Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Does marinol (dronabinal) test post for THC

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Dizzle7, Sep 29, 2011.

1. I am a mast cell disease patient and I have chronic severe pain, nausea and I vomit ..... ALOT! For those that do not know what mast cell disease is, just google Systemic Cutaneous Mastocytosis and you will learn. This disease can turn into leukemia. Anyway, it sucks. I am prescribed just about everything under the sun and I am still miserable more then not. The question I have and can't even get the same answer from a pharmacist is, does synthetic THC marinol make an individual test positive for mary jane? The reason I ask is because I would much rather smoke then take the pill. Smoking just seems like it does way more for me. (Not seems like...DOES}!!!!!!!!!! Less pain, less nausea, less vomiting, I eat just about right after smoking<like a horse, where as the pill might not kick in for hours. The reason I ask this is because my job unfortunately randomly drug tests and I am affraid of loosing my job with a pos. urinalysis from smoking so I stick to the pill. Anyone, please feel free to tell me whatever you know about this. I hope 1 day Maryland will prescribe med MJ one day......

2. I don't know for certain but I would say there's a 90% chance that it would show up on a drug test. Even though marinol is synthentic it is exactly the same thing as thc. It also might depend on the drug test I'm not sure what cannabinoids they look for they might be byproducts of a different cannabinoid than thc.

3. Yes, Marinol gives you a positive for THC in most drug tests. There is a more discriminating (and expensive) test that can tell the difference between the natural and synthetic THCs by looking for one of the lesser cannabinoids, THCV.

Delta9-tetrahydrocannabivarin as a marker for the ingestion of marijuana versus Marinol: results of a clinical study (abst - 2001) Unbound MEDLINE | Delta9-tetrahydrocannabivarin as a marker for the ingestion of marijuana versus Marinol: results of a clinical study. PubMed Journal article abstract

Most businesses just use a standard and cheaper test. Your Marinol prescription should protect you, since it IS a legally prescribe-able, Schedule 3, medicine in ALL states. Unless they are "after your head" for some reason, you will be OK with your legally prescribed medicine- they'll be too cheap to spend the extra bucks.

If you click that first link in my sig, you will find many more studies and articles under "DRUG TESTING". And the studies under "CANCER -LEUKEMIA" may be of interest, too. Hope that helps, if it does, send me an email and I'll send you a free PDF of the BIG List with it's more up-to-date info.

Granny