what would we be without emotion?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by nolastnamex, Oct 29, 2011.

1. how would we act? like robotic drones with no type of feeling at all? would our system of living work out the way it was meant to?

emotions influence and cause us to do things that sometimes can be unfavorable to other people. (hiring a friend over someone else because of emotional bonds)

emotions control every decision we make a good percent of the time.
    so what would we be like without them?

would people argue? why would the need to? they wouldnt even care about another persons opinon because it wouldnt emotionally effect them.

what would we be like without emotions?! any theories? id love to hear them.

2. Look at some animals, most have little emotions. Yeah, we wouldn't be as intelligent without it.

3. Given that we'd still have the need for food and shelter.....I'd say there would be rampant greed and a kill or be killed way of life....

....shortly after...the human race would be extinct.

Without love, humans are nothing.

4. animals have lots of emotions, displayed obviously by pets like dogs, cats etc.

insects im not to sure.

5. [​IMG]

Yeah some animals display emotion, not near what humans are capable of...

6. The world would be perfect.

7. ..lol...b/c it would be devoid of humans

8. I disagree. I believe that's ALL they have, besides fight or flight. What they do NOT have is intelligence and the ability for abstract thinking.

My little parrolette-bird is a fucking box of emotions. The little fucker is bi-polar - I swear.

But this little guy gets happy, pissed, and indifferent. I can't tell if he gets sad, but I wouldn't doubt it.

Edit - I just saw your second post.

9. inhumane.

10. Is love just an emotion though, or is it something far more profound?

11. We would resort back to our basic urges, law would no longer be efficent, it wouldnt work at all. Right and wrong wouldnt exist as everyones right and wrong are different based on emotional responses. Art would no longer exist, it would be a primal world based only on survival and natural urges/responses.

12. Unemotional. Implications? Not really sure, that is pretty hard to imagine without my emotions getting in the way.

13. the world would be dexter morgan?

14. do you mean if we developed without emotions? or one day suddenly all human emotions are gone? either way it would drastically change everything we know. why research space anymore when im not emotionally invested in knowing what the fucks up there? why go to the moon? we have no emotions to care about going there. i agree with an above poster, it would probably be kill or be killed, no moves barred , fight for survival. with no emotions your only priority is to look out for #1.

15. I think the world would be a much better place if humans lost their emotions. Emotions lead us to do irrational things like fight each other when there is no reason to be harming one another, there is only a misundrerstanding. If people could explain themselves without getting angry or vengeful then we could have peace and, maybe even, a solution to the underlying problem. Emotions get in the way of reason and allows people, including myself, to behave stupidly or with out reason.

16. #16 Sovereign Psyche, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2011
    We would not be intelligent. All animals with any degree of intelligence have emotions. Insects are based on a strict action-reaction programming, much like a computer, but any animal that needs to make decisions needs some reason to do one thing over any other possible reaction.

Emotions are also related to creativity, which is what advances our civilization.

John R. Ehrenfeld: Biography

17. The movie Equilibrium is about that

18. We would die off.. I don't see many emotions in insects, other than fear. They typically care very little for the offspring. Mainly just drop and go. Same with fish.. I'm not saying that insects aren't capable of other emotions, but their emotion selection is rather bland.

There's an ant colony that lives underwater. When the tide goes out, they come out and gather food. They're all capable of walking on top of the water, but some seem to enjoy swimming through it instead.

Mammals on the other hand, need emotions. Love being a big one. Our babies don't mature as fast as fish and insects, we NEED to care for them. If there wasn't that love, when that baby gets squatted out, it wouldn't get cared for..

We wouldn't have made it without them. The next generation wouldn't get the care needed, we wouldn't strive for more, we'd be like the seed of a tall oak tree. All ready to go once we hit the ground, but as soon as we sprout, we'd die off..

Giant 'kraken' lair discovered: Cunning sea monster that preyed on ichthyosaurs

Kind of related on an unrelated note. Saying they think they found the "lair" of a giant octopus. One that was killing off those huge, bigger than buses, sea creatures back in the Triassic Period.

They think it was ripping the backbones apart and lining up the vertebrae to resemble it's own suckers..

Octopi are smart and creative..

19. I hate to burst your bubble but greed is an emotion.

20. Totally. I see life as greedy and selfish by nature.. Like the praying mantis. The female kills the male after they've mated.. I see that as selfishness on the female's part. She doesn't want him mating with any other females, she wants only HER genes to be passed down.

Same with when a lion takes over a pride and kills off all the cubs. Not only is he fearful for his position in the pride, he wants HIS genes to spread.

It's how life in general is. Do whatever it takes to live comfortably and spread your seed.. In a way, it's extremely greedy. People will say "well they can find a balance.." and it's not like that. A balance finds them.. If given the chance we were, any animal/insect would act the same way. Take as much as they can get..