Is there a natural way to kill fungus nat larvae

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by BeZtoken, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Feral trees. :D

2. #162 LumperDawgz2, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2012
    poppybgood

Wow - I never thought I'd see this plant mentioned on any gardening board. Ever.

This tree does produce almost all of the same compounds as the Neem (Margosa Tree) and Karanja (Pongam Tree) with a couple of minor versions of one specific compound, nimbin, which seems to be consistent in that in many of the plants (and trees) where this compound is found, it will appear in one form or perhaps 2 and there are 3 different nimbin versions ('flavors') with differences that aren't worth explaining unless you've decided to waste a whole bunch of your time and study neem tree compounds. Like me - LOL

As you probably already know, it also produces Tetranortriterpenes which you'll find references warning you to be very afraid because it's a poison.

"Auntie Em! Auntie Em! There's a storm abrewin'!"

It would be irresponsible for me to tell you carte blanch that it's safe to use because of my senility issues and general ignorance so here's the abstract from Department of Chemistry, Institute of Technology, Powai, Mumbai
    Boo!

Like both the neem and karanja seeds/berries, the berries from this tree will have the highest concentrations of all the Terpene sub-groups - Monoterpenoils, Terpene esters, Monoterpenes, Terpenoid oxides, Sesquiterpenes and Ketones.

If you're interested in information on extracting the oil from the berries then just let me know. I've got a fairly decent-sized library on this group of plants with most of them published in India and Pakistan - Go Urdus!

You're dancin' my friend.

LD

3. Damn poppy you just impressed LD. Lol. Im glad to see that its identical(enough). I dare to ask: How would one extract this oil?
    Id hate for all that knowledge to go to waste....

4. I'll pull the specific information on how it has been done for centuries. It's not all that complicated but how you get there will require some amount of design.

Study the method of extracting the oil from olives - you're 99% there. Cold-pressed to minimize damage to the oil and its compounds. The material that remains would be the equivalent of neem meal or neem cake.

Like olives you'd want to do 2 or 3 pressings to remove as much of the oil as possible. Neem meal produced India contains around 5% of the neem oil so that will give you a goal to work towards.

Having said that, you could also chop the berries, VASTLY reduce the amount and add that to your soil as a meal cake. But again you would want a very small amount - like maybe 1.5 - 2 tablespoons to 1 c.f. of potting soil.

Pressing the oil would be the best route, IMHO. The berries of any of the neem-related plants produce copious amounts of oil. Pretty amazing actually.

LD

5. Cool, you answered the question I didnt even ask yet as well:) Im really excited about doing this and I hope I can find a specimen locally.

6. VooDoom

I wanted to confirm something before explaining the extraction processes to you (and others if interested).

Commercially the usual methods employed are the following:

Mechanical - think olive oil - self-explanatory

Steam - this is the primary method used to extract the most amount of oil but it comes at a cost by giving you lower compound levels. This is the oil that is used in consumer products that come ready to apply (pre-mixed). None of them are worth dragging home. None.

Solvent - this term is widely applied. It can be an agent like alcohol. When oil is removed from the seeds and treated with alcohol, virtually all of the Azadirachtin and related compounds separate from the oil itself. The remaining oil - without the Azadirachtin - is called Clarified Hydrophobic Extract (CHE) of Neem Oil. The extracted Azadirachtin is what you find in Azatrol and Azamax. This part of the industry is definitely dominated by 2 factories in China.

The CHE is sold as a pesticide but not as a fungicide because the Azadirachtin has been removed. (EPA Fact Sheet #025007)

Cold-Pressed - this is basically the Mechanical method with a huge difference - in this process the temperatures are controlled to maximize the efficiency of the oil itself and the compounds that they contain. This also the most expensive extraction method. This is the method used for organic neem (and karanja) oils sold by NeemResource.com

Looks like Mechanical extraction method is the path of least resistance if you want to end up with purest oil and meal. That's my read anyway.

HTH

LD

7. Add Einstein Oil to the Steam list of worthless products. $420.00 a gallon.......

8. I find that lemon juice (the pancake kind) mixed with water and lightly sprayed over the plants kills mould and makes the room smell like lemons :) anyone else tried this?

9. I can't take any credit for that knowledge. My grandmother, who would be 111 years old now grew up in the day when china berries were commonly used in the deep south as insecicide/fungicide. It was also said it was used as a cure for scabees(skin mites) and wormer for hogs. I came around in the days of Malathion and Maneb, well after the old ways were put to rest here. The old stories I heard(and lectures about never, ever eating those berries) was the berries were pressed in a cauldron, then water and soap were added and the mix simmered till it was bathwater hot. Then, it sat and was agitated for a number of days before it was strained through a pillowcase and applied to the garden. The renderings were added to the pig slop. For use as a termite repellant for cannabis, my Dad would gather them in their season, spread them out on the chicken coop to dry, then bag them up in a croaker sack for the next season. Then they would be smashed(very pleasant, kind of acrid citrus smell) and added to the bottom of the planting trenches.

10. poppybgood

Have smelled straight neem oil? If so are there any similarities?

Neem definitely does not have any citrus smells. Some have described it as almonds which led me over to Google.com to see if the term 'almond' means different things around the world because almonds never came to my mind.

I couldn't really describe it with any accuracy except that the smell isn't all that pleasant or unpleasant. It's a tough one to describe.

LD

11. Poppy- You have a lot of family history. That is something to be proud of in my book.
    LD- why is it so expensive to cold press? As ideally i would want to synthesize the most beneficial oil(retaining the compounds).

12. LD, yes, the smell is similar, but not the same. Kind of reminds me of unripened persimmons. I've never had the opportunity to smell fresh almonds.Vood, yep, the love of growing and raising things goes back aways in my family.

13. ive flung many a china berry with a slingshot and ive been hit by as many times as well. the home remedies i'm familiar with sound a lot like what your folks did. drying and pulverizing the berries, steeping the leave and berries and using the tea. its been written that the cousin of the china berry, the neem tree, is the neem trees very, very close first place for the azadirachtin properties.

crush them up and use the powder/mash or use the tea. i always loved the china berry tree.

14. Yep, those dried china berries will leave a helluva whelp too !! You ever notice there's only one bug that eats them(at least here)?. Little red and black buggers. I think they are called rain tree bugs.

15. I tried to rep you for your classic Southern remedy, but was informed I must spread it more. My flowers are still on course to:D!

16. I did a little research and to my dismay the CB cannot withstand the winters of my elevation:( Guess Ill be going with the NeemMeal afterall. LMAO.

17. Liquid Ladybug. Its the shit. 100% organic and usable up until the day of harvest in extreme cases. Made specifically for mites but I knocked a fungus gnat problem out with it in 2 treatments.

18. the solid ones are cool too:

[​IMG]