Is it ok to use both a 400w mh and a 400w hps at the same time in flowering?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by jinn420, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Hello everybody, my main grow room(10ftx10ft) is in week two of flowering. Growing in drip totes, H&G aquaflakes nutes and have 4 girls trained into a roughly 6 ft. diameter canopy. Been using just 1 400w hps with 3 supplemental cfl arrays(4-100w eqv. bulbs per array). I have a eye hortilux bulb in the hps that kicks ass as it is but I was thinking about running my 400w mh alongside the hps instead of the cfls. Was thinking about lighting half of the canopy with the mh and the other with the hps then moving the lights to either side daily. As long as I can keep temps below 86F would it be better to run both hid's? Thanks for any help on this

2. could you just get another bulb for the mh or isnt it a switchable ballast? or maybe a conversion bulb. the mh would work for sure but 2 hps would make it more even lighting, instead of blue on 1 side and red on the other.

3. They wont like the light switch they are going to get diffrent spectrum of light on diffrent parts of the plants everyday in veg its gonna want the blue specrum the way u have it now is fine. U should rly invest in a larger light with a room that size like a 600 or 1000

4. LOL...find it hard to believe you have such a set up and would be asking such a noob question. HID is the most effective light source for indoor MJ growing period. Shut off the floro's and fire up the second HID.

5. ive been using 125w(actual watt) 6500k cfls for supplemental lighting during flower and its made a big difference. use all the light you have. either use a conversion bulb or get another hps and use both and try to angle them to center on the plant and leave the cfls on the sides also

6. #6 jinn420, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2011
    :pSorry I know the hids are better just wasn't sure if the second one would be ok since it's a mh. I've heard people like hydromax say mh light messes with flowering cause of it's spectrum. Wasn't sure if I'd be better off rotating the single hps by itself or tossing the mh in with it. I'm guessing from what you say I'd be better off with both the mh and hps rotating in there. I've got both in there now and my air temp just above canopy level is 82F. I have a 6" centrifugal fan pumping in air from outside too.

7. No it's not switchable it's a dedicated mh ballast. Not sure if they make mh to hps conversion bulbs and if they do their probably 100$+ I'd imagine.

8. Cash strapped right now otherwise I'd get a 600w hps.

9. Should I run them side by side for a even spectrum? Or should I put them on either side of the canopy for constant complete hid light coverage. It'd be a little more work but I could rotate them around the canopy a few times a day. This is gonna be a sinsemilla crop for christmas so I want it to be good.:smoke:

10. Dude jist use the metal halid for veg alone woth the cfl amd then go to hps in bloom but keep the cfl