EXP ONLY PLZ- HYDRO+ chlorine/chloramine/pool shock as daily regimen.

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Dustybowlz, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Long story short, been at DWC bubble buckets for a year. Can't get it dialed in. I use well water and am battling somthing called "iron bacteria and possible sodium bacteria". I can NOT find efficient biological control agents that work as effective means of eradication or control. I have MORE issues in veg then bloom, but that's besides the point. I also use untreated well water

Further research shows iron bacteria control is done with bleach/ chlorine or less efficiently chloramine. The benefit to using chlorine is its effectiveness, but it transpires over time, this makes "specific doses" a little difficult. Chloramine is less efficient but it does NOT transpire over time. Making it as potent day one as day of flush.

MOST people do not need to use / say using chlorine is bad as daily routines. That its better for bennes/ biological control agents. But iron bacteria has no predators. Well none I have found. I have tried everything and think a sterile rez is my only option (at least in veg for right now and at least until I get my green sand filter AND fully remove all viable spores from my plumbing).

I know there are a few known products put there, pool shock and H and G ZONE. Most that use zone either don't know why it works for "them" so they can't explain its effectiveness. Most that do NOT use zone swear its bad Juju. I think most that use zone originally use it for root rot or brown slime algae, in which it is not effective. Hence its bad wrap. If its the only thing to eliminate the spread of iron bacteria, I need to look at it as a possibility.

As for pool shock, I had suggestions to use it in my aero cloner, it worked awesome. I would love some more information on this product and wonder if anyone uses it 24/7 in a hydroponic system?

Thanks gc!

2. I use pool shock in my low pressure aero setup, pump and dump, cloner and have used it in dwc with great results. I put ¼ teaspoon in ½ gallon of water then 5 ml per gallon in the reservoir every 3-4 days. No root rot or clear slime.

Started with shock just in the cloner (after many failed attempts) but later had problems with slime and rot in my buckets, funny thing was other people in this area did not have any problems using tap water, I use RO. So I tried the clear rez/pool shock and problems gone.

Never heard of iron bacteria, hope you have better luck

3. #3 Dustybowlz, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2011
    [quote name='"mile"']I use pool shock in my low pressure aero setup, pump and dump, cloner and have used it in dwc with great results. I put ¼ teaspoon in ½ gallon of water then 5 ml per gallon in the reservoir every 3-4 days. No root rot or clear slime.

Started with shock just in the cloner (after many failed attempts) but later had problems with slime and rot in my buckets, funny thing was other people in this area did not have any problems using tap water, I use RO. So I tried the clear rez/pool shock and problems gone.

Never heard of iron bacteria, hope you have better luck[/quote]

U the man. This is the exact info I wanted!!

I totally understand taking 1/4tsp/gallon. This is now my diluted shock now in liquid form. Also, are u using this day 1 to harvest?

So you start off with 5ml/gallon and for regular maintenance you add an additional 5ml/gallon every 3 days? Sorry it sounds stupid. Just want to clear it up.

Are you using clear rez ALSO? Ive never heard if the stuff.

What nutes are u using? What additives are u using? All chemical or is there some organic?

Thanks again!!

4. EZ-Clone Clear Res
    [​IMG]

made specifically for aero cloners... i figured you knew about this...

5. Speed- I think jakester mentioned it when he was giving me instruction on how to mix and use shock in my aero cloner. He just said there's no point in buying it because the pool shock is nearly the same for much less.

I didn't correlate clear rez w/ ez cloner. Doh...

Still supper interested in running this solution 24/7 until my (stupid ocd) green sand filtration system is here and installed (Can't afford till harvest).

Any adverse effects, taste, growth... ect...

6. From the start I use the pool shock, when I do a rez change once a week then halfway in- between when I remember. I leave it out the last week ph water only.

Only used actual clear rez once then read about pool shock and use that now.

For nutes I use AN GMB, pro-tekt mostly for ph up, and am now going to use big bud (damn free samples). But I plan on ordering some sensi ph-perfect for the next grow. Btw thanks for the link tihspeed.

I (and others) don't find anything as far as taste, and growth is fantastic

7. Thanks again mile, as soon as I sit down at a computer im going to rep u. This is exactly what I was going for!

Im getting excited again!!

8. #8 Dustybowlz, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2011
    Ok so few things came to me yesterday.

1. Jakester suggested to use 1gram pool shock to 1gallon of water. Then use 1-2oz's of that solution per 5 gallons in my cloner. This mixture rate worked excellent.

Your rate is different. I did notice that I didn't smell the chlorine after it was bubbling in dwc like I did when I had the stronger rate in my cloner.

2. My research shows that chlorine transpires out if it is in liquid form. Same reason we add back every 3 days. My question is about the length of time the "gallon of shock solution" is strong enough to be effective for? Once we mix up our granular shock into the solution, how long can the solution sit before we must make more solution?

9. A pool company should know

10. Hay, I didn't even think of that!!

Ill give u more rep if the system will allow me!

