Obama Must Explain His Broken Promise on Medical Marijuana, and Soon

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by oltex, Oct 20, 2011.

1. #1 oltex, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2011
    Obama Must Explain His Broken Promise on Medical Marijuana, and Soon
    HuffingtonPost / Scott Morgan / 10.19,2011

This week's news that support for the legalization of marijuana has reached a record high of 50% ought to bother Obama's re-election team a little bit. No, not because pot's more popular than the president, although that really says a lot. The problem, rather, is that Obama's heavily publicized and widely praised promise to respect state medical marijuana laws has recently been shattered into more pieces than the campaign can count.

In only a few short months, the Obama administration has presided over a vicious series of political assaults on medical marijuana patients and providers across the nation, carried out by numerous federal agencies. The situation just continues to get more ugly and insane from one week to the next:

• Federal prosecutors have threatened to arrest state employees for administering state laws, resulting in stalled programs and reduced patient access.
    • U.S. Attorneys in California recently revived the Bush era tactic of threatening to seize property from landlords who rent to medical marijuana facilities.
    • After 9 years of failing to respond, the DEA recently denied a petition to reschedule marijuana, ignoring a vast body of scientific evidence proving the drug's medical efficacy.
    • Federal threats have caused numerous banks to close the accounts of businesses that provide medical marijuana to qualified patients.
    • The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms issued a surprising statement that medical marijuana patients may not purchase firearms.
    • The IRS is shaking down medical marijuana providers for millions of dollars based on an obscure tax provision aimed at drug traffickers.
    • A federal prosecutor even threatened to target newspapers that run ads for medical marijuana services.
    • And, of course, the DEA continues to raid tax-paying businesses that are legal under state law.
    As the American people appear all but prepared to end our war on marijuana once and for all, the federal government is busy doubling down on the even-more-mindless battle against people who use the drug medicinally. The disconnect is staggering and continues to expand as support for full legalization surges into the majority, while medical marijuana maintains the massive 80% national support it's had for some time now.

Today, at this very moment, support for the cause of marijuana reform has never been greater, and tomorrow it will be greater still. The surging momentum of the issue is generating discussion all around us, even by the media that once ignored it, which now misses no opportunity to cover the controversy over cannabis.

Alas, it seems the only person not talking about it is our president, who campaigned as an agent of change, who [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQr9ezr8UeA&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL49610C867C2CA258"]once spoke[/ame] with seeming sincerity of the need to "rethink and decriminalize our marijuana laws," who was elected after promising to reform federal enforcement priorities in medical marijuana states, and who earned universal praise from the press and the public when his administration announced its intention to do just that.

Whether deliberately or through a willful failure to follow the issue at all, Obama has thrown all of it away amidst an extraordinary stampede of over-the-top anti-pot posturing that makes Bush's drug war leadership look lazy by comparison. The situation is spiraling as we speak into new depths of absurdity, and many of the people who've made things this bad are busy brainstorming ways to make it worse.

Still, if there is one lesson to be learned from the recent history of marijuana policy in America, it is that support for reform is galvanized when the law is enforced in a manner that shocks the public conscience. The Obama Administration's past attempts at [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw0ghmUS05o&feature=player_embedded"]pandering[/ame] to demands for a more measured criminal justice philosophy prove that he was once paying attention. Now, as the tension escalates with each new federal threat, Obama's silence on the matter is becoming conspicuous and embarrassing.

The time has come for the president, and no one else, to come forward and explain to the American people why war is still being waged against patients and providers in states that permit the medical use of marijuana. What the people want has been perfectly clear for a long time, and if we can't have it, we deserve an honest answer as to why.

When Barrack Obama stood up in front of America and told us that our policies would be based on science and practical experience versus superstition and rhetoric,,we cheered.

Two days later he sent a memo to the ONDCP that none of the drug warriors or their supporting agencies had to follow either.

That should have told America that he is just another bought and paid for politician,because any drug policy should be built on true science

2. And before the 2012 election!!!!

3. when he said "I wont attack the medical marijuana industry" all i heard was "TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL"

4. As great a speaker as Obama is, I don't think even he can explain his way out of this one. Please note I said speaker....not doer.

