EZ Cloner Slime Headache!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Aeroponics' started by caligrown1420, Oct 24, 2011.

1. So I've been using the EZ Cloner 30 site for about two years now. Ever since I've had it I've kept the method in which i use it pretty simple. For water-----Tap water strait out of the faucet which is ph'ed to around 5.5 to 6.0. I ditched the stupid "air hose" and upgraded to a better air stone to get higher levels of oxygen. The only time I ever used nutrients was at the end, after roots showed up and even then sparingly. Using this methodology I had nearly 100% success every time, except for the occasional asshole genetics. Now, however, for some reason I cannot beat this god damn white slime which from what I gather is called "white slime mold". It's relentless like a fly on shit no joke, I know somebody out there has to have an answer. So far, I've hardcore cleaned with bleach (h202 didn't do shit, I've used RO water (to eliminate the chance their's slime in my house pipes or municipal system) added plant safe algaecide and beneficial bacteria, along with some sensisyme to add some benifical enzymes. Some advice or shared experiences please as I am a master organic dirt guy, I just love the healthy aerocloner cuttings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. #3 Hank Alvarez, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2011
    Caligrown1420: I'm going to be watching you very closely because I'm seriously considering buying a cloner myself. I'm looking at a turbo cloner that accomodates 24 cuttings.

Have you tried using something called, 'medical grade' hydrogen peroxide? I think it's about 70% strength. What you usually get at the pahrmacy is on about 3% H2O2. Check your bottle.

When I hear the word 'slime' I immediately think of algae and when that happened to me in my Aerogardens a few years ago a well meaning friend suggested scrubbing the hell out of everything and using a cap full of H2O2, (a teaspoon), per gallon, and it it worked. Have you tried it?

The word 'tap water' scares me. You can pH it but whats your starting ppm's and what are they? My R/O'd and filtered and irradiated water from the water store is still 14 or 15 ppm's, but out of my tap it's 459! And there's nothing good for my plants in our water. It kills Walmart Gold Fish and the city says not to give it to infants or old farts like me. Our tap water pH here is usually about 8.8 or worse. If I had a larger volume of water to work with I'd buy an R/O unit but for five gallons every couple of weeks it's really not worth it. Hank

3. Hey cali, I'm new here to the site, was surfin the forum and I caught this....just before I joined the site I went out to wally world, bought 5lbs of calcium hypochlorite pool shock, and started mixing solution. The slime problem you have must first be avoided at all costs through sterility and cleanliness, but can be kept at bay with the pool shock solution. Plus your cloner smells nice. I haven't yet tried it in my Ebb and Flow system due to some PITA Afghani clones that REFUSE to root, but am looking forward to it. Mile is right you should check out the pool shock solution and try another run using it from cut right up until flush. JUST DON'T USE ORGANICS WITH TEH POOL SHOCK. It says right on the package that it "destroys organic contaminates"...and unless you put them there yourself all bacteria are "contaminates" lol

4. I'm following this... Very good info. I have one question about the pool shock route... I've seen that suggested a few times and have heard of other similar successes. But... Looking up what pool shock was, ehow, where all the facts come from, says "Shocking" a pool refers to using a chemical process called oxidization to break down water-soluble bather waste."

So... Could the problem be a lack of oxygen or clogged airstones, in which case the oxidation process in general would be impaired? Do not want to take the thread off topic but hoping someone can provide more wisdom :)

Thanks for the great thread, OP.

5. Well to be honest I am not 100% about the actual processes regarding the oxidation, but I know the chlorine in the pool shock has a part in it. I am also aware that there are more than one type of pool shock, the one that's safe for plants being calcium hypochlorite.

Now I do know that calcium and chlorine come from the breaking down of the calcium hypochlorite. And that the bacteria are possibly oxidized by either the reaction or the chlorine itself, as hydrogen peroxide oxidizes the bad bacteria and that's why both are so effective at controlling bacterial buildup.

Now that you have mentioned this I believe I will go a'googlin and and see what I can find. This is very interesting because I have seen the pool shock work wonders even in killing the fungus gnats living in my mother container full of coco, yet am not sure on exactly how.

As for the lack of oxygen you are entirely right and that could be either part or in whole the problem one is facing. Bad bacteria tend to be anaerobic, meaning that dissolved oxygen in the water would kill them and stagnant water is their Disney World.

Definitely a good idea and I will post on here with what I figure out, just try to remind me as I can forget lol.

Happy Growing ~23

6. lol. Deal.

7. Chlorine is the chemical most often used to keep swimming pools and Jacuzzis free of bacteria that can be hazardous to humans.
    Chlorine kills bacteria though a fairly simple chemical reaction. The chlorine solution you pour into the water breaks down into many different chemicals, including hypochlorous acid (HOCl) and hypochlorite ion (OCl-). Both kill microorganisms and bacteria by attacking the lipids in the cell walls and destroying the enzymes and structures inside the cell, rendering them oxidized and harmless. The difference between HOCl and OCl- is the speed at which they oxidize. Hypochlorous acid is able to oxidize the organisms in several seconds, while the hypochlorite ion may take up to 30 minutes.
    The levels of HOCl and OCl- vary with the pool's pH level. If the pH is too high, not enough HOCl is present and pool cleaning can take much longer than normal. Ideally, the level of pH in the pool should be between 7 and 8; 7.4 is ideal -- this is the pH of human tears. Once the HOCl and OCl- are done cleaning the pool, they either combine with another chemical, such as ammonia, or are broken down into single atoms. Both of these processes render the chlorine harmless. Sunlight speeds these processes up. You have to keep adding chlorine to the pool as it breaks down.
    While the bacteria-killing properties of chlorine are very useful, chlorine also has some side effects that can be annoying to humans, and possibly even hazardous. Chlorine has a very distinctive smell that most find unpleasant, and some find overwhelming. There is also the "itch factor" -- chlorine can cause certain skin types to become itchy and irritated. The hypochlorite ion causes many fabrics to fade quickly when not rinsed off immediately after exiting the pool. This is why your swimsuit looks faded and worn so early in the summer.
    Extremely high amounts of chlorine gas hovering above your pool can be hazardous to your breathing. Some companies have developed alternatives to chlorine, including other chemicals and ion generators. Some of these are good alternatives, but they don't achieve the cleanliness, oxidation levels or low price that chlorine provides.

Haha woke up, smoked a bowlski, and went a'googlin. I found this and found out exactly what goes on. It's pretty good info and has some stuff that will let others know to be safe when handling chlorine. It happened to be the first link too lol.

Happy Growing ~23

8. Dang! You know some shit! Thanks man. Is that your thing or did you just do a bunch of research? Either way thumbs up man. +rep when I'm at my PC later :)

9. And now I read your post properly. I'm way lit tho so I have a good excuse. Cheers and pass the pipe =]

10. Haha no doubt no doubt. Yeah that was a great link and quick with the information no beating around the bush. I'm glad I could help out.

Happy Growing ~23

11. I have a Turboclone 24 and coincidentally access to large quantities of ethanol (vodka) at up to 95% purity ( as pure as you get without a vacumn )...I use this to clean the cloner...But my question is ...could this be added to the Rez at a maintenance rate say 3% to discourage bacterial and algal growth... I would appreciate any and all input, as the dreaded snot is a problem in summer here.
    "D"