how high to hang HPS light above my plants

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by budly, Oct 26, 2011.

1. How high do i want my 600W HPS above my plants?? i have been getting a little confused as of late, been hearing a few different storeys. just wanna clear it all up! i have 2 bubble buckets

2. Most people hang there lights about a foot above the tops, try it, and place your hand about 12" below, if your flesh burns move them up a bit...lol

good luck
    "V"

3. I've heard about 16 inches above the top of the plant... Some people with great ventilation can go as close as 10 or so inches.

4. There is no "set" limit. The limit is what your plants can tolerate. If you can pump enough cooled air into the grow area and you have your lamp vented properly you can get the plant top within 4" of the lamp. Put your face where the plant top is and breathe there for 10 or 15 seconds. That will give you a good measure of how your plant feels and what the proper distance is for your space.

5. Heat is only one consideration. The only one anyone ever mentions though. You should place the light close enough to have high intensity, but far enough to achieve good light spread. Pressing the light as far as you can is not the way to go, even if you can do so while keeping heat controlled.