planets part of an atom?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by foreverforum8, Dec 16, 2011.

1. In theory anything thats not impossible will eventually happen

2. [quote name='"ddog7x"']theory
    [thee-uh-ree, theer-ee]   Origin
    the·o·ry
       [thee-uh-ree, theer-ee] Show IPA
    noun, plural the·o·ries.
    a coherent group of tested general propositions, commonly regarded as correct, that can be used as principles of explanation and prediction for a class of phenomena: Einstein's theory of relativity. Synonyms: principle, law, doctrine.[/quote]

But still could be wrong. Humans in all honesty, dont know jack shit in the grand scheme of things

3. I didn't say he was right, I said you were so bent on being right you were being a dick.

4. OP; you're idea sort of has a basis but not a very strong one. Planets spin and travel along their orbits due to gravity. Electrons (according to the currently accepted sub atomic model) do the same thing but not because of the same reason. At the subatomic level, the laws of physics go right out the window.

Also, googling "why do electrons orbit" gave this as the first result:
    CCMR - Ask A Scientist!

5. They are all connected by Standing Wave Resonance. From the smallest electron, to the most super massive star.

6. #26 jomo, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2011
    ...because our sun and earth being so LARGE are influenced by Gravitational Force. In contrast to Electrical Forces (And strong and weak forces? I don't know anything about those) which are the forces influencing subatomic level matter. Therefore planets will not behave like atoms, so technically no.

However this isn't to say that what our solar system does make, and galaxies, couldn't be a part of some higher order system, like atoms are the building blocks of ours, our universe even:hippie:

7. I've had this sane thought, well sort of, the way I imagined it was that maybe the scale of matter is actually Mitch bigger than we thought like things we percieve as microscopic and things we percieve as enourmous are all really in the middle of this range and there are things smaller than atoms and bigger than solar systems but is impossible for us to see them. Maybe electrons and other sub atomic particles are made up of many smaller particles and planets and solar systems are all part of a much bigger system but since we are so small it is like we can only see one "molecule " that makes up this system. That's the best I can explain it, you just have to imagine it

8. At any point in a perspective, we are both infinitely small and big. The universe goes on in both directions indefinitely.

9. Ya dude that's what I was tryin to say

10. well i dont think they are the same thing, atoms and planets, but what i agree with is that you can see a basic model functioning in all levels of reality, be quantum to macro cosmos, from stars to brain cells.

11. [quote name='"foreverforum8"']All you GC members know how atoms are made right? theres a nucleus with electrons flying around the nucleus at extreme distances away from it. And im sure you all know atoms are what makes up this world. well you think the plants are just parts of an atom? every galaxy has its own sun(s) so could the suns be the nucleus and the rest of the planets be the electrons? and since our scientist say space is unending but it could be like that cuz we just make up a whole world and we cant possible explore of that which would give the unending idea some validity?

just a thought id like to see if anyone else has thought of that[/quote]

What's trippy about that is I saw a video on YouTube where they looked at what a atom looks like close up an it was nothing but space :crazy stuff

12. The solar system (which is what everyone means when they say "planets") looks similar to the picture of what people think of when they think of atoms because the force of gravity is a sort of cousin or brother/sister to the force of electromagnetism. This is why most people think there is a general theory out there that should be able to describe all known forces in nature.

A side note, gravity is currently the only one that hasn't been connected with the other forces via an explicit equation. That is to say, we know how it works but we don't yet have a direct line from the singular force from which all the forces we see today come out of (as the universe formed).

@OP: First off space isn't unending. It might be larger than we could either hope to explore or be able to see but it does have an end. Just like there is a finite distance you can "zoom in" on (a Plank distance is the name of it at the moment).
    For me whats more interesting is that our mind can dream up a picture of a structure of something, then build a device to show us that very thing but the actual version of it that nature has made. Then using that, dream up a whole new thing that goes in either direction (what each part of the original is made up of or how all of it together makes something even larger).

Of course all of this comes from the fact that what people normally picture as an atom isn't really what an atom looks like. Electrons don't orbit on a path and a proton and neutron aren't bodies to be orbited around, they themselves are made up of yet smaller particles. Electrons only have a % chance of existing in any particular place but they have a much much higher % chance in particular places around atoms. Those places are "clouds" that have a particular shape depending on which atom you are looking at and within those clouds there are places at particular distances from the center where they have a even better chance of "being". I use "" because electrons aren't in any one particular place at one time but shared amongst all the other atoms around it.

ok ok I'm gonna stop here because this is turning into a class rather than just a post. Nature is absolutely amazing because if you look around long enough anything you can dream up has a good chance of being true.

13. We still don't know what gravity is.. it's just theories. I think what OP is saying is that perhaps the forces are similar between micro and macro scale, just in different proportion.

Size is relative, so maybe atoms combine there forces to create the same pattern in a much larger scale?

14. Why bash OP's own theory?

all of science is one big theory. theory doesn't mean it's true

You're gonna die and still not know what the fuck just happened. Owned:cool:

15. we should not be sayin its impossible and be negative about his question.. we shud be finding out if it cud be, is it possilbe, why or why not.. not jus jump to conclusion.. to me the similarities are great.. i dont know anything bout atoms but the principles appear the same to me .. anything is possible and nothing shud be overlooked..if we kept turning outrageous ideas out the window, the world would still be flat

16. lets stop pretending like the laws (really, just law) of physics breakdown between immensely large and small objects. that is false. what is true is OUR UNDERSTANDING of physics breaks down. at some point in the future, or maybe humans will never reach this point, there will be (there already is, be it unknown) one universal equation to explain everything.

17. um no. We have a set of laws that describe the four forces. What breaks down is when we try and combine all of them into one larger force that was present in the first few moments of the big bang. and by the first few moments I mean between the very instant after the big bang and something like 1x10^-20 seconds after. That amount of time was enough for the universe to cool enough for electrons and quarks to form and the four forces we know about to separate out into the ones we see today.

If/when we find a universal equation for this universe the things we know today will still be true and you will be able to get them out of that universal equation. The only difference is it will also be able to describe what is going on when you have lots of gravity in a very small section of spacetime.

When they describe the equations as "breaking down" it means that you get an infinity over zero or some combination of a fraction involving infinity and zero. The equation still works it just doesn't tell you anything useful anymore.

So everyone please stop saying these things are only theories, yes they are but your using the word theories as if they haven't been proven a thousand times over in a hundred different ways. No the OP's idea isn't right because we already have observable evidence that things are the way they are. If you want to say that there could be a chance and we should listen because there is a 1/100000000000000000000000 chance that it could be right then sure go for it but I for one say go play the lottery if you want those kinds of terrible odds.

P.S. I'm not trying to bash the OP for posting his/her idea. I like that they did, it makes for an interesting topic but I AM trying to bash all the replies that say we shouldn't discount the idea because it's all just a theory and every little thing could be possible cause, "you just don't know man!" We do know and we can say it with as much certainty as you can that you'll wake up tomorrow and the sun will rise.

18. damn owned

19. Can we start banning people from this sub-forum if they go in here and post a bunch of pseudoscientific shit?

20. Your a close minded fuck and we need to ban members like you douche bag