and different types of people within our respective views....

and i agree that semantics plays a part in the debate, simply because of people not explaining themselves clearly, or because of people having different views about what is considered a "gateway drug".....and there really is no solid definition anyways...

18. i been smoking so much... the main reason why i smoke now is because i think "sober" life is EXTREMLY boring.... YES!!!! IT ISSSSS getaway drug