5. I agree, he is a great orator, I believe this is one of the things that helped him win his presidency. That when Obama speaks people like to "listen", although we all know that no ones really paying attention :rolleyes:

6. what makes you think any politician is different?
    'wooo ron paul is the best'...until the end of his term.

7. Well, theres voting records, GOOD presidents, although we haven't had one for a very long time. Look at the persons status and what they have done, not what they say they'll do...

8. 'when people are ready to be free we wont need a government'

9. Not only that, but he or his administration has to own up to that little social experiment called We the People where FIVE of the top 10 petitions deal with legalization, the drug war, and legalizing hemp. I'm eager to hear their response.

10. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOpbNQXAIC4]Red Hot Chili Peppers - Politicians (mini rap) - YouTube[/ame]

11. Fuck Obama, the two-faced, lieing, and backstabbing prick. He can fucking burn in hell for all I care

12. Exactly. It goes with the saying : actions speak louder than words.

13. he dated a shemale in collage

14. I don't think he "needs" to explain. He did exactly what I expected him to do. Did any of you actually believe him?

15. Ask the puppeteer(s)

He could be anyone for the sake of argument, but the results probably would have been the same.

16. Agreed. I knew he was a fake from the beginning. You could see through his cloak of falsehood.

17. #17 rooster1369, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2011
    Obama is like every other president. A spokesman of his true master...The Bankers.
    Here’s a look into who was involved in setting up the Federal Reserve in 1913. * Rothschild Banks of London and Berlin
    * Lazard Brothers Bank of Paris
    * Israel Moses Sieff Banks of Italy
    * Warburg Bank of Hamburg, Germany and Amsterdam
    * Kuhn Loeb Bank of New York
    * Lehman Brothers Bank of New York
    * Goldman Sachs Bank of New York
    * Chase Manhattan Bank of New York (Controlled By the Rockefeller Family Tree)

"The real truth of the matter is, as you and I know, that a financial element in the large centers has owned the government of the U.S. since the days of Andrew Jackson."
    - U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt in a letter written Nov. 21, 1933 to Colonel E. Mandell House

“If congress has the right under the Constitution to issue paper money, it was given them to use themselves, not to be delegated to individuals or corporations.”
    - Andrew Jackson

Now congress on the other hand is owned by the corporatocracy. Look at any senator. They're either a board member or major shareholder or receive substantial campaign contributions from industries such as Lumber, Oil, Big Food, Big Pharma so they must do the bidding of their masters also. It's up to us as a whole citizenry of the United States to stop participating in this broken system. Face it what will make them listen? A bunch of boo hooers they get the cops to beat up or a whole country who shows up at government offices instead of polls demanding this country be run by the constitution and only the constitution. Not a bunch of laws that were influenced by bank and corporate motives. We are all truly sovereign citizens and above any man made law. We are sovereigns without subjects... and have none to govern but ourselves.

I'll vote for Ron Paul if he make's a ballot in my life. The banks would never allow an assasin to have a remote chance of taking office. It's suicide. The candidates that make the ballot are hand picked by the banks because they can further their motives(the banks). When you vote, the popular vote truly doesn't matter. The president is elected by the electoral college. This tells me that there's massive loop holes to influence the vote.

18. Here's his response: It would never pass. And I would have no chance to run again if I pushed for it. End of story.

19. His promise was broken by his AG,,when he issued his infamous memo,,,his failure to move forward and remove cannabis from schedule 1 is what caused the raids in CA and Oregon. His issuing that memo was as good as admitting that marijuana does have medical applications.

Or do you believe that the AG just issued that memo out of kindness?

If they had removed cannabis from schedule 1,,there would already be two or three more medicines made from raw marijuana in testing by now.

20. Those industries Mentioned above have spent billions on bribes...lobbying. Congress only keeps laws that the corporatoracy wants kept. If marijuana would become legal the timber, oil, pharma and many other industries would take a big hit in profits from this wonderful plant. A corporation is bound by law to increase profits of their shareholders. Legalization would cause huge losses in these industries as well as losses in money to senators. If these industries lose income so will the banks. The banks fear losing money, therefore they tell the president(s) to squash this potential threat to their income as the banks truly run this country. We must take this republic back to even get a glimpse of federal prohibition ending.