EXP ONLY PLZ- HYDRO+ chlorine/chloramine/pool shock as daily regimen.

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Dustybowlz, Nov 2, 2011.

1. you did, it does not take care of iron... they have iron only filters just because its so destructive... good call though

2. Well the UV its self wouldn't be doing anything to the iron.. that would be the other membranes an filters in the RO settup. The UV. Kills 100% of all microorganisims.. if its a iron bacterial spore or anything alive, it should be dead. I mean they use UV to sterilize operating equipment an such. On a good note tihspeed. My RO system just arrived with my UV filter from growonix. I've been having a brown slime algae problem for over a year now in my cch20 setup.. finally found a bunch of usefull Info online.. poured in some physan 20.. shit was so strong at eating the bad stuff an made so much foam it pushed the lids off all my buckets in the settup lol.

3. well i cant wait for that update if the filter solves your problems.... and pics or it never happen

4. Lol here's a shot like 3 seconds after putting in approx 3ml of physan20.. to say I had a mass brown algae infection is an understatement.An that isn't even the full dose once I squirted the rest in all the lids on the system started rising an popped off. Mind you this is (the res)one of 17, 8gallon buckets in the cch20 settup.

ForumRunner_20111111_083948.png

5. This is all correct. The problem is iron bacteria uses oxygen to convert available soluble ferrous iron back into an insoluble reddish precipitate of ferric iron. The resulting ferric oxide is insoluble, and appears as brown gelatinous slime. They are known to grow and proliferate in waters containing as low as 0.1mg/l of iron. However, at least 0.3 ppm of dissolved oxygen is needed to carry out oxidation.

The only way to remove it from free standing water is chlorine or other chemical disenfectants.

You can also remove it with green sand,filox or ion exchange filters. All range in efficiency and cost.

They have proven that uv does NOT remove the iron bactera.

"most" labs are run off municipal water source. One that is Pre-treated. This raises the efficiency of there filtration systems. I have NO filtration systems before my RO filter. Water tests out ok but if theres ferric iron there you know you have iron bacteria. If it was all ferrous then you know its good.

I need to add a pre filter to get the bacteria, then ro to drop the TDS.

Hope I explained it well enough?

6. Ok so I am, for the most part, not an impulse buyer. I keep researching cost vs efficiency.

Now im torn on what to instal. All depends what I want/can afford.

I have some options, all remove iron bacteria.

-Water softener would remove calcuim as well as my iron bacteria. AFter doing some research, it seems anything over 160ppms is considered "hard" water. My water is 200ppms. This high calcium AS WELL as the iron biofouling take a serious toll on the membranes in the RO filter. Since Im going to change all my RO filters when I get my new whole house filter, I can filter anything that is left coming out of the house filter. If I use a softener. I could lower my calcium level and iron bacteria @ house filter, then the rest of the crap at the RO. Leaving me clean water.

-Green sand/filox, This only removes iron, manganese, magnesium and some other micro nutes. It will NOT remove calcium (so i hve been told). This could still plug stuff in my house, cause calcium scaline over time and premature wear on the RO system.

The water softener is spendy. It lasts for ever though due to the back washing.

The green sand is about a 3rd the cost.

Hmmm.....

7. Speed-

You also said "you hoped" I didnt cholrinate my "house and appliances" trying to kill the stuff.

Why did you say that? Experience or?

My DOH, DOE, DOA, County water treatment plant, local well drillers and everyone I talked to say I need regular maint with chlorine. I got a much better process emailed to me that doesnt require storing water. I just need to make dammed sure I dont use any water for like a week. Ill need to fill every last jug I have and possibly treat it with either H202 or calcium hypoclorite and allow enough time to transpire.

8. Forgot to mention, been on the phone with soo many filtration system companies.

Hear lots of rumor that growonix's is trying to lie there way to the top, now I havent found any info to give an opinion either way, I have heard this from more than one source. When I contacted them, they tried feeding me full of bs ways to erradicate iron bacteria. Ways that arent proven to work. So they really really tried to "car sales pitch" me as best they could, didnt like that much.

Since I own a hydro logic system I figured Id call them. Dammed informative, excelent cust service and many tips and links provided via email from cust support. Well anyway, Jason over there in tech support says that the best cust vs efficiency is chlorine injection. He was origionally trying to get me into a lesser expensive filox filtration system. He just called me and told me hes been researching all day. He said that the best/ most safe means is chlorine treatment. Both in the well and as an injection.

So it goes to show why municipal water sources use chlorine. Its safe and effective at killing bacteria. It just transpires so that loweres its efficiency.

9. if you were to get a soft water machine its easier for a R.O. filter to remove the bad contaminates with soft water than without... to me that seems like the best solution...

adding chlorine seems like a awesome Idea until you have to have a giant tank to maintain pressure or a inline pump... I also don't care for the idea of having large chunks of iron floating around my pipes possibly fowling up my appliances... but thats just me... but you said after some research the tank might not be needed but this only meets half the problem

also a soft water machine offers a return value.. its a huge plus when selling a home...having a iron only filter seems like a giant bandage on a recently discovered problem, who knows what problems have occurred without the iron filter... I've almost purchased three houses based on sweet filters, its just so much less of a hassle if the house already has filtered water and you get every penny you put into them... If you do decide to go soft water don't go cheap... the more you spend, typically, you get a better machine... besides you said it yourself you have A typical hard water... maybe not super hard by most peoples standards,but hard none the less... so why not kill two birds with one stone... get the soft water(which helps appliances run more efficiently as well as softer skin when showering)

