Timberline organic compost

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by BeZtoken, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Thanks for the info and link. It's to late tho I picked up the dairy doo products Friday.

If nothing else you gotta love this packaging.

BeZ...V

Attached Files:

2. BeZ, its your call, of course, but I find that I get good results by having some diversity in my compost. I'm not sure, but is that simply composted manure? I'm not saying that it wont work excellent, but the Coast of Maine compost has a mess of different stuff in it, and I truly believe that the diversity helps me out - alot.

My soil mix ends up with a very wide array of compost and vermicompost and then of course ammendments in it. If you can afford it, it might be a great idea to not limit yourself to a single source, is all I'm saying. I have 3 different kinds of compost that I use, besides the vermicompost, with all kinds of organic goodies composted into the assorted mixes.

:)

jerry.

3. Yeah jerry its basically just composted cow manure, but it is taken care of properly to kill seeds and pathogens and as far as I know the only packaged compost from this state approved for use on certified organic produce.

I also watched videos on YouTube and it looks to me that there interested and excited about making worm castings fed nutritious diverse diets. So I will be using both in my soil mix, along with my other amendments of course.

And I like the rags to riches story of the bankrupt Michigan dairy farm that turned itself around through compost.

So I'm gonna give them a shot.

LD thanks for the link and the concern. I did find that site in my searches.

But being a thru and thru, Maze and Blue, Michigan Wolverine fan I just couldn't bring myself to use a product from that other place.LOL

I did try to get the U of M compost but they use it all on there campus.

I'm transplanting into the flower pots tonight, maybe ill start a journal or something so others can see if the dairy doo and my simple methods are worth the effort.

BeZ...V

4. Race tracks toss out a lot of horse manure. It may need to be composted though.

5. http://michigancompost.com/call-us/

Farm Compost Use

The City of Ann Arbor Compost Center, At the Wheeler Service Center, 4150 Platt Road, 48108 - 734.794.6380

Michigan

Mary Appelhof
    Flowerfield Enterprises
    10332 Shaver Road
    Kalamazoo, MI 49024
    269-327-0108
    nancy@wormwoman.com
    WormWoman.com - Worm Composting (vermicomposting) resources

I wrote "Worms Eat My Garbage," and have been shipping redworms for over 20 years. Weather permitting, we ship all year on Mondays during weeks without holidays, live delivery guaranteed. $24 lb. includes shipping. We also carry worm books, bins, videos.

(Maybe she sells vermicompost, too?)

You're right - Michigan does not have much in the way of compost that I could find briefly.

Maybe MIW can chime in?

jerry.

Hollow's Landscape Supply - South East Michigan's Premiere Landscape Supplies Center

6. Call Michigan Compost Today

Farm Compost Use

The City of Ann Arbor Compost Center, At the Wheeler Service Center, 4150 Platt Road, 48108 - 734.794.6380

Michigan

Mary Appelhof
    Flowerfield Enterprises
    10332 Shaver Road
    Kalamazoo, MI 49024
    269-327-0108
    nancy@wormwoman.com
    WormWoman.com - Worm Composting (vermicomposting) resources

I wrote "Worms Eat My Garbage," and have been shipping redworms for over 20 years. Weather permitting, we ship all year on Mondays during weeks without holidays, live delivery guaranteed. $24 lb. includes shipping. We also carry worm books, bins, videos.

(Maybe she sells vermicompost, too?)

You're right - Michigan does not have much in the way of compost that I could find briefly.

Maybe MIW can chime in?

jerry.

Hollow's Landscape Supply - South East Michigan's Premiere Landscape Supplies Center

7. Jerry

Mary Appelhof is directly responsible for the number of home worm bin people. Her book, Worms Eat My Garbage, is always the one recommended for newbies.

She passed away a few years back but her book and her work will live on. In the book she has the plans for a coffin-style worm bin that is made from a single sheet of plywood. Chunk built one of these and he can fill you in on how easy it is to fabricate.

Great woman who did a lot in her retirement years.