11. the 5ml per gallon I read somewhere, on RIU dlively recommended 1 oz to five gallons, 1 oz is about 30ml so 5ml per gal would be 25ml so pretty close.

thats what I have been using and it works for me, but that is with RO, your water has nasties in it so the dosage you have been using might work better for you and apparently it has.

the chlorine does not seem to evaporate from a sealed container, I mix 1/2 gallon at a time, lasts about 2 weeks and still has a chlorine smell but it could be less than when first mixed. clear rez and zone can be on the shelves for months and they still work.

if you are worried about using too much you could use a tote or barrel fill it and give it a heavy dose of chlorine, bubble it it for 3+ days to kill everything then add that to your system and just put a light "maintenance dose" in with the plants.

12. If you notice theres orange tags on the DWC buckets, They label my experiment. Since I found out I have Iron bacteria, which has no predators, I dont know what works better then another, I dont think anyone else knows either.

I have
    -Subculture B/m
    -Botanicare aquashield
    -ZHO
    -Compost TEA (brewed with bennes and GH ancient forest)
    -HG Roots excel
    -Pool Shock

In 2x buckets I have Subcultures
    In 2x buckets I have Aquashield and ZHO
    In 1x bucket I have HG RE
    In 1x bucket I have Compost TEA

I let those run for a week, the ph climbed to 6.5 ( It has always raised like crazy but im on a LITFA roll) because I didnt want to alter the experiment by adding ph up/down and changing biological population. Each were different in there own way.

Subculture bucket- Water instantly turned a murky brown when I added the subcultures. The Iron bacteria was still on some of the roots. The subcultures went straight to the roots and turned everything nasty nasty brown. It took a while but the subcultures knocked the iron bacteria down and would not allow it to be a large solid mass. It was still there floating in the water but not getting bigger. The roots were still covered in nasty brown stuff though. I flushed the buckets and added everything just as I did the week before. I washed the buckets, net pots, roots, ect. After, roots were bright white. This photo is 24 hours after the flush.

[​IMG]

Compost tea bucket-Water stayed clear. Tea has been brewed many different ways, the last way was with subcultures. I am noticing a lot of the same nasty black/brown like I see in the subcultures bucket but the water isnt as murky. The iron bacteria isnt as affected as it is with just subcultures either. The roots were still covered in nasty brown stuff. I flushed the buckets and added everything just as I did the week before. I washed the buckets, net pots, roots, ect. After, roots were pretty white. This photo is 24 hours after the flush.

[​IMG]

Aquashield and ZHO- Water stayed clear on mix, water has been clean since day one. The roots stay white. The iron bacteria turned to clear slime. The slime lost a lot of mass. There is some brown at the bottom of bucket and some on the bucket walls, but the stuff on the roots was white and there wasnt much. I flushed the buckets and added everything just as I did the week before. I washed the buckets, net pots, roots, ect. After, roots were bright white, BUT I notice the roots are actually darker today. This photo is 24 hours after the flush.

[​IMG]

House and Garden Roots excel- Water stayed clear All brown got knocked off roots and lost mass. Water was boubling like crazy, like soap almost? Stayed boubling the whole week. Roots grew thicker then I had ever seen. Lots of root growth. No brown slime came back. This stuff is much better then I had expected. I flushed the buckets and added everything just as I did the week before. I washed the buckets, net pots, roots, ect. After, roots were bright white. This photo is 24 hours after the flush.

[​IMG]

Pool Shock- I didnt have high hopes for the subculture bucket. I took the worse one of the two and added something else. I took 1/4 teaspoon and added it to 1/2 gallon of water. I used this solution and added 5ml per gallon in my rez. This is a new bucket since flush so I dont have any info on it except it was the only bright white one this morning. I flushed the buckets and added everything just as I did the week before. I washed the buckets, net pots, roots, ect. After, roots were bright white. This photo is 24 hours after the flush.

[​IMG]

13. it appears the pool shock is working:hello:

14. #14 Dustybowlz, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2011
    [quote name='"Tihspeed"']it appears that ONLY the pool shock is working:hello:[/quote]

Fixed for you. Lol

I knew a sterile rez worked to kill the brown. Everyone just says not to run sterile 24/7.

I guess well see how the roots compare here soon enough.

Thanks for looking speed!

15. it really is a bummer you have to go threw such hassles to get things where you want them...

Ill continue to watch... at this point its the devil in the details that well help... :wave:

16. #16 Dustybowlz, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2011
    You couldn't have said it any better. At LEAST I've stopped blaming my self OR thinking I was being lazy or ignorant to some important info I kept over looking.

Now that I have kept my plants from being over nuted, the ph is, a smidge more stable in veg and 100% stable in bloom.

Im happy to finally be LITFA. So is my wifey.

If the shock treatment goes well. Ill be running it in everything till the house is correctly filtered. At least im moving forward.

I keep ya posted!

Oh and on the plus side, the iron bacteria can't thrive in soil. So all my soil plants arent affected. But its NOT enough motivation to give up on hydro....

17. good man... i like hydro... and dirt is kinda thoughtless once its dialed in... but im really diggin the coco man... best of both... once you get a handle the hydro problem you should give a bag of roots organics a go

18. Agreed! Once I dial this hydro in, ill need to keep experimenting. Coco is going to be next.

I have had lots if interest in clones transplanted to coco. I can't do this with out being versed in the media.

Actually, by that time u will be dialed in and I can come copy from you :)

19. hi how is it going so i have a root rot problem and was reading this thread and now will be trying the pool shock method also i dont use ro water. I have tried h2o2 and had minum reslutes

20. Also what kinda of pool shock r u guys using