I agree with the HydroLogic tech support, I've called Greners who I got my hydrologic system from and I sat on the phone for over an hour while a guy broke down their entire system and vowed to help as long as it took... I found out the problem was my own, but never the less... solid service and a very fine product

the reason I asked if you chlorinated your well... like previously stated... if you dump chlorine in the well it causes the large particles of iron to form into large chunks... like pebbles... they flow threw the pipes and kill your appliances... a small internet search will explain it better but thats the skinny

so to kinda condense things... if you get a soft water machine and you try to sell your house... it just appears you wanted to have soft water, rather than knowing your well was contaminated with Iron Bacteria... it could make or break a house deal... and I always want a return on an investment....

either way... im super tuned in bro

10. #50 Dustybowlz, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2011
    Were truely on the same page..

I have not, yet shocked the well. Not tilll I had all available info. I asked about the particles broken up durring shock/flushing process to each well driller I talked to, since that question was most relevent to them. They said after I shock treat it, let a hose run till the water is clean. Chose a hose closeset to pump to deter the particles from entering the home. They said there familiar with my area and letting a hose run wont "over pump" my well. I could just pump it till its free of sediment.

This could work.... I hope..

Im just wondering know WTF I do for 48 hours with out being able to use water, No shower, no toilet flush, nothing... Lame.

Now I gota figue out what I should use to pre treat any water (used for the grow). Like h202 or shock to kill the bacteria, but not be in such high concentration I can aggitate it and allow enough to transpire to be able to use in a reasonable amount of time...

EDIT- I will NOT be allowing the chlorine treatment to enter things like washer, dish washer, fridge or hot water heater. This, in theory, could still have viable bacteria. This is somthing ill have to deal with. I will NOT be damaging my stuff to erradicate this bacteria.

11. [quote name='"Tihspeed"']A test run of GH would be cheap,60 or so

And yeah, my wife is mega done with my shopping habits, hahaha[/quote]

God I LOVE not having to justify spending money on my girls!

12. Well god I love my wife....

Honestly, for my first grow..... Im way over budget and she didn't bat an eye...... Its the continuous buying that gets to her.

13. [quote name='"Dustybowlz"']Well god I love my wife....

Honestly, for my first grow..... Im way over budget and she didn't bat an eye...... Its the continuous buying that gets to her.[/quote]

Touche :) Tis why I've divorced twice. I'm an I not a we.

14. then you truly have not yet tasted life... knowing and having a true partner in life is always a give and take....

I also require special attention... I'll spend my way right into the poor house.... being bipolar makes me want everything, im super mega impulsive... I always ask for permission before spending money... it seems lame to people trying to break free of the shackles of living with their parents, but I find what my wife and I do works for me... and Im fine with not balancing the budget... and despite my income I've always lived paycheck to paycheck... now I look at my bank statements and I wanna go shopping.....

my wife is awesome.... I would cross heaven and earth if she simply asked me too...

You should only pray to be as shackled as me.....:hello:

15. I don't know how I feel about this.... I don't know if i'd be going off someone elses word about free running water to cleanse the water, so to speak... that does not mean it won't work...

seems like you should be walking to the neighbors house to ask about what they did.... seems the answer might be as simple as a walk...

I'd research heavily before the chlorination of the well..... this could make the whole situation worse... but your living with the problem, not me...

I asked my water friend... like I previously suggested, he didn't know anything... sorry i never chimed back in.... I figured no information was as good as not bumping the thread to chime in with nothing

16. Well if u look into well and iron bacteria, EVERYONE chlorinates there wells. Either once or twice a year!?!

Neighbor says, there water isn't good. They drink bottled water.

17. hahahaha... so they live with the pink toilet water? you would have to know there was a problem when the water was pink... what about showering with it??? that sounds like pre-mature balding waiting to happen...

[​IMG]

18. There is actually no health problems to human. That doesn't make my neighbors clean people though either. Since it changes the way iron is it's more of the red and pink.

When I talk to my local county department of health they told me that it's supposed to be done every year but that most people never do it. I'm guessing that most people that have this problem growing in soil..

19. Bacteria in Water Wells

I was making light of the increased iron and what it does to humans... but it still kinda freaks me out...

but it appears that the flush method appears to work... and like you said.. two days with no running water... sounds like you and mrs. need to have a weekend get away...

I'd do the flush method to get by for now and to treat the pipes... and i'd still get a soft water system... it would never hurt... and since you like to be over board its just sound advice...

20. [quote name='"Tihspeed"']

then you truly have not yet tasted life... knowing and having a true partner in life is always a give and take....

I also require special attention... I'll spend my way right into the poor house.... being bipolar makes me want everything, im super mega impulsive... I always ask for permission before spending money... it seems lame to people trying to break free of the shackles of living with their parents, but I find what my wife and I do works for me... and Im fine with not balancing the budget... and despite my income I've always lived paycheck to paycheck... now I look at my bank statements and I wanna go shopping.....

my wife is awesome.... I would cross heaven and earth if she simply asked me too...

You should only pray to be as shackled as me.....:hello:[/quote]

I agree. I'm not good at that whole forever thing. I don't think I'll ever find it because I don't look. I'm happy with my life. Not everyone is made for marriage. I didn't mean the comment to sound snide or shity. Just one of the many things I enjoy about being a me and not a we.