LD

8. BeZ, as your finding MI is not an organic mecca. But there are some knowledgeable folks that can help. If you follow some of those links you will find local organic farmers. I did the same and found two in my area. I went to the farms and introduced myself and told them I was interested in learning organic ways for my veggie garden, and sought their advice. In both instances I was in for a couple hours of intense learning from folks committed to organic growing and lifestyles. Both sold meats and veggies, but i bought neither. I explained I wanted to learn for my own gardening

Take a ride in the country, look for horses. Stop in and ask for manure, ask them about their farm. I never been disappointed doing that or got the cold shoulder. These guys are eager to help and have pertinent local info for sources and whatnot. A 12er on ice is a good icebreaker or can be used as payment for a lot of things in the country. That is how i started my veggie garden, a trailer full of composted horse manure for a 12 pack. Good deal for me, and i'm always welcome that way.......MIW

9. MIW, much better advice than the links that I gave BeZ.

You can teach a man to fish...

or something like that.

I called the "Hieress" company - the first link. They really werent that helpful. The woman kept trying to tell me just how great thier compost was. I asked what was in it and was told that it was yard waste "but we do take all of the plastic out of it".

So I asked, Do you add anything to your compost? Do you add fish, or manure, or anything? Her reply was, "No, no, no! Our compost is pure! Why would we want to add anything to it?"

Sorry BeZ...*lol* I tried.

Listen to MIW. Your best bet, really, is to get your own heap going - if not for now, then think about later. At the very least you can add some diversity that your manure compost cant give you.

jerry.

10. Bez, I am sure this is no consulation to you but, I live downtown in a major city and I have been able to source material. I must say it has not been easy. I have spent hours on here and the phone. I finally got my major sources and I have to put some miles between the house and the source, but they are there. Like MIW stated, and I think as well, the key is talking and communicating with folks.

I too, live in an organically barren state. There are pockets of us popping up here and there.
    Don't give up man. Dig deep. It's out there.

11. There are thousands of people in Oregon that claim to grow organically.

A few of them actually do.

LD

12. There are pockets of us popping up here and there.

Nice!

jerry

13. I did get a call back from a guy about goat manure compost, $25 for a truck load. To late tho, for now. I'm always keeping my ear and eyes open.
    Thanks for the continued support fellas, very righteous.

My biggest concern with ewc and compost tho is the microbial life and CEC and water retention abilities.
    It's my understanding that ewc and compost, although diverse in nutrients and microbial life offers very little in the way of nutritional value. Most tested compost and ewc is 1. 1. 1. Rt? Not enough nutrition to sustain a healthy plant throughout flower. Unless maybe its all you used, and then the plant would probably die due to lack of oxygen.
    So is this not why our soil mixes are
    amended to boost the nutritional value?

I'm brewing my first tea with the dairy doo products, and although I don't have a microscope I think ill be able to determine weather its full of life by the reaction from the plants. And I do have one that was a little root bound and is not looking as healthy as I would hope, so we'll see.
    I'm not extremely concerned I did do my homework and contacted not only the company but certified organic farmers that use there product. And for $14 I got #80 of compost that will last several grows, so not a bad deal really. The shitty thing is ewc was a buck a pound so $25 but again it will last several grows.

Jerry I also contacted heiress, lol, and its just municipal yard waste compost.

Thanks again fellas, BeZ...V

14. Jerry I also contacted heiress, lol, and its just municipal yard waste compost.

And I thought I was gonna be the hero by calling them for you - to find out the same thing BeZ...*lol*

You'll get there, man. In the meantime, if you do have the ways and means - start collecting some leaves and household kitchen scraps. It takes time, but you know whats in ther, and its free!

jerry.

15. Yeah jerry I've recently seen kitchen composters. It'd be nice to have something reliable for teas at least.

BeZ...V

16. #39 WeeDroid, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2011
    Imo, and stated in my soil crafting topic, the three most important composts are bokashi (food waste), vermicropping (ewc's) and leaf compost.

Leaf compost takes the longest and is cheap as it gets. Do it now. If I had the space and leaf, I would have 3 giant piles going.

Ewc's take some time but can generally be bought if you need to. Still, make plans to have a worm bin asap.

Might as well get a bokashi bucket going. If you get it right, it only takes a few weeks to process, but can take longer.

Bokashi compost and leaf mold compost are both outstanding inputs for a thermo compost pile. Compost (from the thermo compost pile) is great for final soil mixes and one of the best foods for a worm bin (horse manure is another good one). The sooner you get a leaf pile going and ready, the sooner you can have a stunning thermo pile.

This is still a fairly short and easy to read thread. It has all of my formulas in there.

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/962201-urban-soil-crafting.html

17. homemade compost rocks!

Attached Files: