Jerrys Organic Obsession

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by jerry111165, Nov 20, 2011.

1. That'd a sick barn for the horse too bro. :) I'm digging it jerry!

2. your journal is awesome!

3. thank you Skunkpatronus

thank you CQ and thanks for the garlic ginger chilli pepper paste info - will try that as well

swap

4. Hey Lager! Long time bro!

5. My garden plants were my test bed to make sure my MJ soil mix wasn't too hot. My tomato plants are twice as big as last year in their miracle grow potting soil mix...what a miracle! Nobody is complaining about the mix at all, not that your mix is anything like mine :) My soil mix is like a miller (not miller lite, that's miracle grow) to your ... Bells Oberon! Mmmm, what a difference. But whatever I did my garden plants love it, my one MJ plant that's going seems to be happy as well. Can't wait to get this one done and on to round two.

6. Wow Jerry. Everything looks great here, inside and out. That horse barn is amazing, I wish I had the skills to build like that. I just finished up a little room remodeling, lol took me two week, shoulda taken 1. :smoke:

7. CQ, wish I lived near you, I'd be chopping your Comfrey!!
    LMFAO

8. CQ, wish I lived near you, I'd be chopping your Comfrey!!
    LMFAO It's right on the street, literally in it.

9. Good job on my part - people are ordering dried Comfrey online, searching the forest for wild Comfrey and there mine sits.....

There's over 30 Borage starts coming up from last year's planting - the seeds over-wintered. Weird.

10. CQ,

For applying calcium to tomato leaves would you recommend the eggshell vinegar mix added to water (1/4 cup to 1 gallon) and pro tekt? Or is a different calcium source preferred? Thanks.

11. Why not the Infamous Bocking 14 root cuttings?

12. The Comfrey in the photos is the Bocking 14 - what I was saying but didn't take any photos is that in addition to the Comfrey plants there are all these Borage plants which is an annual. So I've got both.

Borage is a traditional companion plant for strawberries and tomatoes with old timers.

CQ

13. I'm stoned. My apologies

14. #3194 ComfreyQuery, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
    TEL

A kelp meal tea would be a good way - Calcium (Ca) in Kelp runs around 30,000 ppm [cite]

There is another option and that's using one of the coagulants used to make tofu. The Japanese have traditionally used Calcium Chloride and the Chinese tofu (doufu) is made using Calcium Sulfate (Gypsum)

The Japanese material, Calcium Chloride is made from seawater where the Sodium has been separated om the Sodium Chloride compound (salt). This is sold at Asian markets well as saltwater aquariums stores. They add this to increase the Calcium levels in the tank for organisms that use Calcium to create Calcium Carbonate - the stuff crab, oyster and lobster shells are made from.

Gypsum - the agricultural variety at Home Depot - around $6.00 for a bag. The Calcium is in elemental form and the Sulfur is immediately available. Using Gypsum would give you Calcium as well as a pesticide and fungicide from the Sulfur (S) element.

1 tablespoon to 1 gallon of water. Both of these mineral compounds are approved for 'organic food production' - if not you wouldn't be able to serve tofu in a vegetarian restaurant = armed insurrection.

HTH

CQ

15. Awesome! Thanks for the detailed reply. We have been having some chilly foggy nights and the tomato plants are not that happy about it.

16. That's why the California tomato production is centered over in Patterson and not in the valley - lots of fog, right?

LOL

17. I try to avoid the valley if possible. Make two trips a year, one on the way to yosemite and one on the way back.

18. Good plan indeed!

I've been to Reedley and Pixley - once.

19. I think this has been discussed before but I'm too lazy to look it up, obviously put the neem and silica together then into the water, but which comes first the aloe or the neem solution? I hear mixing up the order in which they are put can mess up the mix? I believe it was in Papa Wayne's thread where he messed up on a neem solution by adding aloe after the neem?

20. Oregon Tilth Sleeps With The Devil
    This wasn't a merger - it was a sell out. As of 4:00 PM this afternoon over 50 long time members quit the organization (doesn't affect their certification) in protest. I was in that group.

It's not so much the merger - it's the name.

CQ