Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Attempting the mango theory..

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Pedroo, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Ive seen alot of threads on this....
    Eating mangos suppossedly gets you higher
    There is always debate on whether or not it works..
    Ive decided to try it for myself.. I ate a mango about an hour ago, and have another ready to eat while smoking and after. I will weigh out .4 and smoke it from my 1 foot gandalf pipe. i will keep you guys updated.
    Anyone care to share their experience with this?

2. Well idk eating in general takes away from how high you are and people eating mango thinking it'll get them higher might just be experiencing a placebo effect

3. Okay, well i smoked the whole .4 and am very high, however not higher than i normally am from smoking this amount. Id say for me, i dont think it made me higher. However i will see if my high maybe lasts longer than usual... I will update again later

4. this is extremely interesting.

5. Btw, the mangos were fucking delicious. I peeled them, and chopped um up. Then i squeezed two fresh limes on it and put some salt. Good lord it was delicious.

6. Lol that sounds like quality munchies

7. I thought it was that if you eat a mango an hour before you get high it'll curb your craving for sugars and sweet, because your blood sugar get's low when you smoke.

8. I always heard that mangoes have a small amount of THC, but not enough to do the job by themselves. Either way, I adore the things and eat them anyway, high or not.

9. I haven't researched this in a while, but IIRC: Mangoes contain a chemical that is released when you smoke that allows THC to pass the blood-brain barrier, so when you eat a mango, your brain is able to absorb the THC taken in faster than if you just smoked.

I've experimented with it a couple times and I think it works to a small degree, but it doesn't make you HIGHER it just makes you get your normal high faster, which can be perceived as being higher.

Don't quote me on that though..:smoke:

Your best bet is to eat the mango roughly an hour before smoking.

10. #10 Muphin, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2011
    The chemical is known as Myrcene, it allows things like THC to cross the blood/brain barrier much more efficiently, lower quality marijuana has less myrcene than better quality bud. Also the ripeness of a mango determines how much myrcene content is in it, a slightly overripe mango should be optimum for consumption. This is all just random data from reading old posts about this.

P.S. Smoking Gandalf's one foot pipe sounds pretty dirty.

11. Pic of pipe plz!!

12. If this is true I'd be a happy ass motherfucker since mangoes are my favorite fruits.

13. Myrcene is real. What it does is real. Mango 'theory' isn't a theory.

14. [quote name='"WhiteOnMyRice"']Well idk eating in general takes away from how high you are and people eating mango thinking it'll get them higher might just be experiencing a placebo effect[/quote]

Its not a placebo effect it genuinely gets you higher, something bout the protein or chemical inside or something like that. Saying you,re not high after you eat or not as high is a placebo effect.

15. It's real, I've done it and I passed out because I was so god damn baked, all I wanted to do was just lay around and then I slept.

Myrcene opens up your receptors, it's really good if you have a really low tolerance too!

16. Someone asked for a pic of the pipe. Here it is. And honestly i feel like my high lasted longer than usual. Not 100% sure. Could be placebo.

Attached Files:

17. For a much higher concentration of myrcene (the terpene in mangoes, responsible for the 'enhanced effect' noticed by some), a more economic investment would be a bottle of hops extract, or lemongrass oil. These are generally found in organic shops as simple flavoring elements and supplements, that normally would not be known to most for their beneficial anti-cancer/anti-mutagen, cannabinoid-enhancing properties.
    Fresh and homegrown cannabis, that has been properly cared for, should already be loaded with myrcene. People will notice the greatest amount of improvement when this 'trick' is used in conjunction with older, lower-grade herb, where its terpene content has already diminished.

Some lemongrass oils are up to 25% myrcene, and you get trace amounts of limonene, as well.... A mango is healthy and tasty, but effect-wise, if it's the myrcene you're after, there are better options. [​IMG]

There are terpenes that can benefit and enhance your life, as well the effect of your cannabis, in many plants...

[​IMG]

" These (terpenes) are MUCH more easily released from our cannabis, than THC. They can be released into the air to be inhaled upon breaking up the plant matter, and they are responsible for why people feel 'stoned' while cutting and manicuring freshly harvested cannabis. They are also responsible for police officers, claiming they get 'high' in the line of duty when clearing out a bust. It's in fact the terpenes that cause this feeling, not cannabinoids.

Alpha-Pinene Is found in various trees and plants, including cannabis. "This terpene is at the highest level in the Super Silver Haze. So if you like pine-tree smelling and tasting weed, think of growing this strain, or use it for crossings."

***Limonene "is a cyclic terpene. It is a colourless liquid at room temperatures with an extremely strong smell of oranges." This is where many strains get their citrus orange, lemon flavors and odors from.

Sabinene is found in high levels in many haze varieties.

***Myrcene, or β-myrcene, - THIS is the terpene available in some fruits and plants, including mangoes, that causes people to feel that eating mangoes before smoking, will get them 'higher', which is somewhat true, only if the myrcene levels are high enough, and not diluted by so much plant flesh. For a more reliable effect, simply sniff your preferably fresh bud the instant you break it open, and enjoy that nice fragrance, just prior to smoking it. True widow strains develop high levels of myrcene.

The fresher the herb, the more terpenes it likely has available. The terpenes are released so easily, that in some commercial bud they have often already mostly dissipated, before people have a chance to use the canna, in which case additional terpenes from fruit can help.

TERPENES IN GRAPH:
    1- ALPHA PINENE
    2- CAMPHENE
    3- BETA PINENE
    4- SABINENE
    5- DELTA-3 CARENE
    6- ALPHA PHELLANDRENE
    7- BETA-MYRCENE
    8- ALPHA TERPINENE
    9- LIMONENE
    10- 1.8-CINEOLE
    11- Y-TERPINENE
    12- CIS-OCIMENE
    13- TRANS-OCIMENE
    14- ALPHA TERPINOLENE
    15- TRANS-CARYOPHYLLENE
    16- ALPHA HUMULENE \t\t"

---------

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For enjoying as they are, or...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Yeah that was a lot of information for one post broski.

19. Theres couple factors that play into this such as the ripeness of the mango, I've tried it twice and the first time I did get noticeably higher and the second time I was just high not baked.